Thailand’s power usage reaches new high on May 6th due to hot weather

534F04C4-FCA4-4FDD-9759-3ECE39DD8148.png

Thailand’s consumption of electricity surged to a new record high of 34,826.50 megawatts at 9.41pm on Saturday May 6th, breaking the previous record of 33,177.30 megawatts, set at 2.30pm on April 28th last year.

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) attributed the surge to the hot weather during the long holidays, from May 4th to 7th, forcing residential consumers to use their air conditioners, electric fans and refrigerators for longer.

The ERC has urged the public to conserve energy while checking their electricity bills issued in May, to find out how much electricity they used in April and whether it was unusually high, adding that there are two possible causes of higher bills, errors in the calculation or a rise in consumption due to the hot weather.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-power-usage-reaches-new-high-on-may-6th-due-to-hot-weather/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The ERC has urged the public to conserve energy while checking their electricity bills issued in May, to find out how much electricity they used in April and whether it was unusually high, adding that there are two possible causes of higher bills, errors in the calculation or a rise in consumption due to the hot weather.

Amazing Thailand.

I missed this annual news.

As stated last year it was April 27th. That's the day when the sun peaks over Bangkok.

At our place that was yesterday.

Heaven thanks we didn't have a single lasting power outage during the last two months.

Edited by KhunBENQ

43 minutes ago, Ombra said:

"forcing residential consumers to use their ... refrigerators for longer." Do some people turn off their refrigerators when it is not so hot?

Poorly worded I know, but refrigerators do have to work harder to maintain the desired temperature when the ambient temperature is high.

I'm sure you know that, you're just being pedantic aren't you.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

from my last electric bill gave me the shock, from 4 ac running in the house cutting back to 2, also went out and bought the largest plastic tub i can find, fill it up with water and dip in it when feeling too hot.

Great news !

Maybe the EGAT will be able to claw back the Money they said they lost throughout the Pandemic sooner, and then reduce all our Bills to a more realistic figure to reflect the drop in Energy Generating Fuels

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Bills to a more realistic figure to reflect the drop in Energy Generating Fuels

Drop? It the ft on bills which is the fuels cost rose in September last year and has remained at that figure since. It is dropping slightly this month for the next 3 to 4 months.

https://www.mea.or.th/en/content/detail/2985/2987/487

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Poorly worded I know, but refrigerators do have to work harder to maintain the desired temperature when the ambient temperature is high.

I'm sure you know that, you're just being pedantic aren't you.

My apologies!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Drop? It the ft on bills which is the fuels cost rose in September last year and has remained at that figure since. It is dropping slightly this month for the next 3 to 4 months.

https://www.mea.or.th/en/content/detail/2985/2987/487

I was meaning for the costs in procurement of the Fuels to actually generate the Electric 

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I was meaning for the costs in procurement of the Fuels to actually generate the Electric 

I understood that and that is what the ft component of the bill is for. I have actually seen it negative.