Minister admits local election results 'not good' for Tories as Labour vows 'best is yet to come'

onthedarkside

image.png.c8779b024058622cb55c6dfc7cba9edd.png

Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer has admitted the local election results were "not good" for the Conservatives, but insists Rishi Sunak is "starting to deliver in a quiet way for the British people".

Her party lost more than a thousand seats after voters went to the polls across England, seeing Labour take over as the largest party in local government for the first time in more than 20 years.

The minister told Sky News' Sophy Ridge on Sunday programme that people were "angry and frustrated" with the government, and were finding the rising cost of living "difficult".

READ MORE

https://news.sky.com/story/minister-admits-local-election-results-not-good-for-tories-as-labour-vows-best-is-yet-to-come-12875237

image.png.a774bc0a1e1e919504d144f32118aefb.png

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Tories tried to manage expectations with a pre-election statement that it would be a bad result if they lost a thousand seats.

Then they lost over a thousand.

Sunak and the Tories are walking towards the departure lounge.

But, a General Election is a waaaay different matter. I recall Boris and his resounding win...

When it comes to the crunch, folk will have to sit back and think who might be running the country.

Just imagine a Labour/ Lib Dem duo..........????

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But look at the absolute disaster that has befallen the UK since Cameron took office. 13 years of Tory corruption, theft and incompetence has wreaked havoc across the UK. Do you really think people will look at the Tories with anything other than contempt?

You forget, the other lot had Corby & Abbott, and it hasn't improved now  with Starmer & Reiner................:whistling:

Well the losses were predicted also said after Labour didn't get that good of a result as many just voted Lib-dem, Green, Independent and others so I saw it as a protest vote. 

Poor turn out too I thought I heard reported. 

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Tories tried to manage expectations with a pre-election statement that it would be a bad result if they lost a thousand seats.

Then they lost over a thousand.

Sunak and the Tories are walking towards the departure lounge.

Maybe so but who's going to win?

The local council elections results were anti government more than pro Labour.

If Labour don't win a majority at the next general election, they will be unelectable for many years to come.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

If Labour don't win a majority at the next general election, they will be unelectable for many years to come.

Maybe that will be the time Humza goes from useless to useful...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

I’m not sure how you got from your ‘if’ to your assertion.

Regardless, I suspect the calculation being fretted over right now is by a number of Tory MP’s looking at an enforced unemployment in 2024.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JayClay said:

It's an extremely quiet, some may even argue silent, way.

What else can Rishi do other than what he is doing, there's not much of a uk money tree.

I fail to see what Labour could do other than make things worse.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure how you got from your ‘if’ to your assertion.

Regardless, I suspect the calculation being fretted over right now is by a number of Tory MP’s looking at an enforced unemployment in 2024.

Of course you would suspect that. Your political leaning is obvious.

However, I would think Labour's calculations of how many seats they need for a majority will be far more important to them than how many the Tories might lose. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JayClay said:

There's plenty of money in the UK. It's just in all the wrong places. And that's a direct result of "what he is [and isn't] doing".

"I fail to see what Labour could do other than make things worse."

Well luckily for all of us, you'll have the opportunity to find out after the next election how they can improve things.

Maybe and I would hope so for the population of UK. 

My bias i guess living and working most of my life UK the only time i did well for myself was always under a conservative govt. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JayClay said:

There's plenty of money in the UK. It's just in all the wrong places. And that's a direct result of "what he is [and isn't] doing".

"I fail to see what Labour could do other than make things worse."

Well luckily for all of us, you'll have the opportunity to find out after the next election how they can improve things.

The way Starmer and his shadow cabinet talk, they're going to need to find many more billions to achieve their goals. Where's it going to come from?

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The way Starmer and his shadow cabinet talk, they're going to need to find many more billions to achieve their goals. Where's it going to come from?

Before getting to hear about Sir Starmer I thought he was Conservative. ????

36 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The main gripe in the U.K is the cost of living crisis and the huge price increases across the board .

The price rises have been caused by Covid and Ukraine .

A change of Government will not rectify the situation 

Right. No one cares much about the NHS at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/feb/23/britons-ministers-policies-nhs-study-ipsos-poll

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/b/more-than-two–thirds-of-public-think-nhs-is-underfunded-including-over-half-of-tory-voters-poll-finds

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

An obvious one to start with would be to take us back into the EU and help all those thousands of businesses that have been damaged but the stupidity of brexit, but sadly Labour seem deaf to that idea.

Well by all accounts to rejoin the EU is never going to happen and my opinion has always been UK should never of joined in the first place.

Pointless to discuss brexit anymore,  what's needed is peace in the world.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The main gripe in the U.K is the cost of living crisis and the huge price increases across the board .

The price rises have been caused by Covid and Ukraine .

A change of Government will not rectify the situation 

I agree fair call. 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

That isnt true .

British people care a lot about the N.H.S

And yet you claim it's parlous condition isn't going to be a major issue in the upcoming elections. Even Tory voters think the conservatives have done a bad job.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Pretty obvious the NHS needs to be managed better from what I hear from my UK family 2 of who, who works for them. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And yet you claim it's parlous condition isn't going to be a major issue in the upcoming elections.

I didn't claim that, no . 

Although Labour will probably run with the slogan * Three days to save the NHS or Tories will sell it off , so vote Labour or lose the NHS* , as they usually do 

• Like 2