Stranded in Thailand: Bankrupt foreign woman unable to return home

snoop1130

12 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Exactly, did she sell her return ticket? 

you don’t need a return ticket out if you have any kind of visa. Return tickets are only for visa exempt entries.

Even if she had one many people don’t use the flight, they just don’t show up and they expire, or they are irresponsible people in general and don’t bother to change them, or can’t watch their finances enough to see that they will ever run out of money (go figure), or they have some sort of personal weakness (like booze or women) that sets them on a downward spiral whereby they can’t control their behavior.

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do you know that she is a member of the Democrat party in the USA? Do you know if President Biden sent her to Thailand deliberately.

Your post is so far off topic, other than she is supposedly is from the USA, (only her word for it), even Blind Freddies dog would fall over laughing at it.

It is, of course, not an issue of democrats or republicans; Biden happens to be the sitting president. And no, Biden might have issues in finding Thailand on the world map and does, what he is told ...... so much to the cronies. Glad having been able to help! 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Totally sure thanks.

(Being refused entry and the air carrier has to bear the cost ie no forward travel for a 30 day exempt entry - but that isn't deportation as you have not entered the country.)

OK  now your getting into a different issue that has nothing to do with the topic at all!!

The requirements are clear on visa exempt entry requiring a onward ticket. It's posted on Thai regs and in the IATA notices so the air carrier is not suppose to allow you to even board the plane. If they do all it then they pay to have you returned to your point of origin.  

Stay on topic 

On 5/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, Lacessit said:

I am not a US citizen; however, I was under the impression from previous threads the US loans the cost of the airfare ( coach, obviously ) to get stranded travellers back home.

There are a lot of members of this forum who are not US citizens who are nevertheless experts on all things USA including  the embassy and legal system of the country.

The mission of the United States Embassy is to advance the interests of the United States, and to serve and protect U.S. citizens in Thailand.

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

There are a lot of members of this forum who are not US citizens who are nevertheless experts on all things USA including  the embassy and legal system of the country.

The mission of the United States Embassy is to advance the interests of the United States, and to serve and protect U.S. citizens in Thailand.

One does not have to be a citizen of a country to be interested in what it does, and its policies. I have visited the US quite a few times, hence my interest. Would you prefer I went elsewhere to validate your isolationism?

On 5/13/2023 at 6:53 AM, Dan O said:

OK  now your getting into a different issue that has nothing to do with the topic at all!!

The requirements are clear on visa exempt entry requiring a onward ticket. It's posted on Thai regs and in the IATA notices so the air carrier is not suppose to allow you to even board the plane. If they do all it then they pay to have you returned to your point of origin.  

Stay on topic 

Sorry to contradict you, but I have traveled twice this year to Thailand visa exempt, staying over the one month and have not been asked for a return / leave ticket., (I did have one to Singapore and Bali). On the other hand, each time I travel with Emirates they ask for a billet de sortie . This apparently depends on the airline, some stricter than others. I have never had any sort of’problem with immigration either , my stays usually corresponding tô EU winters. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, geisha said:

Sorry to contradict you, but I have traveled twice this year to Thailand visa exempt, staying over the one month and have not been asked for a return / leave ticket., (I did have one to Singapore and Bali). On the other hand, each time I travel with Emirates they ask for a billet de sortie . This apparently depends on the airline, some stricter than others. I have never had any sort of’problem with immigration either , my stays usually corresponding tô EU winters. 

Again your talking about a completely different issue than the OP.  It is regulations and is on IATA notice at the airline so no contradiction. If they choose to ignore or not enforce it it makes no difference to this topic. 

Immigration almost never asks about an onward ticket unless there is some other issue at arrival. If you are checked for one and don't have it you can be returned to your point of origin at the airlines expense if they allowed you to board and did not verify a ticket . 

Think what you want, do what you want but I'm done on this discussion with you because you're off topic 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 6:11 PM, keith101 said:

Maybe she can get herself deported for being unable to support herself financially and what about her return flight she must have had one to enter 

In Thailand, you need to pay for your own deportation. If you don't have money, they will keep you in Immigration Detention Center until someone buys you a ticket.

No sympathy.

She knew how much she was spending and how much she landed with. She simply kept spending without looking how much was left and now expects others to bail her out.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, Confuscious said:

1. The story says clearly that "she was hanging around the Cannabis shop to beg for food".
Not to buy Cannabis.

The story says: "He said the woman bought cannabis from his shop and urged him to share her story"