Thailand’s experiment with weed goes up in smoke

snoop1130

32 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

And yet, no calls to ban alcohol

Did Jesus Christ drink wine, did the Queen of England drink wine.....?

Well of course they did, but they were not p_ss heads, they did not need a daily fix which puff seems to be.................????

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 6:42 PM, Denim said:

Yes. There is a ban on sales during election. Big problem for tourists.

What's the "problem" for tourists, 24 hours without buying alcohol, at least eight of which they'd probably be sleeping, so one evening of sobriety?   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:12 PM, redwood1 said:

There are 4358 weed shops  https://weed.th/  in Thailand... I bet more like 6000-7000.....Plus loads of growers and online sellers...

There are rental contracts, emplyees, taxes, loans, suppliers to be paid etc etc etc....

Point is HUGE  numbers of people have invested every thing they have into this..

No, the point is that they invested voluntarily with no promises of returns.  Capitalism involves risk.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:12 PM, redwood1 said:

But any shutdown faster than this is not possible without paying out $$$$$$ in compensation....

Rationally, who do you think should be responsible for paying compensation to those who voluntarily decided to set up their own businesses (dodgy, in most cases as they do not sell only for medical reasons)?    Presumably, you mean the government, does the government pay compensation to other entrepreneurs whose bars, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. failed?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/12/2023 at 5:44 PM, Mitkof Island said:

And what happens to all the Thais that spent money creating shops etc?

When there is a run on anything most people lose. Happens all the time with fads, tulip mania, etc. people chase it up expecting to get rich, get loans and expand too quickly, which leads many to financial ruin.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...we can now smoke it freely".

Er, not officially anywhere, you can't.

On 5/7/2023 at 2:15 PM, torturedsole said:

The way I see it, the majority of Thais don't give a rat's <deleted> what you're smoking or where you smoke it and you'll only feel heat if you're caught red-handed by the BiB.

I smoked a joint last week at the DMK Terminal 2 smoking area and didn't attract any attention, whatsoever.  Obviously, I didn't pull out a 12" reefer and wave it about (it was only slightly longer than a cigarette) but there's obviously no hiding the smell and plenty of airport workers were there as well.  All was fine.  

What I personally wouldn't do, for example, is smoke weed walking along Sukhumvit and if I did need a smoke, then I'd find somewhere to stand away from the pavement and where there's little chance of the BiB jumping out from behind a lamppost. ????

I know, but doesn't stop me trying. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

And they're wrong about that too. There are many different cannabinoids and they work together in harmony. If you isolate THC without CBD for example, things get a bit out of balance.

I have some good friends in the UK who've been very involved with this whole subject for decades. Which is the only reason I know so much about it. Every human has cannabinoid receptors in their brain. They only react to cannabis so why would they be there if we're not not meant to ingest the plant? If you believe in God, you should accept that he put all the plants here for us to eat.

One of my friends eats only the leaves and seeds of cannabis plants for months at a time because he claims it's the ideal food for our health.

Here's the link for anyone who's interested.  http://freecannabis.net/cannabis-compendium/cannabis-a-dietary-essential/

And the rest of his story, in which he befriends Howard Marks http://freecannabis.net/contact-free/the-chronicles-of-cannabis/

Thanks...also Compassion Clubs of Canada

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

When there is a run on anything most people lose. Happens all the time with fads, tulip mania, etc. people chase it up expecting to get rich, get loans and expand too quickly, which leads many to financial ruin.

laundry mats seem to be the latest fad

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

wife is in agony with fingers all swelling up painful every day,cannot do gardening which she loves, why do people want to screw up the rights of people who want to self medicate? was it a bad childhood. experience?

Maybe they bought stocks in the healthcare industry?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, youngexpat said:

I went to choate rosemary hall for highschool.

so did John f kennedy and ivanka trump.

I have personally gotten high with the heirs of SC johnson, walmart, dupont, anheiser busch, the pritskers, kuwaiti princes the list goes on and on.

higher class people indulge recreationally

if you think that it is confined to rockstars, who ironically i personally wouldn't consider higher class, you are just dead wrong.

I remember Choate.  Our headmaster had to call a special meeting before “Choate Day” in order to plead with the students to not cheer “Choate Does Coke!” at the sporting events.

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/05/05/nyregion/14-choate-students-expelled-in-inquiry-into-cocaine-arrest.html

Those were some wild times ????

• Thanks 1

It is not clear what the future of cannabis use will be in Thailand following today's election. The fact is that weed is easily available in several  ASEAN countries, whether decriminalised or not. 

Edited by Thingamabob
Spelling error.
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, paddypower said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65567781 a reasonable source of info? '

The constitution, written while Thailand was under military rule, created a 250-seat appointed senate, which gets to vote on the choice of the next PM and government.

As the senators were all appointed by the coup leaders they have always voted in favour of the current, military-aligned government, and never in favour of the opposition.

So technically any party without the senate's backing would need a super-majority of 376 out of the 500 seats, an unobtainable target.'

Legally, without any fiddle factors, IMHO it will be extremely difficult though not impossible depending on PTP coalition partners and their numbers.

OTOH after the EC, CC, alphabet soup organisations, police, army civil service and the rabid royalist yellow shirts have stuck their oar in, I believe that it will be impossible, unles the Thai voters refuse to accept those results.

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do you have any idea where I can order it please? I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet.

It might be worth a trip to the local  government hospital, the one  here in surin is an official outlet and it is even  available at the smaller hospital in the local amphur where they have constructed a a new building for the purpose complete with a large cannabis leaf fashioned in the architecture

• Like 1