DOJ is 'investigating Trump's link with Saudi-backed LIV Golf tour

Social Media

image.png

• Donald Trump hosted the controversial Saudi Arabian LIV golf tour at his Bedminster course in July 2022, and his Doral course in October 2022
  • On Thursday the New York Times reported that the Justice Department had issued a subpoena for documents relating to Trump's agreement with the tour
  • It is unclear what the subpoenas, sent to the Trump Organization, relate to but the New York Times said it suggested a probe into the family firm 

Daily Mail Full story :

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Now thats funny to say that Saudi is looking at golf to replace oil revenue which makes up around 40% of the Saudi's GDP. 

Only 40%?  Is that accurate?  If I had to guess I would think double that, at least.  What else do they export besides dates?

I met a young Indonesian fellow, in Indonesia, I guess I can call him a renegade Muslim.  He was quite cynical of the Hajj, sees it as a way for Saudi to bring in $$$.  Never thought of it that way before, I wonder what revenue religious tourism generates.

But back to golf: the payoff would be ad revenue, which is what makes soccer (futbal) a cash cow.  Maybe the players would be expected to be covered with corporate logos.  I can't see lads all over the world getting all excited over watching golf tournaments, though. 

19 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Only 40%?  Is that accurate?  If I had to guess I would think double that, at least.  What else do they export besides dates?

I met a young Indonesian fellow, in Indonesia, I guess I can call him a renegade Muslim.  He was quite cynical of the Hajj, sees it as a way for Saudi to bring in $$$.  Never thought of it that way before, I wonder what revenue religious tourism generates.

But back to golf: the payoff would be ad revenue, which is what makes soccer (futbal) a cash cow.  Maybe the players would be expected to be covered with corporate logos.  I can't see lads all over the world getting all excited over watching golf tournaments, though. 

Got the information from this link. SA earned 80% of its export income with oil and makes up 40% of GDP. Hajj Tourism bring in about $8-9 billion. 

https://www.dw.com/en/skiing-in-saudi-arabia-fantasy-or-genuine-economic-change/a-62090850

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Probably, possibly but his track record as a complete shister is undeniable, lock him up.

As for crazy golf, just go to your local children's park and you'll see more 'entertainment' than the 54 hole jokers can provide.

You obviously don't watch LIV golf, probably a pensioner who doesn't like change

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

Saudi Arabia's state-controlled oil giant Aramco on Sunday reported a record net income of $161.1 billion for 2022

The PGA Tour is a $1.5-billion business that earns the majority of its revenue from five categories—tournament revenue ($660 million), domestic and international media rights ($634 million), Tournament Players Clubs ($142 million), corporate licensing ($65 million) and investments ($21 million).

Think Saudi's/LIV are going to need to organise a few more tournaments if they want to diversify away from oil.

i doubt anyone thought golf was going to replace oil

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

I've watched LIV golf.  It's just golf.  Except with the same players every tournament, playing in shorts to blaring music.  There's no history.  No legacy.  No professional significance. And of course no OWGR points.  Just a bunch of rich guys playing for a ton of oil money.  If that's your thing, more power to you.

are you elderly? it is more popular with younger golfers

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

are you elderly? it is more popular with younger golfers

I'm "older," but not that old.  Single digit handicapper.  Not sure how you would know it's popular with younger golfers.  But even if so, would like to know why.  I doubt the interest is genuine long-term, more like a curiosity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I'm "older," but not that old.  Single digit handicapper.  Not sure how you would know it's popular with younger golfers.  But even if so, would like to know why.  I doubt the interest is genuine long-term, more like a curiosity. 

i really enjoy watching LIV and friends that watch it also enjoy it, we find PGA boring now, except majors. PGA seems flat