Kiwi locked up in Thailand with no clothes, food or water

webfact

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

Absolutely disgraceful treatment for possession of just 2 tablets clearly for personal use (although illegal) and not a dealer who would have been treated better , SHAME on you BIB .

Shame on the whole country and embassies here so scared to even make an official complaint about one of their citizens being treated that way, almost amounts to torture oh i forgot that's still legal in the LOShame

33 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

What he deserved ?   according to you maybe,  but  even by the medieval  standards of "an eye for an eye" he got a bit more than he deserved on the face of it.

If you become a criminal in Thailand you have to face not to be treated as in your home country.

In this case stupidity met reality.????

Obviously something is missing here: thai policemen won't go that inhumane unless they got really pissed. Kiwi man probably dizzed them big time. 2 pills is nothing, not worth even detaining him for an hour. That's not a case. There's something we were not told.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Shame on the whole country and embassies here so scared to even make an official complaint about one of their citizens being treated that way, almost amounts to torture oh i forgot that's still legal in the LOShame

You have to understand that embassies & consulates around the globe are there to help with serious issues not just minor ones where someone has been stupid enough to get caught with some drugs in a foreign country with well publicised low tolerance for the same as well as not the most hospitable cells/jails?  Taking this into consideration, it's easy to understand that their attitude might be that you deserve what you get?

On a stag weekend trip to Prague once our apartment got broken into and one of my friend's passport were stolen.  Upon speaking to the embassy on Saturday, we were told that it would have to wait until Monday as weekends were emergencies only.  When we asked as to what exactly constituted an emergency as we had a plane to catch home the following day, we were told, "life or death".

Additionally you should know by now that Thailand thinks very little of what other countries think about it?  Therefore the embassy might have the attitude that they do not wish to upset the apple cart too much, in case it hinders the future assistance t may want to give to more genuine needs?  

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

If you carry drugs around then you face the consequences if caught.  He's lucky he wasn't in Singapore or Saudi.

The consequences of committing the crime of Corruption can also be quite severe but that doesn't seem to stop 'some people'. How does the story go........'people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'?

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I think it's quite widely known how crude and harsh Thai jails can be.To then proceed with ANY type of illegal substance then you get exactly what you deserve.

Nationality is irrelevant.

No sympathy and ignorance is no defence. (imho)

So two ecstasy tablets is worth 10 months (so far) jail where even Thais would be unlikely to suffer under such a harsh penalty?! 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The consequences of committing the crime of Corruption can also be quite severe but that doesn't seem to stop 'some people'. How does the story go........'people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'?

nothing to do with a drug user/carrier.    Drugs are not welcome in most societies.

12 minutes ago, Spock said:

So two ecstasy tablets is worth 10 months (so far) jail where even Thais would be unlikely to suffer under such a harsh penalty?! 

He hasn't been in jail for 10 months.  He got bailed when he was first arrested and recently surrendered to court whereby he was sentenced and spent a few nights in Patong nick whilst he awaits transfer to IDC.

As said previously, I met an Irish guy in Soi 9 nick who had done 18 months in the Hilton.  Whilst he said that he wouldn't recommend it, he didn't complain too much,  In fact he complained more about Soi 9 BIB only feeding him twice a day whereby in the Hilton it was 3?  

Edited by Trip Hop
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, steven100 said:

nothing to do with a drug user/carrier.    Drugs are not welcome in most societies.

sorry ....   reprint :    nothing to do with corruption.   Drugs are not welcome in most societies.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

sorry ....   reprint :    nothing to do with corruption.   Drugs are not welcome in most societies.

36 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Absolute rubbish... Drugs in their various forms are the cornerstone of many societies... 

Good old English Pub anyone ???

But, I think you mean ‘hardcore’ drugs which of course can be extremely damaging to society... 

And then, if so, you really don't know much about drugs... recreational drugs such as ecstasy are hardly the bane of society, rather the contrary in fact.

I’ve never taken ecstasy... but throughout my life have been surrounded by people who have, I’ve never witnessed it causing a problem (other than conflicts between dealers in some bars / clubs etc).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolute rubbish... Drugs in their various forms are the cornerstone of many societies... 

Good old English Pub anyone ???

But, I think you mean ‘hardcore’ drugs which of course can be extremely damaging to society... 

And then, if so, you really don't know much about drugs... recreational drugs such as ecstasy are hardly the bane of society, rather the contrary in fact.

I’ve never taken ecstasy... but throughout my life have been surrounded by people who have, I’ve never witnessed it causing a problem (other than conflicts between dealers in some bars / clubs etc).

I took it frequently when I lived in Bangkok in the first half of the 90's. It was excellent stuff smuggled in from Europe, but there were also high quality locally made capsules. It was a wonderful drug, so much so, I had to leave the country to get away from it. I have never had it since. But I wouldn.t begrudge this guy his 2 pills.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Obviously something is missing here: thai policemen won't go that inhumane unless they got really pissed. Kiwi man probably dizzed them big time. 2 pills is nothing, not worth even detaining him for an hour. That's not a case. There's something we were not told.

That is incorrect , the Police will arrest people for having one or two pills and he will probably get two years jail time

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If I’m not mistaken your argument is that treating someone who breaks the law in a subhuman manner which contravenes basic human rights is justified because they did something illegal ?

Where would you draw the line ?... because I’d hope not to get stripped naked, denied access to water and medication and locked in a cell for 3 days because I broke the speed limit...

I know, I know... I provided a hyperbolic strawman example... but that highlights the madness here.

The Kiwi did break the law, but whatever his punishment it is not to be decided by cowboys in a police station to strip him and remove access to medication and water for 3 days.

IF as another poster pointed out (with what appeared to be a report, source unknown) the Kiwi was also behaving terribly - that is still not sufficient reason for such treatment (although it explains it).

I wouldn't put too much value in a story like this.

• Like 1

Totally shameful bahavior on the part of the surly RTP. Arrested and jailed for over a year for two ecstacy pills? That is beyond dumb. No doubt they asked for a payout, and he could not come up with the funds. Nobody should ever be jailed for a tiny amount of recreational drugs. Ever. 

And no clothes, water or access to medications? What is this a Russian gulag, or a Chinese prison?

You sorry RTP guys need to step up. You are a truly pathetic lot, and deserve all the bad press you get. 

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering if the New Zealand Embassy cares enough to ask for his prescription drugs to be given to him and clothes at the very least. Do they torture prisoners in New Zealand? Australia, most probably. One man's police force is another man's cartel.

• Like 1