Facial recognition required for some online services from Thai banks

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, MartinL said:

No, I mean that the app. isn't available to Thai (among many other) mobile phone numbers. 

Just to make certain, I just tried to download the app. again. Popup says "Not available in your country or region".

Okay, i see now that you cannot download the app.

Try changing your region in App Store or Play Store to download.

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

That’s strange because I am with NatWest , use their app with a registered Thailand number .

IMG_0353.thumb.jpeg.e3c8ec2fc29648f7fce4f6bf015a73c6.jpeg

Interesting, Andrew. Thanks for that. It doesn't change the fact that I tried to download the app. 10 minutes or less ago and got the message "App. not available in your country or region". Maybe a call to NW customer services is in order. My registered address is in UK but phone number is Thai (+66...)

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, i see now that you cannot download the app.

Try changing your region in App Store or Play Store to download.

But surely that wouldn't change the phone number from +66 to a UK or number from an acceptable country.

Just now, MartinL said:

But surely that wouldn't change the phone number from +66 to a UK or number from an acceptable country.

Don’t think so.

I don’t remember when or where I downloaded the app , have been with NatWest since the 80’s.

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Don’t think so.

I don’t remember when or where I downloaded the app , have been with NatWest since the 80’s.

Had an account with them with THIS account since at least '88. Other - now closed - accounts since the mid-70s.

4 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Interesting, Andrew. Thanks for that. It doesn't change the fact that I tried to download the app. 10 minutes or less ago and got the message "App. not available in your country or region". Maybe a call to NW customer services is in order. My registered address is in UK but phone number is Thai (+66...)

Apologies, I didn’t realise you couldn’t download the app, thought you were just having problems using it with a Thai number.

Still think changing your region to U.K. in App or Play Store is the way to go, you can change it back afterwards .

18 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Just checked, downloaded another NatWest app .

IMG_0354.thumb.png.d6dccfb19e77600efee9dee7e40f8fa2.png

Using my Thai phone number and App Store set to U.K. region .

Works for iPhone, not sure about Android.

45 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Just checked, downloaded another NatWest app .

IMG_0354.thumb.png.d6dccfb19e77600efee9dee7e40f8fa2.png

Using my Thai phone number and App Store set to U.K. region .

Works for iPhone, not sure about Android.

Thanks yet again. Yes can get the Mobile Banking app. by changing region to UK and still use Thai phone number but ........... now all that's needed is a new phone on iOS >= 13. Still on steam at the moment but more and more apps. becoming unusable on iOS Steam so perhaps it's time to think about a change. Not urgent, though. Just food for future thought. Thanks for your trouble Andrew.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I like using a desktop PC as well, but getting it down to the ATM for a cardless withdrawal is a hassle. 

Yeah, and now it's the cardless withdrawals they want to charge you for in order to induce you to use your phone to pay

I've just got back from my local Bangkok Bank branch up in the boonies.
Up to the desk and asked for facial recognition for my account. I was not informed about this, I was in the area on other business requiring my passport so decided to drop in. 

• Passport and bank book required.
  • Copies of both were done and a form to be filled out with current phone number, all to be signed.
  • Check that you have access to mobile banking.
  • Photo taken by desk webcam.

I asked about internet banking and she told me that it is not affected, it's only for mobile banking. 

On a side note:

At my branch you can open an account with a pink I.D. Card or passport with no problems. If using the I.D. Card the account details (name) is written in  Thai whereas using a passport it's in English. 
I.M.O. It's easier to use a passport as there can be no confusion that it's for a foreigner. I've seen problems at immigration because an account name was in Thai for a foreigner! 

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I don't have an ATM card from a Thai account. So far, unlike the ATM card, the cardless withdrawal is free. 

Yes, fair point, my ATM card costs me 200 each year I believe. I tried the cardless withdrawal, bit of a faff.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, fair point, my ATM card costs me 200 each year I believe. I tried the cardless withdrawal, bit of a faff.

For me, it seems safer and easier than using the card. K-Bank's app is (I think) better for it than Krungsri. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Initially a faff, then it gets easier to the point you can get the app ready before getting to the ATM

• Thumbs Up 2

Went to the Bangkok Bank branch where I opened my account. And this morning they spent 20-30 minutes giving me forms to fill out. And then the branch manager got onto his computer terminal and punched around for 10 minutes. At the end of all that I was told, "cannot do for foreigner." She did add a "today" at the end of that. But couldn't say if/when I could get the facial recognition registered.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Initially a faff, then it gets easier to the point you can get the app ready before getting to the ATM

Quite often I come across machines that do not have the required cash available,  also I always ask for xx900 baht to have a few smaller notes.. does it  have to be one of your own bank's machines? They took mine (BB) out of Big-CX when they closed the Mall branch and now there is just a single old style one on the way to the toilets that seems to be often lacking notes. 

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I don't have an ATM card from a Thai account. So far, unlike the ATM card, the cardless withdrawal is free. 

Are you able to use card less withdrawals at other banks ATMs?

My nearest Bangkok Bank ATM is 10-15mins away but have Krungsri & TTB ATMs a couple of minutes away so would be nice to be able to use those cardlessly 

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Are you able to use card less withdrawals at other banks ATMs?

My nearest Bangkok Bank ATM is 10-15mins away but have Krungsri & TTB ATMs a couple of minutes away so would be nice to be able to use those cardlessly 

No. That is the bummer about cardless withdrawal, they only work at your bank's ATMs. I assume this will change at some point. 

I do not use a lot of cash, and only withdraw cash every month or two. For someone getting money everyday all over town it might not be the best choice. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Quite often I come across machines that do not have the required cash available,  also I always ask for xx900 baht to have a few smaller notes.. does it  have to be one of your own bank's machines? They took mine (BB) out of Big-CX when they closed the Mall branch and now there is just a single old style one on the way to the toilets that seems to be often lacking notes. 

Needs to be your bank ATM, i have 3 banks so not a big issue for me

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Needs to be your bank ATM, i have 3 banks so not a big issue for me

Well I did the facial recognition thing at Bangkok Bank yesterday, no issues. Although I made a falang out of myself, when  I noticed zero  customers were being attended to, and yet 3 were sitting with queue tickets in their hands  waiting... one teller at her desk seemed to be using her phone. They really appear to have little respect for customers or their time. in that branch. 

I also went to Krung Thai and was told they were not ready there, and were trying to resolve issues for foreigner accounts? 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Well I did the facial recognition thing at Bangkok Bank yesterday, no issues. Although I made a falang out of myself, when  I noticed zero  customers were being attended to, and yet 3 were sitting with queue tickets in their hands  waiting... one teller at her desk seemed to be using her phone. They really appear to have little respect for customers or their time. in that branch. 

I also went to Krung Thai and was told they were not ready there, and were trying to resolve issues for foreigner accounts? 

I'll wait until a week or two after the start date and they'll all be up to speed. 

• 1 month later...

I'm going to ask what might be a stupid question, but only because TiT!

Can anyone confirm that this facial recognition is only required to WITHDRAW more that 50,000 Baht from one's personal account as opposed to DEPOSITING more that 50,000 Baht?  Specifically for SCB in my case.

i realise the OP states "All Thai banks will soon require facial recognition via the National Digital ID platform for customers wishing to make large withdrawals, according to a Coconuts report." but a Coconuts report isn't necessarily definitive - people's own experiences are.

Edited by VBF

13 hours ago, VBF said:

I'm going to ask what might be a stupid question, but only because TiT!

Can anyone confirm that this facial recognition is only required to WITHDRAW more that 50,000 Baht from one's personal account as opposed to DEPOSITING more that 50,000 Baht?  Specifically for SCB in my case.

i realise the OP states "All Thai banks will soon require facial recognition via the National Digital ID platform for customers wishing to make large withdrawals, according to a Coconuts report." but a Coconuts report isn't necessarily definitive - people's own experiences are.

It's specifically for mobile phone transfers of more than 50k per transaction as of now.... No limits on deposits.

• Thanks 1