North Texas students stage school walkouts against gun violence amid recent mass shooting at Allen outlet mall

onthedarkside

image.png.fc7f28641b961f6ae2bb54275cb238f6.png

DALLAS — Students at schools across North Texas staged walkouts against gun violence.

About 100 students at Bishop Dunne Catholic School in Dallas were among those who walked out. The teens walked outside to the football field. They locked arms and silently marched for nearly a half hour.

The demonstration was organized by students. However, it was an act of civic engagements some administrators supported. 

READ MORE

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/texas-school-walkouts-gun-violence-amid-allen-outlet-mall-shooting/287-ceef268e-0f07-4653-8135-b2e2685298ef

image.png.51d02acf8b94f01826a5306ae475b640.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’m in solidarity with the students vote out the cowards who allow the slaughter to continue a kids right to live and get an education far outweighs a persons right to buy a war weapon period all stop 

Then you can rest easy my friend. Nobody can buy a war weapon anywhere in Texas, or the US for that matter. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Oh I’m so relieved (cosmically heavy sarcasm alert)why don’t you have a nice warm chat with some of the parents whose kids have been dismembered by the ar15s or the ak 47s hummm?what an utterly (insert word here) thing to say

Glad you are relieved. Now, once you can communicate without hyperbole or tear-filled appeals to emotion, perhaps we could enjoy a productive conversation. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Good gesture from the students, but it will be ignored.

Of course it will be ignored.

With the host of firearm regulations needed to get some sort of decent effect, even little baby steps get blocked.

Banning gun sales to young American adults under 21 is unconstitutional, judge rules

A federal judge in Virginia has ruled that a law banning licensed federal firearms dealers from selling handguns to young adults under 21 violates the Second Amendment and is unconstitutional.

Payne’s ruling is the latest decision striking down gun laws in the wake of a landmark Supreme Court ruling last year that changed the test courts have long used to evaluate challenges to firearm restrictions. The Supreme Court said judges should no longer consider whether the law serves public interests, like enhancing public safety. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-top-headlines/banning-gun-sales-to-young-american-adults-under-21-is-unconstitutional-judge-rules/

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Of course it will be ignored.

With the host of firearm regulations needed to get some sort of decent effect, even little baby steps get blocked.

Banning gun sales to young American adults under 21 is unconstitutional, judge rules

A federal judge in Virginia has ruled that a law banning licensed federal firearms dealers from selling handguns to young adults under 21 violates the Second Amendment and is unconstitutional.

Payne’s ruling is the latest decision striking down gun laws in the wake of a landmark Supreme Court ruling last year that changed the test courts have long used to evaluate challenges to firearm restrictions. The Supreme Court said judges should no longer consider whether the law serves public interests, like enhancing public safety. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-top-headlines/banning-gun-sales-to-young-american-adults-under-21-is-unconstitutional-judge-rules/

So no alcohol sales till they're 21, but guns are ok at what age, 16 or so?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Glad you are relieved. Now, once you can communicate without hyperbole or tear-filled appeals to emotion, perhaps we could enjoy a productive conversation. 

To be perfectly honest with you I don’t think I can have a productive conversation with anyone who makes lite of kids and for that matter adults getting slaughtered all to protect the (right to own semi auto long guns) nope I do want you to know I own firearms I don’t wear it on my sleeve when I was younger I modified several blowback operated 22s to fire full auto (long gone now)used to plink stuff when I was boored standing wheel watch times have changed and so have I it’s a different world now

Meanwhile next door in Canada AR 15 type rifles have just been banned. Hand guns, the most used murder firearm weapon. has been highly restricted since the 1930's. In 2018 there were 249 firearm murders in Canada with a population of nearly 40m. How many USA cities had more? One of the reasons I never visit that Looney Tunes country which is only 60 miles from where I live.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Meanwhile next door in Canada AR 15 type rifles have just been banned. Hand guns, the most used murder firearm weapon. has been highly restricted since the 1930's. In 2018 there were 249 firearm murders in Canada with a population of nearly 40m. How many USA cities had more? One of the reasons I never visit that Looney Tunes country which is only 60 miles from where I live.

You don't have the drug cartels' gang bangers fighting for sales turf, as much up there.  

The AR-15 is rarely used in murders, as too expensive, but receives all the press.  And not even AR-15s, just AR-15 style rifles, whatever that is.

Maybe parents should start being parents, and raise their kids properly.  Complex issue that will never be solved, and not sure the powers to be, even want to solve it.   Seems easy enough to solve, and yet ....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Homicides by firearm 2021

Canada: 297 with population 38.21M so one in 129k

USA: 12,520 with population 332.18M so one in 26.5k

USA has nearly five times the amount of homicides via firearm as Canada.

The US is clearly doing something terribly wrong when it comes to guns.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You don't have the drug cartels' gang bangers fighting for sales turf, as much up there.  

The AR-15 is rarely used in murders, as too expensive, but receives all the press.  And not even AR-15s, just AR-15 style rifles, whatever that is.

Maybe parents should start being parents, and raise their kids properly.  Complex issue that will never be solved, and not sure the powers to be, even want to solve it.   Seems easy enough to solve, and yet ....

This.

The truth that anti gun people do not want to admit.  Rifles and shotguns are not the problem.  Handguns are the weapon of choice in the vast majority of both murders and suicides.   It is beyond ridiculous to attempt to craft social policy based on feeling and not on data. 

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

This.

The truth that anti gun people do not want to admit.  Rifles and shotguns are not the problem.  Handguns are the weapon of choice in the vast majority of both murders and suicides.   It is beyond ridiculous to attempt to craft social policy based on feeling and not on data. 

Here is some data about what an AR-15 does should little kids have the temerity to try and protect themselves with one of those kevlar backpacks when faced with a shooter at their school and his legally obtained AR-15:

With an AR-15 (the school shooters weapon of choice) they might as well have a cheesecake strapped to their back.   I don't quite understand why the gun nuts seem to feel that anyone and everyone should be able to buy these things, especially due to their prevalence in mass shootings in schools.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

This.

Once again you dodge the fact that the issue driving wide spread public calls for gun controls is non crime related mass shootings in schools, colleges, places of worship, shopping malls.

The weapon of choice in most of these mass murders is AR15 stiled weapons.

I’ve repeatedly challenged you on this obfuscation you resort to, you never have a response, just more obfuscation and of course semantics.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Here is some data about what an AR-15 does should little kids have the temerity to try and protect themselves with one of those kevlar backpacks when faced with a shooter at their school and his legally obtained AR-15:

With an AR-15 (the school shooters weapon of choice) they might as well have a cheesecake strapped to their back.   I don't quite understand why the gun nuts seem to feel that anyone and everyone should be able to buy these things, especially due to their prevalence in mass shootings in schools.   

The reason is because school shootings and murders, while tragic, are a subset of a subset of a subset of crimes.  EG; total homicides in 2018 about 16,000. Homicides with guns about 12,000.  Homicides of young people about 1500. Homicides at schools 39 (including staff).  Has been as high as about 60 in the past.  

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator/a01/violent-deaths-and-shootings?tid=4

So people spend too much time on a problem that pales in comparison to the overall problem of violence and crime. 

48 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Once again you dodge the fact that the issue driving wide spread public calls for gun controls is non crime related mass shootings in schools, colleges, places of worship, shopping malls.

The weapon of choice in most of these mass murders is AR15 stiled weapons.

I’ve repeatedly challenged you on this obfuscation you resort to, you never have a response, just more obfuscation and of course semantics.

No obfuscation- see above. Homicides in schools are about 0.3% of homicides in the country.  Most mass shootings involve handguns (77%), not long weapons.  Even as a location of mass shootings, public schools are only 7.6% of all mass shootings.

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/public-mass-shootings-database-amasses-details-half-century-us-mass-shootings

It is all about publicity and media coverage.  School shootings and the like attract attention and give politicians a chance to grandstand in front of cameras. But policy should not be formed on that basis.

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

So no alcohol sales till they're 21, but guns are ok at what age, 16 or so?

Well sort of yes, different states have different age restrictions but its a crazy situation.

One study found that state laws raising the minimum legal age to purchase firearms to 21 years were associated with a nine percent decline in rates of firearm suicides among 18-to-20-year-olds.

The most concerning aspect of that article I linked to though was the reason the judge said its unconstitutional to ban firearms to under 21's because of the Supreme Court ruling:

"The Supreme Court said judges should no longer consider whether the law serves public interests, like enhancing public safety. Governments that want to uphold a gun restriction must look back into history to show it is consistent with the country’s “historical tradition of firearm regulation,” the Supreme Court said."

The Constitution more important than peoples lives. The gun nuts win again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well sort of yes, different states have different age restrictions but its a crazy situation.

One study found that state laws raising the minimum legal age to purchase firearms to 21 years were associated with a nine percent decline in rates of firearm suicides among 18-to-20-year-olds.

The most concerning aspect of that article I linked to though was the reason the judge said its unconstitutional to ban firearms to under 21's because of the Supreme Court ruling:

"The Supreme Court said judges should no longer consider whether the law serves public interests, like enhancing public safety. Governments that want to uphold a gun restriction must look back into history to show it is consistent with the country’s “historical tradition of firearm regulation,” the Supreme Court said."

The Constitution more important than peoples lives. The gun nuts win again.

Alcohol is now 21 in all states.   Learn something new everyday, or try to.

Firearms, 18 (Fed law), rifles & shotguns, states may have restrictions, but allowed to purchase.   Same age as  joining to military & being sent to war zone.

21 to buy a handgun, which most murder/crimes are committed with.

Purchase illegally, any age from 'Car Trunk Inc.'

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Alcohol is now 21 in all states.   Learn something new everyday, or try to.

Firearms, 18 (Fed law), rifles & shotguns, states may have restrictions, but allowed to purchase.   Same age as  joining to military & being sent to war zone.

21 to buy a handgun, which most murder/crimes are committed with.

My post was not referring to alcohol but to firearms including long guns where unlicensed persons may sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a long gun or long gun ammunition to a person of any age.  No need for any learning for me thanks.

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

The reason is because school shootings and murders, while tragic, are a subset of a subset of a subset of crimes.  EG; total homicides in 2018 about 16,000. Homicides with guns about 12,000.  Homicides of young people about 1500. Homicides at schools 39 (including staff).  Has been as high as about 60 in the past.  

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator/a01/violent-deaths-and-shootings?tid=4

So people spend too much time on a problem that pales in comparison to the overall problem of violence and crime. 

Mass school shootings/massacres are pretty much non-existent in countries that restrict gun sales, whereas in a country like the USA where anyone and everyone can buy guns these still seem to occur quite often.   Any thoughts as to why that might be?   Perhaps other countries that restrict gun sales coincidentally have better parenting or something?   

7 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

No obfuscation- see above. Homicides in schools are about 0.3% of homicides in the country.  Most mass shootings involve handguns (77%), not long weapons.  Even as a location of mass shootings, public schools are only 7.6% of all mass shootings.

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/public-mass-shootings-database-amasses-details-half-century-us-mass-shootings

It is all about publicity and media coverage.  School shootings and the like attract attention and give politicians a chance to grandstand in front of cameras. But policy should not be formed on that basis.

Again obfuscation.

I specifically referred to non crime related mass shootings in schools, colleges, places of worship and shopping malls.

Off you go again with your obfuscation.

7 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

And homicides are about 0.1% of crimes in the country. So clearly we should not care about them and just think about the bigger picture. (sarcasm)

It is as much obfuscation as well as it is deflection. There evidently is an issue with mass shootings in schools and tighter gun controls would be one of the important measure to counter it. No matter what stats you bring about other crimes and trying to draw attention away from the very specific topic will change that. You don't need to solve a bigger problem before trying to solve a smaller one.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Again obfuscation.

I specifically referred to non crime related mass shootings in schools, colleges, places of worship and shopping malls.

Off you go again with your obfuscation.

Not obfuscation. You are focussing so narrowly on such a small subsegment of shootings that it is impossible to make sense of it.  From the data I posted, those altogether are about 35% of mass shootings. Not sure what you mean by "non crime related"... you mean shootings not connected with another criminal plan, like a robbery, but just random acts of violence by nutcases?