Kiwi locked up in Thailand with no clothes, food or water

webfact

58 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And other people think that if he doesn't want to be treated inhumanly, then he shouldn't get himself put in jail 

Maybe they have never heared that there are human rights, at least in some countries outside saudi arabia and iran.

My sincere condolences to them.

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

if you can't do the time ... don't do the crime.   He's been caught with drugs,  while we know his treatment is harsh, he won't be put up at the Sheraton that's for sure.

In your opinion it is OK to drink x amount of alcohol and bash or kill people 

• Confused 2

22 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

I'm wondering if the New Zealand Embassy cares enough to ask for his prescription drugs to be given to him and clothes at the very least. Do they torture prisoners in New Zealand? Australia, most probably. One man's police force is another man's cartel.

I guess you don't live in Australia 

Inside Australia's newest maximum security prison where inmates live in ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Totally shameful bahavior on the part of the surly RTP. Arrested and jailed for over a year for two ecstacy pills? That is beyond dumb. No doubt they asked for a payout, and he could not come up with the funds. Nobody should ever be jailed for a tiny amount of recreational drugs. Ever. 

And no clothes, water or access to medications? What is this a Russian gulag, or a Chinese prison?

You sorry RTP guys need to step up. You are a truly pathetic lot, and deserve all the bad press you get. 

Try reading..... again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keith101 said:

Absolutely disgraceful treatment for possession of just 2 tablets clearly for personal use (although illegal) and not a dealer who would have been treated better , SHAME on you BIB .

A case of their country - their rules Keith.

We should also bear in mind that Thailand has a massive drugs problem, so if we're caught we're treated accordingly.

(BTW, I'm not some anti drugs nut).????

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Maybe they have never heared that there are human rights, at least in some countries outside saudi arabia and iran.

My sincere condolences to them.

When we're in such countries we bear that in mind and act/behave accordingly. (I worked for 3 years in Saudi).

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Totally shameful bahavior on the part of the surly RTP. Arrested and jailed for over a year for two ecstacy pills? That is beyond dumb. No doubt they asked for a payout, and he could not come up with the funds. Nobody should ever be jailed for a tiny amount of recreational drugs. Ever. 

And no clothes, water or access to medications? What is this a Russian gulag, or a Chinese prison?

You sorry RTP guys need to step up. You are a truly pathetic lot, and deserve all the bad press you get. 

Their country - their rules.

To tell you the truth Mike, I'd love to drive to one of our nice pubs in the UK, have a few pints, and drive home again, but I can't. That's just what the laws are in the West, but I would probably get off with it in Thailand.

I believe that in the UK now almost as many people are getting driving bans for drug driving as drink driving.

Also, Thailand has a massive drugs problem, so we shouldn't be surprised if they have draconian drugs laws.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

To tell you the truth Mike, I'd love to drive to one of our nice pubs in the UK, have a few pints, and drive home again, but I can't. That's just what the laws are in the West, but I would probably get off with it in Thailand.

I believe that in the UK now almost as many people are getting driving bans for drug driving as drink driving.

Also, Thailand has a massive drugs problem, so we shouldn't be surprised if they have draconian drugs laws.

Yes same in Australia the drugs stay in your system for a few days if you get tested you are done banned for driving your car home for a day and pay a fine or go to court.

• Love It 1

Just now, still kicking said:

Yes same in Australia the drugs stay in your system for a few days if you get tested you are done banned for driving your car home for a day and pay a fine or go to court.

Many years ago my cousin went for a job with a big employer in our town in the UK. She went for the pre-employment medical, and the quack asked her if she had taken any illicit substances recently, and she said she had smoked some weed a few days previously. He said to her that by telling him that she had saved the company £XX for the drugs test. He said, no problem, I will just see you in a month's time. (He may well have been a toker himself!?). But that was good of him.

Just now, PeeJayEm said:

But the consequences should be humane!!

I do agree with you but there is some posters on here who thinks all drugs should be legal and other posters bragging about the alcohol they have drank. 

2 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Never drank SID then.

Yes (with orange juice, worst ever hangover????), and if you wanted real spirits they cost about $150 a bottle. In the 3 years I was in Saudi I probably had a drink on 6 occasions.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Not Bae Systems then. Alcoholics paradise.

No, I worked in oil exploration, often in the back of beyond. Spent some time on the edge of the Rub Al Khali 300km (?) SE of Dharhan, very hard to get drink there???? Most of my career was spent in very remote places, PNG, Australia etc (dry crews there when in an Aborigini area! Who woulda thunk it? An Ozzie crew with no p*ss!????).

My old friend Eamon O'Rourke worked for BAE in Saudi, he once drove home to the UK on break!

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Do we know if he was driving? Makes a big difference. I agree with strict drug and alcohol laws while driving. But, as a recreational drug, on one's own time, in a secure environment? 

We have all seen the ridiculous war on drugs has failed miserably, since the lovely and very, very innocent Nancy Reagan declared it. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Do we know if he was driving? Makes a big difference. I agree with strict drug and alcohol laws while driving. But, as a recreational drug, on one's own time, in a secure environment? 

We have all seen the ridiculous war on drugs has failed miserably, since the lovely and very, very innocent Nancy Reagan declared it. 

I actually agree with you on the war on drugs thing, and besides alcohol and cigarettes, I've never been a drugs user. (had a smoke 3 times in my life).

22 hours ago, mstevens said:

There are reasons why Thailand has long been known as a place to avoid illegal drugs. Disappointing to see the way this fellow has been treated but at the same time, Thailand is not a place to do anything with illegal drugs, irrespective of the quantity. The "price" you pay can be extremely harsh as this Kiwi has found out.

Thailand is ok for illegal drug because the country is corrupt and in most cases one can get out of the situation immediately when caught with small possession for personal use. Not sure why this person ended up where he is now. May be his attitude or not able to bribe the cops when caught due to lack of fund or sheer stupidness. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Spock said:

So two ecstasy tablets is worth 10 months (so far) jail where even Thais would be unlikely to suffer under such a harsh penalty?! 

But he was not in jail for 10 months read the OP again

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

which kind of indicates that draconian drug laws have little to no effect

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now... some bright spark is bound to tell you your comments are conjecture and guess work... but thats all we have and a discussion forum such as this is designed for such comment..... 

I can easily see what you have written as being very a realistic explanation of events. 

That said, the use of ‘Prescription’ medication implies the medical was something more serious that couldn’t be purchased over the counter - but that also could be complete embellishment. 

I'm pretty sure the "prescription drugs " issue was indeed an embellishment , the lack of specifics points to that , also the  potential consequences of his being deprived  ( if indeed there were any )would have been capitalised on to add weight to the story.  

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 2:11 AM, CharlieH said:

I think it's quite widely known how crude and harsh Thai jails can be.To then proceed with ANY type of illegal substance then you get exactly what you deserve.

Nationality is irrelevant.

No sympathy and ignorance is no defence. (imho)

So if he had been banged up for shoplifting his treatment while under lock and key would have been wrong?

Or what?

Why does the fact of it being a (very minor) drugs offence make his atrocious treatment "satisfactory" in your eyes.

Is there a schedule in Thai law that demands that sort of treatment for drug offenders?

• Like 1