Move Forward Party’s good election result leaves uncertainty as to who will form the government

webfact

35 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

LOL you do not watch things, do you.  BJT like every other Thai pol party has a local set of voters that in one area will vote for them no matter what.

Anutin could do almost anything wrong and screw up the world and still they would vote for him.

Pot is still not safe.  The only party that felt it should be allowed with no restrictions was the BJT and they are going to have no say.

They have already said he will never be allowed near the Health ministry.

There will be changes to the availability and also possibly to the penalties but I would not say that the status quo is safe.  I look for a lot of stores to shut down and a heavily regulated industry to be established.

I think CBD and pot will be regulated by the hospitals. 

you seem to have it all figured out then. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The key question now is the fate of both the Move Forward and Pheu Thai parties which are facing disturbing probes by the Election Commission and the attitude of the Thai Senate or upper house which still retains 250 votes in the selection of the next prime minister when parliament convenes in the coming months.

Nothing more needs to be said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Yep they kicked him out then they would not relinquish power. The constitution was changed and 250 military lackeys made sure the last election did not reflect the will of the people. One tycoon out one general in. Now tables have turned. Tycoon Thaksin will return and the bent General will run away. Or will he? I have always said in Thailand the military is always waiting in the wings. If they make a move this country will explode.

Let's see if Thaksin will return.

If I would bet then I would bet he won't return.

The main reason is that if he would return that would be major headache for Thailand. And few people in Thailand want that headache.

If he dies in the desert the problem with fade. Good.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Day 1.

Vote to amend the 250 unelected senators out

Vote to Remove all ranks above Generals passports.

Vote to Enquire on all ranks above generals finances

Could the new government legally eliminate future coups? Sorry I guess I need more coffee.

2 hours ago, h90 said:

Move Forward are left progressive liberals from a other oligarch family and friends with WEF and the promise to have a strong anti-China politics.

What's wrong with anti-China politics? After years of sycophancy towards China, a move the other direction would bring some balance back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

you seem to have it all figured out then. 

I wish just like you trying to read the pot leaves.  There are too many stores and pop-ups around that I think they will have to regulate them in some form.

Considering that the prevailing winds say it is ok for Medical use if prescribed it makes sense that hospitals be able to supply it.  Then again these days you can go to a pharmacy so you may see a few shops that will have auth to sell to people with a legit medical prescription.

Then again TIT

Edited by kingstonkid

25 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

people with a legit medical prescription.

And how much one has to pay for a "legit" medical prescription? 
The election results will strengthen Baht and I hope any military intervention to thwart people's choice result in weakened baht. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

What's wrong with anti-China politics? After years of sycophancy towards China, a move the other direction would bring some balance back. 

The maybe biggest economy in production terms next to us, with the second largest military which we are in very friendly conditions, our biggest business partner. With a good part of the population coming from there. Why on earth should we get hostile with them?? Thailand has no border dispute. There is no advantage only disadvantages.
That is like Canada would get for no reason hostile with USA.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's see if Thaksin will return.

If I would bet then I would bet he won't return.

The main reason is that if he would return that would be major headache for Thailand. And few people in Thailand want that headache.

If he dies in the desert the problem with fade. Good.

If he would retire from politics I am sure he could come back without jail. But that doesn't seem likely

5 minutes ago, h90 said:

The maybe biggest economy in production terms next to us, with the second largest military which we are in very friendly conditions, our biggest business partner. With a good part of the population coming from there. Why on earth should we get hostile with them?? Thailand has no border dispute. There is no advantage only disadvantages.
That is like Canada would get for no reason hostile with USA.

No disadvantages, unless you look at gray businesses, triads, land purchases, etc. I'd think that a party that wants to hold the line on that sort of thing is doing a favor for its citizens.

Edited by John Drake

22 minutes ago, h90 said:

If he would retire from politics I am sure he could come back without jail. But that doesn't seem likely

By now he promised at least 100 times that he will retire. Empty promises, like always.

He also promised that he will be an honest PM when he started many years ago. He said he had already so much money that he didn't need more. And then he transferred his shares to his maids and gardeners and called it an honest mistake...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

By now he promised at least 100 times that he will retire. Empty promises, like always.

He also promised that he will be an honest PM when he started many years ago. He said he had already so much money that he didn't need more. And then he transferred his shares to his maids and gardeners and called it an honest mistake...

Well promised to retire mean that he won't send nominees.....Can't understand why people don't have enough....he has enough money for several lifetimes

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, h90 said:

Well promised to retire mean that he won't send nominees.....Can't understand why people don't have enough....he has enough money for several lifetimes

Maybe it is boring to just be rich. I was never in that situation... 

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe it is boring to just be rich. I was never in that situation... 

I wondered that also with some American oligarchs philanthropists.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The results so far are good news for the Bhumjaithai Party and Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and may be seen as a rejection of Mr Chuwit Kamolvisit’s anti-marijuana crusade.

I honestly can't understand how this conclusion was reached when 292 seats went to parties with strong platforms against recreational cannabis use and the architect of cannabis decriminalization only received 69 seats.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

And how much one has to pay for a "legit" medical prescription? 
The election results will strengthen Baht and I hope any military intervention to thwart people's choice result in weakened baht. 

the baht and SEC are not going to get strong until the circus is finished.  The election just answered who is going to sue who and who is going to be reported for being a bad boy or girl.

The military and BJT will be looking to delegitimize the election.  The letter complaining about attempt to buy votes PT and the fact that there were some issues with stocks  of a company that while listed is still not doing anything are going to be interesting

On 5/15/2023 at 9:00 AM, robblok said:

How do you see them as dangerous, anti china politics seem good and shaking up the system is good too. I think these guys are of a higher standard that is for sure. 

This might even help you get cheaper beer as they seem to want to break the old stupid alcohol laws. I think liberals are always the best choice for governments over conservatives. While you rather have bad politicians you know i prefer new blood that might suprise us. Especially given how bad the old dinosaurs on both sides were. 

China is Thailands biggest businesspartner, why would you make them an enemy and loose business? Thailand has big exports to China. I am all for shaking up the old laws that are out of time since 50 years, but liberal and progressive usually means hard left, not that was liberal meant 20 years ago. And I rather take conservative dinosaurs over the political correct nanny state with high taxes and tons of regulations. I prefer as little government as possible. If MF makes a slim government and cancels the old laws than I am all for it....but if it goes the European way + being an American vassal than I rather have the dinos

On 5/15/2023 at 8:25 AM, kingstonkid said:

This country could be in for a rough ride if the courts do not sit on their hands and let the people will be the decision.

There will be a revolution if for any reason the military try to hold on to power, the people have spoken and made that perfectly clear.

Maybe. But the people have spoken last time too and you know what the outcome was.

If MF is not banned and able to form a government, it might be easy to bring some thousands yellow shirts to Bangkok, cause a couple of weeks of trouble and then let the generals "bring back peace to the country".

Don't forget Thailands holds the world record for military coups.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There will be a revolution if for any reason the military try to hold on to power, the people have spoken and made that perfectly clear.

There is not going to be a revolution or a civil war. The "revolutionaries" have too much to lose. They are not lurking out there in the jungle, living in dirty fatigues, and waiting to pounce. They are the ones comfortable with their homes and houses, their university degrees, and job prospects. Some people on this board are just drooling over the prospect of a civil war (not including you), and they are living out their fantasies rather than Thai realities.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

There is not going to be a revolution or a civil war. The "revolutionaries" have too much to lose. They are not lurking out there in the jungle, living in dirty fatigues, and waiting to pounce. They are the ones comfortable with their homes and houses, their university degrees, and job prospects. Some people on this board are just drooling over the prospect of a civil war (not including you), and they are living out their fantasies rather than Thai realities.

The university kids are the revolutionary.  The big question is how long can anutin hold power if his coalition is less than pt.

The youth will not stand for a coup the Senate hates thaksin. What is left

23 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I honestly can't understand how this conclusion was reached when 292 seats went to parties with strong platforms against recreational cannabis use and the architect of cannabis decriminalization only received 69 seats.

Cannabis was not the defining issue, not even top 10. Yes, MF and PTP voiced concerns about cannabis, but mostly about regulating the industry, rather than re-criminalizing it.

35 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The university kids are the revolutionary.  The big question is how long can anutin hold power if his coalition is less than pt.

The youth will not stand for a coup the Senate hates thaksin. What is left

According to Khaosod, one MFP Pm-elect has already resigned after being arrested for drunk driving this morning. Don't sound like much of a revolutionary to me.

I am heartened by the US Ambassador saying he is looking forward to seeing the official results. That, to me, is code for " EC get a shift on and no monkey business whilst you're at it". It's a message for the military men.

No Thai Govt wants to be a US vassall but hacking off an ally and big investor and donor by using dubious methods against the will of the people is a no-no.