How good is Thailand?

Living the dream in smoke.  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, bignok said:

Back at you. Go tell a doctor you want to ride motorbikes at 85yo.

Crazy to think that isnt dangerous.

Saw him yesterday doc said no problem as long as you are fit enough.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I won't do 270kph like i do sometimes now. ????

To be fair... if you come off at that speed age and fitness are of little relevance... 

I’d be more concerned about observation and reaction... hitting a pothole etc taking a minor spill and it making a huge difference to my quality of life because at 85 yrs old everything breaks and in many cases its compete game changer....  That said, as you mentioned, quality of life is also about doing what you enjoy. 

I think what concerns most people about ‘older people’ on motorcycles is that they are extremely cautious and ride quite slowly and carefully rather than maintaining speed with the traffic around them etc (I think words such as ‘doddering' may be used) - In Thailand that has additional consequences and risks of the idiots around us are more likely to drive into us etc...

My father is 84yrs old...  He still drives, the Doctor has even given him a clean bill of health to drive. 

IMO, he shouldn’t be driving - of course he’d never accept that, and I don’t blame him, but at least he’s in a car (which concerns me for other road users). 

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To be fair... if you come off at that speed age and fitness are of little relevance... 

I’d be more concerned about observation and reaction... hitting a pothole etc taking a minor spill and it making a huge difference to my quality of life because at 85 yrs old everything breaks and in many cases its compete game changer....  That said, as you mentioned, quality of life is also about doing what you enjoy. 

I think what concerns most people about ‘older people’ on motorcycles is that they are extremely cautious and ride quite slowly and carefully rather than maintaining speed with the traffic around them etc (I think words such as ‘doddering' may be used) - In Thailand that has additional consequences and risks of the idiots around us are more likely to drive into us etc...

My father is 84yrs old...  He still drives, the Doctor has even given him a clean bill of health to drive. 

IMO, he shouldn’t be driving - of course he’d never accept that, and I don’t blame him, but at least he’s in a car (which concerns me for other road users). 

Being of able body and mind whatever anybody thinks an individual should be able to live their life the way they want. 

South Thailand and Malaysia are fine most of the time.

Everything north of BKK should be avoided during hot season.

BKK should be systematically avoided imo.

South of BKK is pretty pollution free most of the time.

I don't think Hua Hin or Surat Thani had any real bad days lately...

In Malaysia, Penang, Cameron Highlands or Malacca are also pollution-free most of the time (99% I'd say).

20 hours ago, GameMaster said:

In Malaysia, Penang, Cameron Highlands or Malacca are also pollution-free most of the time (99% I'd say).

Depends on what they do in Indonesia. Air quality in Malaysia, Singapore can get bad between June and August with slash and burn clearance in Kalimantan and Sumatra. If it's really bad it can extend into southern Thailand too.

They're already getting concerned in Malaysia.

"KUALA LUMPUR, April 16 — The haze occurrence in the country is expected to be worse this year compared to the last three years since plantation and industrial activities have returned to normal operations."

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2023/04/16/minister-haze-will-be-worse-this-year-as-plantation-industrial-activities-return-to-normal-after-covid-19/65038

• Thanks 1