Urinating

KannikaP

43 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've had peeing problems since my late 20s (I'm 63 now).  After a barrage of tests, I was diagnosed with weak bladder muscles (I'd love to know the correct medical term) and was told if it wasn't an embarrassment for me, I didn't need surgery.  I've lived with it ever since (taking forever to empty my bladder) although now as the symptoms mirror prostate problems I make sure I have a biannual PSA prostate examination.

It is getting noticeably worse in my later years, and I envy the powerful streams produced by some men.  Mine is a dribble at best and takes forever to start and finish.

I guess I have to live with it for the rest of my life, although some of the medications mentioned in this thread might be useful.  Any ideas?

I can sympathise with you, because as far back as I can remember I never had the sort of stream which one could envy, and standing next to someone in the toilet who was "peeing like a racehorse" made me very aware of my condition.

Now, some 55 years later my bladder has stopped working and like @MJCM on this thread, I have to use a catheter every night, but if I'm lucky during the daytime I might get a dribble to ease the pressure.

Now to get onto the point – – many of the medications mentioned on this thread are to deal with BPH/enlarged prostate, so as that doesn't seem to be your problem, I don't know how much use they would be to you.

Has your urologist recommended any medicine for your condition? 

As an aside, my urologist gave me Bethanechol tablets which were supposed to "stimulate" my bladder – – but all to no avail I am afraid, however may well be worth asking your urologist about these?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Now, some 55 years later my bladder has stopped working and like @MJCM on this thread, I have to use a catheter every night, but if I'm lucky during the daytime I might get a dribble to ease the pressure.

I think you are mistaken me with someone else, I am on Xatral XL for my enlarged prostate. Fortunately not yet have to use a catheter ????????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I think you are mistaken me with someone else, I am on Xatral XL for my enlarged prostate. Fortunately not yet have to use a catheter ????????

OOPS......sorry about that!! The poster has (I think) a similar name to you......my bad, and I hope the Xatral XL is working for you.

All the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

OOPS......sorry about that!! The poster has (I think) a similar name to you......my bad, and I hope the Xatral XL is working for you.

All the best.

No worries ????????

edit: 

you got me curious, it was @Moonlover

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Never a good idea to start taking medicine that someone else is taking. Go to see an urologist and talk to him about it he can subscribe you the right medicine. 

Also please do note that AFAIK all the medicine for enlarged prostate have some side effects and that your urologist will (should) also explain. 

My urologist hasn't diagnosed any prostate issues (I'm due another check this year), and in the past I was told I should "live with it" or have surgery.  I chose the former.  My query was whether anyone else had the same issue and advice.

On 5/13/2023 at 9:15 AM, CanadaSam said:

Drinking "loads" of water and only peeing twice in a 24 hour period is not normal.

IMO, you were sick, now you're better!

But in any case, go ask a doctor, please.

my thoughts exactly!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My urologist hasn't diagnosed any prostate issues (I'm due another check this year), and in the past I was told I should "live with it" or have surgery.  I chose the former.  My query was whether anyone else had the same issue and advice.

Maybe a good idea for a 2nd opinion, my first urologist did a procedure which when I think about it still gives me shivers, lots of blood for a couple of days and peeing was like peeing Razor blades even up to a point that I was almost afraid to pee. When I mentioned to my 2nd urologist what my 1st urologist had done he looked very surprised

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've had peeing problems since my late 20s (I'm 63 now).  After a barrage of tests, I was diagnosed with weak bladder muscles (I'd love to know the correct medical term) and was told if it wasn't an embarrassment for me, I didn't need surgery.  I've lived with it ever since (taking forever to empty my bladder) although now as the symptoms mirror prostate problems I make sure I have a biannual PSA prostate examination.

It is getting noticeably worse in my later years, and I envy the powerful streams produced by some men.  Mine is a dribble at best and takes forever to start and finish.

I guess I have to live with it for the rest of my life, although some of the medications mentioned in this thread might be useful.  Any ideas?

I doubt that what is going in is your long term weak bladder tone getting worse, rather you likely have an  enlarged prostate, most men your age do.

More than a PSA is needed. (PSA cannot diagnose enlargement at all, only provide some indication if there is cancer - some of the time. Most enlargement is benign.) 

You need a manual prostate exam and then, assuming findings are consistent with BPH,  medications. See a urologist.

• Thanks 1