New Car - breaking in an engine?

Is that still a thing?

So much has changed - my cars in hot hot Thailand do not overheat, do not blow hoses, tires rarely go flat and then seem to not leave me stranded... no tune-ups.

But, what about a breaking in the engine period of varying speeds - - is that still recommended?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Modern cars have engines which are already run in at the factory. My son has just bought a new car, the first service is at 15,000 km.

A fussbudget like me would probably change the oil after 500 km, but that would be the extent of any extra care.

Toyota wants the first service visit at 1000 km

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As I said, manufacturers nowadays break the engines in prior to putting in the vehicle. Perhaps you need a new prescription for your spectacles.

Legend has it the Russian T34 tank would generate about a kilo of iron filings in their oil system after just one hour of operation. Oils and metal alloys have come a long way since then.

I don't doubt the vehicle of your nom-de-plume would need breaking in. According to the owner's manual, a Hyundai Kona N does not. I further venture said vehicle would urinate all over your choice of vehicle on any road with a couple of bends in it.

There no pre-run brake in as such engines are engineered to percifit specs so that running the engine from new is still much the same as running a used engine from cold or after a a long run, some people care most don't. 

The the run of mill is still much the the same here's BM's recommendations.

Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it’s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once you’ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engine’s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, that’s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As I said, manufacturers nowadays break the engines in prior to putting in the vehicle. Perhaps you need a new prescription for your spectacles.

Legend has it the Russian T34 tank would generate about a kilo of iron filings in their oil system after just one hour of operation. Oils and metal alloys have come a long way since then.

I don't doubt the vehicle of your nom-de-plume would need breaking in. According to the owner's manual, a Hyundai Kona N does not. I further venture said vehicle would urinate all over your choice of vehicle on any road with a couple of bends in it.

I missed that, what has spectacles got to do with engine break-in.....:huh:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, transam said:

I missed that, what has spectacles got to do with engine break-in.....:huh:

If you are unable to read what I have posted.... oh, forget it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Many years ago, they did recommend breaking in an engine, but now with modern technology and synthetic oil, there really is no braking. And how fast or slow you can go. I do believe though when it comes to brakes, you should not slam on your brakes real hard for maybe the first thousand kilometers this way everything ends up sitting Better 

From my experience over 47 years of driving almost everything other than a military tank I would suggest you follow the dealers and model manual recommendation.

My 400d (diesel) required keeping RPM a few increments below red line, no speed above 85 KMS for the first 1,000 kms, no heavy acceleration, no engine-breaking (limiter), Premium diesel, after which simply follow the standard service period as per service manual. 

My e class, as a normally aspirated engine had the same requirements.

No low KM (e.g. at 1000 kms) oil change was recommended.

I watched the fluid levels of engine and gearbox, and fluid colour of the oil on the dipstick carefully (I always do, with a weekly check) as the cars ran in just to be safe.

Saw no appreciable rise in oil discolouration right up to First service period time at 10,000 (filter changed at this service too and at the 20K as per normal procedure) then 20Kms thereafter as is usual for Benz (and most other) diesels.

Edited by Tropposurfer

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Modern cars have engines which are already run in at the factory. My son has just bought a new car, the first service is at 15,000 km.

A fussbudget like me would probably change the oil after 500 km, but that would be the extent of any extra care.

not 100% correct !!  i bought triumph m/bike and they recommend run-in in also just bought MG car they also state needs RUNNING IN .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

not 100% correct !!  i bought triumph m/bike and they recommend run-in in also just bought MG car they also state needs RUNNING IN .

The new Triumph m/c's from what I know is run in via the Ecu not the rider. 

Other than racing engines I know of no car engine that's bench run in other within the development of a new engine. 

Driving a new motor I would say it's being bedded in IMO. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you are unable to read what I have posted.... oh, forget it.

????.............I still don't know what my spectacles have to do with engine break-in.....Oh, forget it................:neus:...................????

Like I said, I am a bit old school with ANY engine when new or refurbished.

With a new car/engine, I change the oil and filter at 1000 km, what ever the handbook says.

I also do not use hi-revs until that oil and filter change is done.

My early engine management idea has served me well on all the engines I dealt wiv over the years..........Even my heavy weight 7,000 rpm 6.8 V8 with nitrous.........:stoner:

• Thumbs Up 1