Thailand’s tourism sector grapples with cannabis legalisation

snoop1130

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A year after Thailand legalised cannabis by removing the plant from the list of prohibited narcotics, the tourism sector has experienced both positive and negative repercussions. While it was anticipated that medical cannabis tourism would thrive, increasing concerns about the relaxed regulations have led the Tourism Authority of Thailand to reconsider its promotional strategy.

Like weed rolling competitions on the beach?

That was a beauty.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One of the problems I see is tourist smoking it in the hotel rooms or apartments and villas they have rented, I am told it's difficult to get rid of the smell, 

They will have to create smoking areas it's already difficult to stop people smoking, 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

These anti-cannabis articles, targeted at foreigners, must get a lot of clicks. Why that is is curious. Maybe it's all about addressing perceived grievances by a few.

It is interesting that the sex trade, which is also unregulated, and illegal, isn't something that Thai tourism's sector "grapples" with.

No stories about the "wild west" of prostitution.

How odd.

I guess prostitution is different, as you can't "unknowingly" (wording in the article) use such services...

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

One of the problems I see is tourist smoking it in the hotel rooms or apartments and villas they have rented, I am told it's difficult to get rid of the smell, 

They will have to create smoking areas it's already difficult to stop people smoking, 

This is easily addressed. Implement no smoking rules for the hotel. Warn guests upon check in about this policy and that they get one warning. After that, the police will be summoned and they will likely be arrested. Cannabis smoking which creates an annoyance is illegal.

All that said, I haven't heard a lot of complaints about this "phenomenon" nor is it ever mentioend in the hundreds of anti-cannabis v. tourism articles.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chinese colleagues asked me on the risk that children get stolen, organs harvested, kidnapping and getting drugged

Fake news spreads fast on Wechat, if "approved'

Seems there is an active policy to develop local tourism in China and keep the money at home

• Thumbs Up 2

The easiest way to not stink up a hotel room is to exhale all the air out of your lungs and then suck in the smoke from a one hit bong like it is your last breath. Hold it in for long enough to not exhale any smoke and then spill the bong water, that will totally mask the oder of cannabis.

As Thailand’s tourism industry grapples with the challenges of cannabis legalisation, industry stakeholders are urging the government to establish clearer regulations

Applies to just about everything the government announces, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, WilliamSmits said:

Chinese colleagues asked me on the risk that children get stolen, organs harvested, kidnapping and getting drugged

Fake news spreads fast on Wechat, if "approved'

Seems there is an active policy to develop local tourism in China and keep the money at home

It isn't fake news. There have been several cases in the news, including reports on this site, all involving Chinese. Before saying that Thailand is the source of the problem they need look at themselves.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

This is easily addressed. Implement no smoking rules for the hotel. Warn guests upon check in about this policy and that they get one warning. After that, the police will be summoned and they will likely be arrested. Cannabis smoking which creates an annoyance is illegal.

All that said, I haven't heard a lot of complaints about this "phenomenon" nor is it ever mentioend in the hundreds of anti-cannabis v. tourism articles.

It's not unusual for hotels to warn of a fine, usually of around $500, if a guest has smoked in the room, to cover the cost of the extensive cleaning that is required. And they have your credit card number to charge it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Luckily, most hotels address this simply by making an ashtray available on the balcony.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm amazed at the number of cannabis shops in Pattaya/Jomtien - they outnumber 7/11s.  They can't all make a profit. Most seen quiet when I walk past.

Couple of weeks ago my wife and I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok. There was a pungent smell of cannabis in the corridor. We complained and were told someone had been smoking it in one of the rooms and they were struggling to get rid of the smell. It certainly seems a lot more persistent than tobacco.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Thats ok as long as you are not staying the room above 

"They couln't ban the thing, so in a last-dich attempt, they tried to ban the smell".

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

I'm amazed at the number of cannabis shops in Pattaya/Jomtien - they outnumber 7/11s.  They can't all make a profit. Most seen quiet when I walk past.

Couple of weeks ago my wife and I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok. There was a pungent smell of cannabis in the corridor. We complained and were told someone had been smoking it in one of the rooms and they were struggling to get rid of the smell. It certainly seems a lot more persistent than tobacco.

Thats a problem we spent years educating smokers to show some respect and dont smoke in the rooms or villas, smoke outside is ok, Seems like these dope smokers we have to start all over again, They seem to think they can lite a joint up anywhere just because it's legal, We have laws here in Thailand about smoke free buildings cant smoke within 5 meters or something like that, does dope come under the same laws? I ask myself,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's not unusual for hotels to warn of a fine, usually of around $500, if a guest has smoked in the room, to cover the cost of the extensive cleaning that is required. And they have your credit card number to charge it

With the greatest respect, not with me. I always pay my hotel bill in cash when I check-in. I do not have a credit card.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

In BKK at the moment.....Suk' soi 4 to soi 11 stinks of the stuff , in the bars, on the street and the outdoor restaurants......all thanks to that idiot Anutin.

Quality tourists rolling in then rolling up.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steveyinasia said:

"revealed that the Chinese media has portrayed Thailand negatively as a tourist destination since the legalisation of cannabis use." Once again cowering to the Chinese so they can preserve the almighty surge of zero dollar tourists.

yes one friend from China contacted me...they believed after watching it in the TV that Thailand is some narcotic hell with the people dying on the street from a ganja overdose.
I had to explain it to her...if she understood is another question

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I guess prostitution is different, as you can't "unknowingly" (wording in the article) use such services...

Of course you can.You think you're dating a non-professional, when the bill is presented to you. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

AFAIK cannabis for medical use is perfectly legal.

Having said that, again AFAIK, cannabis for recreational consumption is illegal.

The person who should know all the answers, of course is the MoPH, Anutin, the wanna be PM. who was the person behind deregulating cannabis in the first place.

And good luck to anybody who dares to ask him that question, and expects  a straight and honest answer.

Smoking it at home will most probably be ignored unless you are illegally growing and sell it as well.

Flaunting it, and smoking it in public, is, IMHO would be a foolish thing to do, even in a hotel room and possibly in a rented apartment.

Edited by billd766
added extra text