Return of ex-PM Thaksin may still leave Prayut with a test even if he loses this Sunday’s election

webfact

2 hours ago, generealty said:

Thaksin (legally voted in PM) was addressing the United Nations in New York when the Army took over and a military funded Court set up to try him in his absence. Found guilty and sentenced. Internationally this is considered illegal. Whether you think he should serve time in prison or not. In my mind the Military Coup and trial in his absence is a far bigger crime. And so was the 2014 Coup and the installing of Police and Military top brass as Governors with voting power 'Prior' to the first election. These'Yes Governers' accounted for 30% of allocated voting. AND it still took nearly 5 months to announce the results. Sufficient time to doctor the results ?

Trying the chargesd person in absentia depends on local law, not on international law. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

There would never have been a peaceful democratic solution, The coup was sanctioned from the very top 

It's not wise to discuss it, but there are a few press articles mentioning the reason why Thaksin got his passport revoked in 2015.

16 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

What do you call someone who has broken the law and not been caught or convicted?

an unconvicted criminal  ?   very clever?   well connected?   or just plain lucky

28 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Prayut is history. He either leaves peacefully or the people will get rid of him.

First - try to steal back some of the fortune that he has accumulated illegally.

Edited by paddypower
spell

46 minutes ago, paddypower said:

my mantra for this week is ABP (anyone but Prayut)

My mantra is ABT. Let's look how that works out.

Thailand definitely needs change - and not just from the last government. Otherwise history will repeat itself. And that would be bad for everybody. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

On Friday, Thailand’s army chief General Narongpan Jittkaewtae told reporters that the word coup should be removed from their dictionaries

Unless the winning party successfuly overturns the 2018 constitution that is.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 6:00 AM, hotchilli said:

Stop this utter rubbish, he ain't coming back.

Unless Pheu Thai win convincingly and they win a Royal pardon before he sets foot back here.

Thaksin will never get a royal pardon so long as Prayut has a certain person's ear. 

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:01 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's time that his supporters understand that a criminal is a criminal. Even if millions of people like him. He is a criminal and he avoided jail for many years. It's time that he goes to jail. If his supporters don't like it, then they should cry in their red villages.

And what about the criminals in the yellow shirt camp ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

And what about the criminals in the yellow shirt camp ?

What about them?

If people commit crimes, then prosecute them and convict them. The color of their shirts shouldn't matter.

Personally I saw lot of aggressive red-shirts on the streets of Bangkok.

And I saw peaceful yellow-shirts.

That obviously doesn't mean that one group was always aggressive and the other always peaceful. But that was what I personally observed. And I lived and still live between the areas of the main protests. 

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That obviously doesn't mean that one group was always aggressive and the other always peaceful. But that was what I personally observed.

You mean those peaceful yellow-shirts, that blocked the government district and the airports for weeks under their peaceful leader Sondhi Limthongkul, the convicted criminal?

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, h90 said:

The constitution says different....and the General was elected...even got the most votes in the last election.
While a coup is not nice, Thailand was on the bring of a civil war and the government in power was a caretaker parliament that expired already (I hope I don't mix the last 2 coups).
I rather have a coup of someone who returns to democracy than a full civil war. There was already talks about some provinces splitting away. Democracy is not the most important thing. Life is because if you are dead nothing matters.

I do wish that you would research the topic before posting untruths.

NO the general did NOT get the most votes at the last election.

He only became the PM because the FFP was disbanded, disenfranchising over 6 million voters, the EC changed their rules on how many votes political parties needed to get a party list seat  and the 250 NON elected hand picked by himself senators voted for him.

He became the PM because of that.

So you would rather ignore (like Prayuth) the wishes of 50 million Thai people who are entitled to vote, and let an illegal coup leader stay in power?

I do hope that you don't have a vote in the election today.

It is the right of the Thai people and nobody else, which politicians and which political party they vote for.

NOT you, me or anyone who has NO vote.

Nor does the EC, CC, the alphabet soup agencies, the police, military, civil service or the senate have ANY right to change the result.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

What do you call someone who has broken the law and not been caught or convicted?

Connected !!    Red Bull Brat,  numerous monks and abbots to name a few. If you have money and are not a political threat to anyone you will be immune from the law so long as you pay the piper. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yeah, very peaceful

https://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.com/2018/11/08/lone-popcorn-shooter/

“Lone” popcorn shooter

8 11 2018

As many readers will already know, the Supreme Court has sentenced the People’s Democratic Reform Committee “popcorn gunman” to “37 years and four months in prison for shooting at political demonstrators in Laksi in 2014, killing one person and wounding three others.”

A second aspect of the report is that no mention is that Vivat is the only one of several shooters at that event who was arrested, despite claims that others were known to police and military. No warrants were ever issued for them. In the public record, it seems that Vivat remains the only PDRC armed militant to have ever been charged.

As is usual in hired gun cases, Vivat was a pawn for wealthy and well-placed plotters. They never get named, let alone charged or even investigated. Who ordered and paid Vivat and his armed cohort?

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What about them?

If people commit crimes, then prosecute them and convict them. The color of their shirts shouldn't matter.

That obviously doesn't mean that one group was always aggressive and the other always peaceful. But that was what I personally observed. And I lived and still live between the areas of the main protests. 

They "peacefully" prevented people from voting! ????

https://robertamsterdam.com/turkey-and-thailand-a-tale-of-two-coups/

thailand-coup-pdrc-attack.jpg

For all those people who don't like my comment above and then quote only part of it.

Please read this part again. And if you still don't understand it, then read it again.

We all look and read news, and we have our personal experiences. Maybe they match, maybe not.

I walked almost daily through the yellow shirt protests on Asoke. No problem, no danger.

And years before that I had ask the red-shirts thugs at their barricades if they let me through to visit my customer. That was a very different experience. 

Other people might have other experiences, I don't deny that.

red-shirt-security-guard-in-front-of-bar

• Thanks 1

What about them?

I lived near Soi Rungnam in the days of the red rapages across parts of Bkk. Many times we had red activists knock on our condo door. Some demanded to see my passport.

Some knocked on doors then barged in when the door was opened and did a quick seach for any signs of support for non red groups.

A red man and woman told me to go to the airport and never return. Many owners/residents in my condo fled to live with relatives/friends etc., and came back weeks later.

They were doing the same intimidation in many buildings in that district every day.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I lived near Soi Rungnam in the days of the red rapages across parts of Bkk. Many times we had red activists knock on our condo door. Some demanded to see my passport.

Some knocked on doors then barged in when the door was opened and did a quick seach for any signs of support for non red groups.

A red man and woman told me to go to the airport and never return. Many owners/residents in my condo fled to live with relatives/friends etc., and came back weeks later.

They were doing the same intimidation in many buildings in that district every day.

And let's not forget: The tomato police did exactly nothing against those red-shirts who built huge barricades and intimidated people in the middle of the city.

If the police would have done their job, then the military wouldn't have to do it - military style. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/13/2023 at 11:01 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's time that his supporters understand that a criminal is a criminal. Even if millions of people like him. He is a criminal and he avoided jail for many years. It's time that he goes to jail. If his supporters don't like it, then they should cry in their red villages.

I don't think they (his supporters) will accept that unless the real criminals who regularly steal power from the population also do jail time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And let's not forget: The tomato police did exactly nothing against those red-shirts who built huge barricades and intimidated people in the middle of the city.

If the police would have done their job, then the military wouldn't have to do it - military style. 

What has become of the tomato police? Are they now the lemon or lime police?