Unhinged Bangkok taxi driver threatens to murder passenger

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo by lan Fuller via Flick and @toeyly.n via TikTok

by Petch Petpailin

A Thai woman took to social media to reveal that a seemingly unhinged taxi driver in Bangkok threatened to murder her because her destination was too far.

The woman posted a video on her TikTok account, @toeyly.n, to recount her frightening experience with a taxi driver who threatened to kill her. The video caption said…

“Warning! Taxi driver threatens to kill me! I never thought I would come across something like this. I want to warn other women about this incident and wanted to share how I dealt with this situation.”

In the video, Toeyly explained that she visited her friend at a condominium near the CentralWorld shopping mall and wanted to take a taxi to IT Square in the Lak Si district of Bangkok which was nearly 20 kilometres away. Toeyly asked a condominium security guard to call a taxi for her.

“I do not want to travel outside the centre of Bangkok. I do not want to turn the metre on too. Normally, I pick up only a foreigner. They are ok with that.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/unhinged-bangkok-taxi-driver-threatens-to-murder-passenger

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 4

Taxi driver was having a (not quite heated) discussion with my Thai GF last year about which route to take to our hotel and whether to use the meter or not. He became quite compliant when he noticed me taking a photo of the cab number on the door

• Thumbs Up 1

“I just got out of jail. I want to pick up some passengers and slit their throats or maybe take them to a building in a remote area, tie them up, and leave them there.”

Something fishy about that statement. Anyone with a criminal record can not get a license to operate passenger vehicles. Or so I have been informed .

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai woman took to social media to reveal that a seemingly unhinged taxi driver in Bangkok threatened to murder her because her destination was too far.

Taxi drivers, Thailands finest 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

If the wife catches a taxi by herself I always make it obvious I am taking a photo of the drivers number and license.....it doesn't stop her being murdered, but at least I'll have a clue as to who the murderer might be.

I do that late at night with some friends.

2 hours ago, aussienam said:

Wow.  If this woman's account of events is in fact true, then we have a likely psychopath roaming the streets.  Psychopaths can start off just like this, psychologically traumatizing their prey for kicks. 

Later building up to their ultimate fantasy of torturing and murdering their victims. He had power over that lady whilst trapped in his car.  

Police and Thai taxi authority should be taking complaint very seriously, to potentially prevent something horrific from happening to an innocent person/s.  Maybe he's already done it.  If she asked to be let off and driver refused, then that's also technically kidnapping. 

Perhaps you're joking and I'm failing to detect the sarcasm, but the events in the article don't seem particularly unusual for Thailand.  Nor is it something that anyone is likely to look into, unless the social media thing blows up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

If the wife catches a taxi by herself I always make it obvious I am taking a photo of the drivers number and license.....it doesn't stop her being murdered, but at least I'll have a clue as to who the murderer might be.

…and don’t forget the handy compensation also.. ???? 

*Quoted post removed*

it is not a question of grab or other alternatives. Taxi is a public service and drivers should be professional in providing this service. Or else they should be taken off the roads.

Edited by Pink Mist
Replied to post removed
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I’m with you, especially if a loved one is in the taxi I always take a pic of the license plate and have the person in the taxi snap a photo of the drivers ID display in the car and send it immediately followed by a call when they are safely at their destination. We do use Grab most of the time but often it’s not possible so we’re stuck with a taxi meter and follow the above procedure.

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I've encountered quite a few nut jobs over the years. 

They also seem to be getting extremely fussy about the fares they accept. It's one thing being refused a fare from downtown to Ladprao at rush hour, but a couple of weeks ago I got refused a taxi from Emporium to The Clubhouse on soi 23 at 10am.  

Emporium to The Clubhouse is about a 1km walk?

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem always comes down to a lack of enforcement.  There are laws, regulations and lots of politicians who will make lots of promises but nothing will happen unless there is enforcement. 

The great thing about Thailand is that you can generally do what you want.  The bad thing is that others can do the same. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Is that so you know who to thank?...............

My GF , now wife, had a horrific experience going to Swsmpy from Sukhumvit. 

Taxi called by our hotel from a company they use.  He immediately demanded, very forcefully,  B600 for the ride. I said no way - meter only. He got quite angry so I said drop us back to our hotel 2 minutes away.

Anyway he called down and stupid me we continued - driving at 140 on the highway. 

At Swampy he demanded an airport fee which was nonsense for drop offs. He then really flipped, jumped over the barrier and  came at me with a baton. I stood my ground protecting my GF, he was clearly high as the jets, but I knew not to clock him one with the other taxi drivers around. A security guard came over, smiled and did nought/nada/nothing. 

Well I had already rescued my bags, called the hotel and he was fired before he got to the highway.

Crazy guy and it could have been so much worse for me. 

Edited by harleyclarkey
Grammer