Prepaid Visa debit card

ianh68

I had one of these called the M card from SCB but they are being discontinued. I got it from Paragon. Does anyone know where I can go to get a replacement? They are handy because you only top them up to a limit you are comfortable with and they don't expose your main account.

22 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Open a new savings account with say SCB, put in a balance your happy with and get a standard debit card on the account, effectively the same

That's a good point. Thanks.

• Like 1

Are you an existing SCB banking customer?

If so, SCB Planet Card.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/prepaid-cards/planet-scb-card.html

Easy to get, apply in the SCB mobile app, received in the mail. Manage from the SCB app. I keep 2,500 down to 1,000 on mine.

It supports tap & go.

TrueMoney Wallet with their virtual Mastercard can be back-stopped (pre-loaded via a transfer from a bank account) as well, but this one is harder (administratively) to get.

You may be able to get a secured credit card from your bank, requires a separate account with a minimum of 20,000 baht which cannot be used, you pay your bill from another savings acount. So 20,000 potential exposure.

Not all of these options offer 100% coverage for any potential charge, especially for things like Grab and LINE.

Edited by bamnutsak

In my understanding, with a DEBIT card you are spending your own money.

With a CREDIT card you are spending THEIR money and then paying it back with interest (usually).

What a CREDIT card with a bank account to cover it should be called is anyone's guess.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

In my understanding, with a DEBIT card you are spending your own money.

Unless you have someone else making deposits for you.

With a CREDIT card you are spending THEIR money and then paying it back with interest (usually).

Only chumps pay interest. 

What a CREDIT card with a bank account to cover it should be called is anyone's guess.

It's called a secured credit card, or more correctly, a stored value card. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

In my understanding

I think it's more about "As a foreigner, how do I purchase a good or service, from a supplier." Direct bank transfer for POS/non-traditional on-line is pretty easy. Where it gets complicated is with services which require a credit card, like LINE, Grab, etc.

Secured, virtual, loadable cards can be used in many (but not all) "credit card" applications.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1

That M Card discontinuation notice is here...

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/prepaid-cards/scb-m-visa-prepaid-card.html

Siam Commercial Bank will no longer provide SCB M VISA Prepaid Card, SCB M VISA Prepaid tourist Card, M Gift Card, and EM Voucher services (collectively referred to as the "Cards"). Customers may apply for/purchase and use the Cards until the following dates:

On 5/8/2023 at 9:47 AM, foreverlomsak said:

Open a new savings account with say SCB, put in a balance your happy with and get a standard debit card on the account, effectively the same

Yes plus I took the next step and also got an online only a/c, no card, no book.  Keep your main funds in the online a/c and transfer living expenses to the debit card as needed.  Lose your card or get hacked you lose only a little.  Works for me.

• Thanks 1

The reason I got my initial SCB prepaid card was when I had to renew my UK passport and was required to write on a piece of paper my credit card details and CVC for all to see. I was not comfortable with this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2023 at 10:56 AM, ThaiFelix said:

Yes plus I took the next step and also got an online only a/c, no card, no book.  Keep your main funds in the online a/c and transfer living expenses to the debit card as needed.  Lose your card or get hacked you lose only a little.  Works for me.

I tried this with Bangkok Bank but the card they gave me was only UnionPay, not Mastercard or Visa. Maybe I am going to have to start again with SCB?

Although I have a pink id card some services such as the prepaid AIS mPay are restricted to Thai citizens. At least I am learning.