Thailand’s new air quality standard to take effect on June 1st

snoop1130

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

cartographer

10 hours ago, connda said:

Of course.  After the rains have set in and the air is clear.

:smile: "See!  We our legislation cleaned the air quick quick!!!"

Lets have this discussion in March 2024.  ????

HAHAH exactly my thogths too. You just can't make this <deleted> up ????

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of course, they won't.

1 - No-one has yet been bothered to crack down on illegal burning. Finding the source of the burning means going outside the air-con office and it's hot out there.

2 - Nature doesn't give a rat's fart about artificial borders that humans put up, so the air will also arrive without a visa from other countries.

Don't blame other, poorer countries...the truth is that Thailand is the main source of Thailand's  pollution. Big agra is owned by just a few families who encourage crop burning to maximise production.

Forest fires are man made too. 

The new EEC is an ever increasing source that will put more pressure on Pattaya and the Eastern seaboard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol, June 1!  Just when the raining season begins, and everyone applauding thinking these standards will have an effect. 1 year later and we’re back to normal hazard pollution. 

Fact is: they facilitate nationwide burning and encouraging it, because big money is being made in this business. 

The amount and level of bullsh!t coming out from these peeps amazes me.  

• Thumbs Up 1

This is purely window dressing.

Much of the HAZE is caused by the burning of biomass from agriculture - this is run by a few "influential" families who don't want anything to interfer with production levels as they see it.

They also have the ear of those in power.

But the new measures don't even add up as beneficial to air quality - they still leave the population open to dangerous levels of pollution.

Thailand’s Pollution Control Department had set the ‘safe’ exposure limit  at 50 μg/m3 and now it is  37.5 μg/m3 on June 1, 2023. - The World Health Organisation Air Quality guidelines indicate that the average annual exposure to PM2.5 should not exceed 5mg per cubic metre - this is 7 times the WHO ideal level.

The situation in Thailand is worrying - Most cities and regions are way off reaching this standard. Bangkok averaged 23.3 micrograms per cubic metre in 2022. This is almost 5 times the WHO recommended level.

I  experienced a throat and chest infection after visiting Northern Thailand this March - I can't say 100% it was due to the haze bur although I was laid up for a few days, I didn't go to hospital like hundreds of thousands of others did.. However  it is estimated that 1.3 million people were affected and that life span can be shortened by 2 to 5 years.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And how will these standards be enforced/implemented?

Instead of ignoring the problem when the pollution reaches six times the safe level, they will ignore it at seven times the safe level.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, Venom said:

Old system

0-50 green

50-100 yellow

100-150 orange

150-200 red

200-250 purple 

So basically they added

blue 0-25

Changed

orange (100-200)

Red 200+

So basically red was replaced with orange and purple was replaced with red! ???? 

TIT 

so this will be a less embarrassing color chart? problem solved then

• Thanks 1

The clowns threw in the next big joke - this time they outdid themselves. 

Nong Khai saw burgundy brown/red reading above 200 so in all fairness, what kind of excellent weed are these boys in Bangkok smoking to present the general public with such a load of absolute nonsense. 

As long as laws are only written to be printed and published ......... nothing will happen. 

Use those hundreds of helicopters and fly over those burning fields and use the GPS navigation details on board. The website https://landsmaps.dol.go.th lists EVERY land title deed in Thailand and, while the afore-mentioned side is open to the public, I am sure that law enforcers can access more details like the owners of the piece of land on fire. 

Fine these people seriously hurting fines; if not paid up within 14 - 30 days, then auction off the land. The revenue is earmarked for public awareness of airborne pollution, the costs of operating the helicopters and crew and I give it to you in writing, that the Thai burning will come to a screeching halt immediately. 

The big beneficiaries of the burnt fields will not like this but it is time to call a spade a spade. People here in Nong Khai have seen, twice daily, dust layers literally everywhere, elder folks have been coughing the best part of the last three months and new born babies will reach kindergarten in a rather "cold smoked" condition. 

It's useless, what I write, I know, as Khon Thai - as semi-divine as they believe they are, still have not understood the tremendous damage to environment, people and economy. But, as long as some Thais are better than the rest of the flock ............. 

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Fine these people seriously hurting fines; if not paid up within 14 - 30 days, then auction off the land. T

As they are friends of the government, I can't see that happening.

It's carrot or stick...

THe government does have a subsidy scheme and if that was expended. it might help the situation.

Basically you cannot live in Thailand 3-6 months a year if you value your health at all. 

Funny, I don't seem to see the YouTube shills from Thailand mentioning this, or the government when pushing their agenda, retirement or travel destination. 

• Thumbs Up 1