Facial recognition required for some online services from Thai banks

snoop1130

11 hours ago, new2here said:

KBank - Said that foreigners aren’t required to. Like SCB, staff in-branch suspected this might change later on, but for now, not possible.

I asked at KBank today and they told me their system will be up and running from the 12th. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NE1 said:

Which I did , ( Bkk Bank ) and was told , " no have to now , will do it if after if problem ".

The problem will start went you need money urgently and the bank say come back in 1 week for the bank to update their records.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I asked at KBank today and they told me their system will be up and running from the 12th. 

that makes sense and kind of matches tk the overall feeling that i’m getting from the banks i deal with…. thanks 

17 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

The first thing you do when you received a new passport is to go to the bank and update their records.

Never had any need until now.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:06 PM, John Drake said:

What happens if you get your face smashed up in an accident, and you're in the hospital needing to transfer money to pay a bill?

Transfer B49,999 as many times as is needed.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

20 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Received the text from Bangkok Bank a few days ago. I went to the nearest branch today and was told I would have to come back again in 5-7 business days because my (new) passport number didn't match their records. Wonder what sort of hoops I'll be asked to jump through next?

None, probably.  That hoop wouldn't be there if you'd advised the bank of your new passport number.

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
19 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Is this going to be a case of "farrang don't need to do" and then when you do want to withdraw more than 50,000, or transfer more than 200,000 you can't because you aren't registered via Thai id number?

Expand  

Exactly right

Exactly wrong, there's no suggestion of that being the case.

From what I remember, NDID cannot be used by non-Thais. So how does a foreigner make a transaction then, if all larger transactions were to require NDID?

Enrollment Conditions

• For Thai nationals only
  • Required to have completed the Know Your Customer (KYC) process to apply for products at Bangkok Bank branch before e.g. savings account
  • Enrollment is available via Bangkok Bank Mobile Banking application only.
  • Enrollment is available on the application every day from 07:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/NDID

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Limit is per day. Which is very practical if you have to transfer say 10 million baht to buy a house... Seller, are you OK if I pay you in daily 49,999 baht installments over the next 7 months?

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, RobU said:

This policy is designed to  make life difficult for elderly and disabled people

That's unfortunate but it's also nonsense.  The changes are designed to make online banking safer. 

What have you done up to now when you've needed a new passbook, a new card or needed to update your passport number?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

12 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

From what I remember, NDID cannot be used by non-Thais. So how does a foreigner make a transaction then, if all larger transactions were to require NDID?

Enrollment Conditions

• For Thai nationals only
  •  

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/NDID

NDID is not a requirement for the subject of this thread, photo ID for foreigners is, that's all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Limit is per day. Which is very practical if you have to transfer say 10 million baht to buy a house... Seller, are you OK if I pay you in daily 49,999 baht installments over the next 7 months?

I was responding to a hypothetical comment about facial features being unrecognisable due to an accident and how to transfer to pay the hospital bill.

Paying for a house could be done easily with a cashiers cheque issued by your bank.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Ah clear as muck, Krungsri said farang no need

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

As another example, Krungsri said to me foreigners don't need to

I have a Krungsri acct....I live in Bangkok.  After getting the Krungsri SMS and also getting a notification when logging into my Krungsri acct, today/4 May 2023 I went to a small Krungsri branch in a Lotus Mail close to my home (not my my home branch which is in another part of Bangkok) and did the facial recognition thingie.  The Krungsri rep first confirmed my phone number and passport number matched what is in their system.....the rep made a copy of my passport main/photo page and page showing my current visa/extension....had me sign those copies....took my picture.....typed some stuff into her IT system screen...and it's done.   Fast and easy.....took about 5 minutes.

Before accomplishing the facial recognition registration above starting about a week ago every time I logged onto my Krungsri acct via the mobile app I would get a notice about the upcoming facial recognition requirement.  But right after the Krungsri rep finished my facial recognition registration the notice stopped whenever I logon which indicated to me my account had to been updated to show I had accomplished the facial recognition thingie.  Yea, it turned out to be fast and easy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's unfortunate but it's also nonsense.  The changes are designed to make online banking safer. 

What have you done up to now when you've needed a new passbook, a new card or needed to update your passport number?

What do you think I was trying to do?

7 hours ago, Pib said:

I have a Krungsri acct....I live in Bangkok.  After getting the Krungsri SMS and also getting a notification when logging into my Krungsri acct, today/4 May 2023 I went to a small Krungsri branch in a Lotus Mail close to my home (not my my home branch which is in another part of Bangkok) and did the facial recognition thingie.  The Krungsri rep first confirmed my phone number and passport number matched what is in their system.....the rep made a copy of my passport main/photo page and page showing my current visa/extension....had me sign those copies....took my picture.....typed some stuff into her IT system screen...and it's done.   Fast and easy.....took about 5 minutes.

Before accomplishing the facial recognition registration above starting about a week ago every time I logged onto my Krungsri acct via the mobile app I would get a notice about the upcoming facial recognition requirement.  But right after the Krungsri rep finished my facial recognition registration the notice stopped whenever I logon which indicated to me my account had to been updated to show I had accomplished the facial recognition thingie.  Yea, it turned out to be fast and easy.

It doesn't surprise me at all that branches are different 

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Exactly wrong, there's no suggestion of that being the case.

Do you have some evidence of this? By the sounds of it all the banks are saying different things and no one seems to have a clear idea of what is going to happen. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one is saying the changes are bad, we are saying it isn't clear and doesn't seem to be well planned. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Ah clear as muck, Krungsri said farang no need

The message I have on my banking app on the phone from Krungsri specifically say "for foreigners". This is from 2 minutes ago. I can't swear it's correct but it's been the same for over a week

If you haven't had your photo taken with us, please visit any Krungsri Bank branch with your ID card/passport (for foreigners) to register your face for identity verification in KMA starting from 27 June 2023 when transferring money 50,000 Baht or more per transaction and cumulative transfers of 200,000 Baht/day.

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

The message I have on my banking app on the phone from Krungsri specifically say "for foreigners". This is from 2 minutes ago. I can't swear it's correct but it's been the same for over a week

If you haven't had your photo taken with us, please visit any Krungsri Bank branch with your ID card/passport (for foreigners) to register your face for identity verification in KMA starting from 27 June 2023 when transferring money 50,000 Baht or more per transaction and cumulative transfers of 200,000 Baht/day.

Yes same as me, go to your branch and see what they say

On 5/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, fusion58 said:

Received the text from Bangkok Bank a few days ago. I went to the nearest branch today and was told I would have to come back again in 5-7 business days because my (new) passport number didn't match their records. Wonder what sort of hoops I'll be asked to jump through next?

sounds like the beginning of a circus of hoop jumping paper work events you'll be forced to perform as well as having to supply stamped papers from immigration proving who you are

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dan O said:

And would it perhaps be in Thai only?

Edited by jacko45k