UK licence converted into a Thai driving licence - my experience DLT Bangkok

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Normal people know it is a lot more involved obtaining a new licence than renewing an existing one.

Renewing an existing licence is getting a new one.

Taking a driving test is to obtain a driving licence, is also getting a new licence, because it is.............????

Do I sense someone has upset you today............????

• Haha 1

2 year licence is 200 baht, 5 yr is 500.

I lived near Pattaya and NEVER used the DLT or immigration in that town....just go to Chonburi.

You may find variations from th OP's description depending on which DLT you go to, but less s crowded ones take less time and cost your less.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:28 AM, transam said:

I don't speak Thai, I find the licencing folk very helpful, never a problem getting a licence.....:stoner:

I've done applications/renewals 3 times at Nakhon Si Thamarrat and 5 times at Morchit. Even with my basic Thai, their English was better and no problem at all on every occasion. IMO, NO NEED to pay an agent (unless you are lazy, incompetent or don't meet the requirements). 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/2/2023 at 11:01 AM, howerde said:

The  British embassy no longer issue residence documents in Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Proof of address

You can obtain a residence certificate from your local immigration office. Most authorities and banks in Thailand will accept a Thai Work Permit, household registration or a residency certificate from the Thai Immigration Bureau as proof of your address.

That, unfortunately, appears correct from the .GOV.UK website. I got my affirmation of address in November 2022 for renewal of car driving licence. I own my own condo, have a yellow book/Pink ID card and a non-o retirement extension for last 4 years. My M/C licence needs renewal next year. As I never spend 90 consecutive days in Thailand, and don't do 90 day reports, is it possible to get residence certificate from immigration?

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

And yet the agent for the UK Government, i.e. The Post Office, issue the 1949 version for travel to Thailand (mine did at least...)

I understand Thailand are recent signatories to the UN's 1968 Convention meaning they currently are signatories to both 1949 and 1968.  There's no doubting DLT's requirements at the moment.

To be honest, I doubt they'd even know.  When I obtained my first Thai licence, I didn't even have an IDP, just my UK licence.

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

That, unfortunately, appears correct from the .GOV.UK website. I got my affirmation of address in November 2022 for renewal of car driving licence. I own my own condo, have a yellow book/Pink ID card and a non-o retirement extension for last 4 years. My M/C licence needs renewal next year. As I never spend 90 consecutive days in Thailand, and don't do 90 day reports, is it possible to get residence certificate from immigration?

It is indeed unfortunate.

Pathum Thani immigration told me they wouldn't create the residence certificate as I don't 90 report. I've heard similar about Nonthaburi immigration. However, as with all things here YMMV!

I've contacted a couple of agencies to see if they can get me the COR and am going to follow up with the embassy. Will report back here if I have any luck...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

To be honest, I doubt they'd even know.  When I obtained my first Thai licence, I didn't even have an IDP, just my UK licence.

Using IDP is an option, your local licence is also accepted.  They do not ask for both.  My agent didn't insist on the IDP but preferred to use that instead of my UK licence.

image.png.ea0fbcb5c8b4675d8ef79f919e59da97.png

On 5/1/2023 at 2:24 PM, yeahbutif said:

As there seems to be some variation on how to deal3 and get the licence. And using an agent cuts the red tape.. so I would not take this as gospel if you do this yourself .. also odd that a residents cirtificate valid for one year as the ones you get from Pattaya only valid for one month.   

DLT accepts Residency Permit validity up to one year.

2 hours ago, yeahbutif said:
On 5/7/2023 at 6:28 PM, chmeatloaf said:

DLT accepts Residency Permit validity up to one year.

Wow is that just the DLT ?  Or immigration and banks selling a car ect.. 

I strongly suggest mileage may vary....   The only way to know is to try...  and then you may get different results from different DLT’s, Banks etc and even from different staff. 

I can confirm what OP wrote: a very efficient and easy process to get my 2-year valid Thai drivers Permit (two plastified cards - one for car and one for motorbike). 

I did it in my province at the SiSaKet DLT, without help of an agent and the whole process took less than 1 hour.

The required documents were:

- my Passport

- a Residence Certificate (provided free of charge by my SiSaKet Imm Office - but they needed an equally free of charge DLT request form to provide the Residence Certificate - so a back and forth visit was required);

- a medical attestation (60,- THB from the local clinic, delivered on the spot and valid for one month);

- one or two pass-photos

- an International Drivers Permit on my name

It is noteworthy to mention that my Belgian drivers license was not accepted by the DLT.  The reason being that the DLT only accepts english-language drivers permits, although the formats and symbols used on these permitsare universal.  So the Brits, Americans, Australians, and other english-language countries are lucky as they do not need an IDP, but I was required to get hold of such IDP last time I visited my home-country.

A Danish friend of mine who has only his danish-language drivers license, and no IDP, was forced to go through the whole 2-day DLT course with theory and practice lessons before the Thai drivers Permit was issued to him. 

• Like 1

It seems DLT prefer IDPs for the simple reason they are all in the same format and easy to read and understand.  I earlier posted a screen cap from DLT website.  A non-English driving licence can be translated and attested by one's Embassy.  Don't know of anyone using this method, but might be preferable to undertaking the 2-day test process.

• Like 1