Another coffee shop near my hotel bites the dust.

steven100

To create coffee 96 C is the best, according to tests. At that temperature, you extract the aroma's of the coffee the best. Too hot and coffee gets bitter, too cold and it is owl's p*ss.

Of course you dont drink at 96 c, your tongue and other parts will protest. But drinking it at 50/60 C or so.

Your tongue say, it's hot, but you can handle.

Then also the amount of water can destroy the taste. Had a coffee shop in Satun,  As first time I came  there, there was less water in the cup and it was like an angle peeing over your tongue. And then they changed once to full cup, going down on my taste.

I told them on next  time to have 3/4 of cup filled and then it was marvelous again, but hot drinking 50/60 C!

Times after that I came they already knew how i did my coffee and I didnt have to ask anymore. It was sensational to drink, as all the instant coffee brands , eeeeeeeew.

When i went to Thailand had coffee at airport, Starbucks. Too much water at least, eeeeeeeew. They dont know how to make coffee. Probably American receipt, watery. Amazone in Thailand at petrol stations is quite good, happy to go there.

You ever drink beer? In Thailand they just poor in, the foam is almost fading away instantly. For English ok, but not for me. The foam (2 finger rule) protects the beer from oxidation and it is nice to "bite "in. Glasses shouldnt be cleaned with soap, but only rinsed with soda water, my father told me all once and he was a bartender when he was young.(rules about beer)  Also you store beer at 5 C, but drink it when it is 8 C, aroma's !

OK not for English, they drink it "hot", eeeeew. 

But enjoy your coffee nowadays, as many growers getting old, stop and they dont have followers. As their kids think to make more fun and money in another place. They all want to be a vlogger or blogger. Work? eeeeeeeeew

Cacao the same way, love your chocolate today, as it could disappear in the near future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Customers sitting at seats waiting for their coffee to cool down are taking up space and stopping other customers sitting down and thats why they serve cool coffees instead of hot ones 

But when those paying customers, and the next customers don't return, how is that going to benefit the business?

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The hotter the better for me boiling is ok.

As far as no good cheap coffee I know of a few places that serve 30 b cups.  But, the most consistent freshly ground hot cup is 7-11.  I believe it is 30 b for Americano and they will add fresh milk no extra cost.

It so so much better then a Starbucks which is such a joke makes people think they are hiso I guess taking selfies with their lousy 150b coffee.

Agreed. IMO, can't beat 7-11 coffee for quality and value. Won't get the comfort and ambience of S***bucks or similar, but your coffee will still be "hot" and tasty when you get back to your room after 5 minutes walk.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

What if one is naturally contrary to invented standards and officialdom?

Then what...??

????

I like to drink good tasting espresso. I don't want to spend my time with looking at all the details which have to be right to make it perfect.

But I watched some videos and read some article about the perfect espresso. And it seems the experts agree that the taste suffers if the water is too hot or too cold and if the pressure is too high or too low and and and ...

In the few places where I think the espresso is excellent I receive a cup which is too hot to drink when I get it. I didn't count the minutes but I guess after 3 to 5 minutes it's ready to drink. Fine. I relax and enjoy the wonderful aroma.

IMG_20221229_085701.thumb.jpg.01743afada7c3737d7766f1be5f706ba.jpg

27 minutes ago, still kicking said:

He lives in an expansive hotel but can't afford to buy himself an expresso maker. :cheesy:

There is a lot more to it than just an expensive coffee maker. One issue is warm up time. Switch on that wonderful and expensive espresso machine and wait at least 1/2 hour to let it warm up.

My favorite coffee place in 5 minutes away on my bike. With fresh roasted coffee and all the good equipment. I don't have a coffee machine at home.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is a lot more to it than just an expensive coffee maker. One issue is warm up time. Switch on that wonderful and expensive espresso machine and wait at least 1/2 hour to let it warm up.

My favorite coffee place in 5 minutes away on my bike. With fresh roasted coffee and all the good equipment. I don't have a coffee machine at home.

I guess you don't have one mine takes just 2 minutes to warm up 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Coffee shops serve warm coffee and not boiling hot coffee because cups of boing coffee take time to cool down and that causes customers to sit around for longer and less business for the shop .

You go to coffee shops for a coffee , you don't get a guaranteed smile with your coffee and staff shouldn't be forced to smile at customers 

Not much negativity in the above. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Enjoy the show. 

One can buy a Gran Gaggia or a Baby Gaggia for 1/3 of the price.  A bit of tweaking to the Gaggia and you have a wonderful expresso machine. 

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Coffee and tea are made with boiling water.

So it should be nearly boiling when served.

Nope, not espresso coffee. The temperature should be less than boiling, random websearch shown below. Same goes for the milk but I CBF looking it up.

Espresso coffee is an art and why good baristas are revered as saints by some coffee drinkers. 

I suspect this is what the OP is driving at, ie. that the owners of the particular franchise that went bust had no idea about any of this sort of stuff and therefore served up crap to the customers. 

https://www.homegrounds.co/espresso-temperature/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

James Hoffmann - Wikipedia

"Hoffmann first came to prominence after winning the World Barista Championship in 2007"

And your credentials are... ? 

I think you misunderstood my post, probably because I lapsed into Aussie talk. Let me rephrase: you're wasting your time trying to educate some of the folk in here. They believe that gristle on a stick is just as good as filet steak ????

ps. my coffee credentials are that I grew up in Sydney. Some good coffee down that way thanks to the Italians introducing their "Expresso" machines. Without the wo...I mean New Australians, Australia would be a cultural desert.

I'm by no means a connoisseur but I have drunk enough espresso to know good from bad. At least I think I do, happy to be proven wrong ????

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I think you misunderstood my post, probably because I lapsed into Aussie talk.

Ok, thanks, I apologize.

It's easy to misinterpret: "this mob".

Enjoy the night. I will have my first espresso in a couple of hours and I am looking forward to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I think you misunderstood my post, probably because I lapsed into Aussie talk. Let me rephrase: you're wasting your time trying to educate some of the folk in here. They believe that gristle on a stick is just as good as filet steak ????

ps. my coffee credentials are that I grew up in Sydney. Some good coffee down that way thanks to the Italians introducing their "Expresso" machines. Without the wo...I mean New Australians, Australia would be a cultural desert.

I'm by no means a connoisseur but I have drunk enough espresso to know good from bad. At least I think I do, happy to be proven wrong ????

IMO the best coffee is Vietnamese, by the length of a footy field.

What kills me are the arty-farty types, who form a wailing Greek chorus if their double shot skim milk long macchiato is served one degree off temperature,

or in the wrong receptacle.

You are from Sydney? Please accept my sympathy.

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

I cured my arithitis by myself. They were no help, said you could'nt do anything.

So google plus trying a few supplements worked. Doctors useless.

So you think the 4-5 years of training is wasted. When you tried a few supplements, you found something that worked for you, although it may have been a placebo effect. You became a lab rat.

I have had chronic osteoarthritis for decades, I control it with diet and exercise. No medications or supplements.

When you self-medicate, what do you do if what is needed is only available on a doctor's prescription?

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Customers sitting at seats waiting for their coffee to cool down are taking up space and stopping other customers sitting down and thats why they serve cool coffees instead of hot ones 

I thought it was because most thai's like the cold coffees.  Really hot coffee would melt all the ice rather quickly.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So you think the 4-5 years of training is wasted. When you tried a few supplements, you found something that worked for you, although it may have been a placebo effect. You became a lab rat.

I have had chronic osteoarthritis for decades, I control it with diet and exercise. No medications or supplements.

When you self-medicate, what do you do if what is needed is only available on a doctor's prescription?

Nothing to do with placebo. Lack of nutrients which most over 50 have.

I think drs are only useful for operations.