Thai army chief says “coup” should be removed from media’s vocabulary

webfact

On 5/11/2023 at 2:59 PM, webfact said:

that the word “coup” tends to cause political conflict and should be removed from media’s vocabularies.

You go first ???? When the military can stop creating coups for say 30 years then remove the word.

Narongpan Jitkaewtae must be new on the block, otherwise he would know, that many of his predecessors on the yearly rotating musical chair have said the very same over and over and over already. 
Interesting enough it was the very same army, which got involved in what  Narongpan Jitkaewtae does not like to hear. 

A Coup d'état is quite clearly an internal power play and, let's face it, Thailand has had its more than fair share. A total of  18 coups and 18 constitutions over the last 91 years, so there is a justification on the questioning by the Thai electorate. 

30 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Narongpan Jitkaewtae must be new on the block, otherwise he would know, that many of his predecessors on the yearly rotating musical chair have said the very same over and over and over already. 
Interesting enough it was the very same army, which got involved in what  Narongpan Jitkaewtae does not like to hear. 

A Coup d'état is quite clearly an internal power play and, let's face it, Thailand has had its more than fair share. A total of  18 coups and 18 constitutions over the last 91 years, so there is a justification on the questioning by the Thai electorate. 

"The number of coups in Thailand, successful or unsuccessful, is uncertain leading one academic to call for a concerted effort to make a definitive list." According to one professor at Chiang Mai University's Institute for South-East Asian Affairs, there have been almost 30 coup attempts in Thailand since 1912. Some count 11 [successful] coups since 1932 others count 13. wiki

Do the math:

Years since 2014 (last) coup = 9

Average years between coups = 91 years / 11 coups = 8.27

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Could be some interesting times ahead for the military.

Exit poll project huge wins for MFP in Bangkok

Candidates from the MFP are projected to win in nearly all of Bangkok’s 33 constituencies, according to an exit poll by the National Institute of Development (NIDA), a think tank.

Indeed. 

As of past 7PM this evening, MF has a significant lead [candidate seats] throughout BKK Metro as well as an overwhelming lead throughout upcountry.....PT and PP are making a show of it with Pheu thai gaining much more constituency seats....

We'll see how this holds by the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Indeed. 

As of past 7PM this evening, MF has a significant lead [candidate seats] throughout BKK Metro as well as an overwhelming lead throughout upcountry.....PT and PP are making a show of it with Pheu thai gaining much more constituency seats....

We'll see how this holds by the next couple of days. 

MF and PT have a lower house majority.

55297216_ScreenShot2023-05-14at8_11_41pm.png.a54f09833d78687851138a6a85dfb2cc.png

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 8:37 AM, bamnutsak said:

Of course he used the word "coup" several times during his lecture.

This sounds like a threat.

I don't get why the military is choosing to fight the battle on conscription? Make the military a viable option by encouraging voluntary enlistment with financial and educational incentives. And if you need maids just hire Burmese like every other household.

Thailand would be better served by a reserve force. I did 2 years national service in Australia, I learned nothing except drastically improving my drinking capability.

Edited by NONG CHOK
typo
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NONG CHOK said:

Thailand would be better served by a reserve force. I did 2 years national service in Australia, I leared nothing except drastically improving my drinking capability.

That will stand you in good stead for your future!