Changing marriage extension to retirement

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

I only changed because I hated the under consideration period.

I don't understand why you hated that, apart from a 30min home visit, I know people worry it may not be granted, but in reality if they found nothing wrong on the day you applied then it will be granted IMO

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I don't understand why you hated that, apart from a 30min home visit, I know people worry it may not be granted, but in reality if they found nothing wrong on the day you applied then it will be granted IMO

I did the 'marriage' route for 7 years and never had a single home visit.

Marriage involves much more.... I think you might recall our previous back-n-forth banter on the subject.

'Retirement' is by far easier!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:
5 hours ago, MJCM said:

I only changed because I hated the under consideration period.

I also changed back to retirement from marriage due to the under consideration period, because it was 2x250Km round trips from my house to Kap Choeng Immigration for marriage and 1 trip for retirement. 

• Like 2

When I switched from a Non OA Marriage extension to a LTR Pensioner visa in late 2022 (done at BoI Chamchuri Sq in Bangkok Immigration) when a person is having their current "marriage" extension cancelled to switch to the new LTR visa a person should bring along their wife, wife's Thai ID card, a marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3), and a fresh marriage registration (Kor Ror 2).   Immigration tells you this in the LTR approval letter before you come to BoI immigration to have the LTR visa inked into your passport.

Basically BoI immigration wanted to confirm the wife was aware of the visa change....and maybe to confirm the person had been living up to the marriage extension requirements/was still married vs being divorced which would have immediately terminated the marriage extension...the person would have technically been on an overstay.

However, if, repeat if I had been on a Non OA "Retirement" extension switching to the LTR Pensioner visa no need to bring wife, girl friend, pets, or anything along....just me needed to attend.

Seems from varying posts above show switching from a marriage extension to another type of extension such as Retirement that different immigration offices handle it differently....some want the wife to also attend along with KR3 an KR2 docs whiles other offices do not require the wife to come along.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It's about you have to go to Immigration 2 times instead of only 1 time. And you always have to bring your wife the first time as well. With retirement you only need 1 visit and wife not need to attend (except first time while changing).

Of course if your Immigration office is near your house, then it's not a big issue. But if you have a long way or as in Bangkok a lot of traffic, which can easily be 4-5 hours trip per visit, then it could be a pain for some people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HampiK said:

It's about you have to go to Immigration 2 times instead of only 1 time. And you always have to bring your wife the first time as well. With retirement you only need 1 visit and wife not need to attend (except first time while changing).

Of course if your Immigration office is near your house, then it's not a big issue. But if you have a long way or as in Bangkok a lot of traffic, which can easily be 4-5 hours trip per visit, then it could be a pain for some people.

Don't forget all the extra paperwork required for the 'marriage' visa as well as needing double copies!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I hated it because there was always a chance you had to go back because you or they missed something. It did not happen to me but it happened to a friend of mine, he was in BKK (during the under consideration period) and had to (really) rush back home to get papers to IO because they misplaced some documents and in the end he had to go back not once but 2 times.

So (IMHO) while being under consideration it's not wise to go anywhere far away so you are stuck at home.

Ps: We have never had a Home Visit not when I had the Marriage Extension in Pattaya or when we moved to Buriram and also NO home visit since I changed to Retirement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Don't forget all the extra paperwork required for the 'marriage' visa as well as needing double copies!

Paper work is not that much different only difference is

- NEW KR2 from the AMphur (20 THB)  get it on the day or day before you go to Immigration

- Copy of KR3 front and back

- Pictures of you and the wife.

- Copy of Wife's ID and House Book

What I did was I scanned all the documents into my PC and just when needed printed them out (after I changed the date) easy peasy.

Our IO doesn't want double copies but even if they want double copies then setting the printer to 2 copies instead of 1 no problem

47 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Paper work is not that much different only difference is

- NEW KR2 from the AMphur (20 THB)  get it on the day or day before you go to Immigration

- Copy of KR3 front and back

- Pictures of you and the wife.

- Copy of Wife's ID and House Book

What I did was I scanned all the documents into my PC and just when needed printed them out (after I changed the date) easy peasy.

Our IO doesn't want double copies but even if they want double copies then setting the printer to 2 copies instead of 1 no problem

As it's been stated before, all IOs have different requirements and even on different days. The IO I used (Chiang Mai) wanted more than what you have listed.

Having done the 'marriage' route 7 times and the 'retirement' route 7 times I will firmly stand behind my belief from my experience:

The overall process of getting an extension based on retirement is much easier than doing so based on marriage!

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Having done the 'marriage' route 7 times and the 'retirement' route 7 times I will firmly stand behind my belief from my experience:

The overall process of getting an extension based on retirement is much easier than doing so based on marriage!

I agree, I have done the Marriage extension around 10 times and Retirement now 2 times but I have never had a problem with it, the only reason why I switched was because of the Under Consideration Period.

I also agree that every Immigration is different,  I always used the same documents every year and it was always accepted.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

The IO I used (Chiang Mai) wanted more than what you have listed.

Could you maybe list (if you remember) what they wanted? Could help some other members that stumble on this thread?

Edit: These are the Docs that we needed (for Marriage Extension)

docs.JPG.a84aef612f12599e387f37f7342c0dbc.JPG

Edited by MJCM
Added Attachment
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I agree, I have done the Marriage extension around 10 times and Retirement now 2 times but I have never had a problem with it, the only reason why I switched was because of the Under Consideration Period.

I also agree that every Immigration is different,  I always used the same documents every year and it was always accepted.

I never said anything about having any problems, I was merely saying that from my experience the retirement route was much simpler. 

58 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Could you maybe list (if you remember) what they wanted? Could help some other members that stumble on this thread?

Below is a copy of what I posted on this recent thread:

Maybe things have changed or are different but the last tie I did the marriage extension was in 2015. My daughter and my wife had to also go to the IO as my wife had to be interviewed each time. I tried going one year without them and I was sent away and was told that my wife, at a minimum, had to join me.

I also  had to go twice each time. The first to go through the application and interview process, then about 30 days later to get my passport stamped after Bangkok approved the extension.

Yes, 2 copies of everything for marriage and only 1 for retirement, (Writer's cramp signing 2 copies of all the dead trees.) Here's the list of what was required for marriage and has never been needed for retirement. (Maybe things are different now or are different at other IOs):

- Marriage cert

- Divorce decree

- Wife's Thai ID

- Wife's house book

- Daughter's birth certificate

- An affidavit from the US Consulate stating that I was previously divorced, currently married to my Thai wife, and when/where my daughter was born. (NOTE: This affidavit came at a cost. If memory serves me correctly it was $50 USD).

- Pictures of me and the family at our rental home

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I never said anything about having any problems, I was merely saying that from my experience the retirement route was much simpler. 

Sorry that was not what I meant, I agree that the Retirement one is much simpler, and you also don't get the 3rd Degree from IO.

I have witnessed on several occasions that people (who were applying for a marriage extension) got send away because their documentation was not complete, but that said also witnessed a guy (going for retiremtn) got send away for the same reason :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

Below is a copy of what I posted on this recent thread:

Maybe things have changed or are different but the last tie I did the marriage extension was in 2015. My daughter and my wife had to also go to the IO as my wife had to be interviewed each time. I tried going one year without them and I was sent away and was told that my wife, at a minimum, had to join me.

I also  had to go twice each time. The first to go through the application and interview process, then about 30 days later to get my passport stamped after Bangkok approved the extension.

Yes, 2 copies of everything for marriage and only 1 for retirement, (Writer's cramp signing 2 copies of all the dead trees.) Here's the list of what was required for marriage and has never been needed for retirement. (Maybe things are different now or are different at other IOs):

- Marriage cert

- Divorce decree

- Wife's Thai ID

- Wife's house book

- Daughter's birth certificate

- An affidavit from the US Consulate stating that I was previously divorced, currently married to my Thai wife, and when/where my daughter was born. (NOTE: This affidavit came at a cost. If memory serves me correctly it was $50 USD).

- Pictures of me and the family at our rental home

The only time I had to show my documents that I was single, was upon marriage at the amphur and at the MFA, after that only the KR2 and the KR3 mattered. We don't have kids but every year they asked and wondered why, we are both in our 50's so not starting now to have kids ::cheesy:

Just now, MJCM said:

The only time I had to show my documents that I was single, was upon marriage at the amphur and at the MFA, after that only the KR2 and the KR3 mattered. We don't have kids but every year they asked and wondered why, we are both in our 50's so not starting now to have kids ::cheesy:

As I have stated endlessly in other threads, my Thai wife and I were married in the USA and have never (after nearly 20 yrs) registered our marriage here in Thailand. Perhaps the reasons I needed to show those divorce and marriage papers. 

15 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I also changed back to retirement from marriage due to the under consideration period, because it was 2x250Km round trips from my house to Kap Choeng Immigration for marriage and 1 trip for retirement. 

So you put an extra Bht 400k in the bank to save yourself ONE 250km trip, costing, in my Vigo, 20 litres of fuel.

Someone tell me whoever replied, what is confusing about my post please.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

So you put an extra Bht 400k in the bank to save yourself ONE 250km trip, costing, in my Vigo, 20 litres of fuel.

I think it was more than just the extra trip to the IO. Besides 400k THB isn't so much. Unless you are one of the poor ones that pay for an agent because you don't have 800k.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

I think it was more than just the extra trip to the IO. Besides 400k THB isn't so much. Unless you are one of the poor ones that pay for an agent because you don't have 800k.

So what more is needed other than going to the IO with all the correct papers of course.

And if Bht 400k is not that much to you, here is my Bank Account number...5555-5555-555

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

As I have stated endlessly in other threads, my Thai wife and I were married in the USA and have never (after nearly 20 yrs) registered our marriage here in Thailand. Perhaps the reasons I needed to show those divorce and marriage papers. 

That I did not know, but then understandable why it's much more complicated then when you are married in Thailand only.

I registered my Thai Marriage in my Home Country but that is only because of on my death the taxman doesn't keep a lot of my money and my wife inherits the lot ????

Edited by MJCM
Added: some words

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
15 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Edited 12 minutes ago by KannikaP

It was the inconvenience (half day wasted) more than the cost of the fuel. The money was already in the bank. Plus now I don't need to involve Mrs MD.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I am not the Poster and I did not put that Confused emoji there, but you forgot to count for the time to drive 500km (2 x 250km) that is a long day and Kap Choeng was so difficult that when I moved to Buriram and they were the designated IO for my area, I went with NON-O from Savannakhet and only switched back to Extensions after they opened a IO in Buriram.

One example how difficult they were, they WOULD NOT process my application unless I got a Yellow HOUSE BOOK, just got send away.

I have a similar question. I just got divorced three days ago…..is my extension no longer valid? I was under the impression it was good until the end of my present extension in October. And do I have to report this to Immigration?

part 2.

I want to do a visa run to Cambodia and return as a tourist and then get an O visa.

I want to leave Thailand on my American passport, and enter Cambodia on my brand new never used British passport, and return into Thailand on that British passport.

it sounds simple….but is it simple and possible?

Thanks only for informed answers and not some guesses.

8 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I have a similar question. I just got divorced three days ago…..is my extension no longer valid? I was under the impression it was good until the end of my present extension in October. And do I have to report this to Immigration?

part 2.

I want to do a visa run to Cambodia and return as a tourist and then get an O visa.

I want to leave Thailand on my American passport, and enter Cambodia on my brand new never used British passport, and return into Thailand on that British passport.

it sounds simple….but is it simple and possible?

Thanks only for informed answers and not some guesses.

the day ur officially divorced ur extension is null  and void>

you can easily switch passports if you fly, cant crossing overland
you can even return on a vis exempt entry , even easier if you already have a bank account

PS: in Phnom Penh if you dont want hassle with the embassy i recommend Cina travel on street 130 near riverside, cost $60 vs $40 and still takes 3-5 working days thou

7 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Your extension is no longer valid upon the day of divorce. 

Now if the wife has passed away while married then the marriage extension remains valid until its normal expiration date. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Mansell said:

You are on overstay right now, as said already by other members only when your wife dies it will be still valid until expiration date, NOT when you got a divorce.

goto immigration on Monday 

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You are on overstay right now, as said already by other members only when your wife dies it will be still valid until expiration date, NOT when you got a divorce.

goto immigration on Monday 

Go to immigration for what.

Last thing he should do is go to immigration. 

He needs to exit Thailand without reentry permit. 

There will be no overstay fine..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Go to immigration for what.

He needs to exit Thailand without reentry permit. 

There will be no overstay fine..

I see what you mean, he doesn’t disclose on his way out of the country that he is divorced, IO at the border will see that his extension is still valid and will just stamp him out. 

correct?

Edited by MJCM