Move Forward Party Leader Announces to Form New Government with Former Opposition Camp

webfact

Six-Party Coalition Govt In The Making: Pita
By Thai Newsroom Reporters

image.jpeg

Move Forward leader Pita Limjaroenrat. Photo: Thai Rath

MOVE FORWARD LEADER PITA Limjaroenrat confirmed today (May 15) a six-party coalition government with the Move Forward as its core and himself as prime minister is currently in the making.

Given the Move Forward surprise victory in yesterday’s general election, Pita told reporters at the Move Forward headquarters that contacts have been informally made between the leadership of the Move Forward and those of the five other parties for the tentative setting up of a Move Forward-led coalition government with a combined total of 310 MPs on their side.

In addition to the Move Forward which has 152 MPs, the other coalition partners include the Pheu Thai with 141 MPs, the Prachachart with 9 MPs, the Thai Sang Thai with 6 MPs, the Thai Liberal with one MP and the Fair Party with one MP.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/05/15/six-party-coalition-govt-in-the-making-pita/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

19 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

So in other words, he needs 66 more votes.  Do you think he can get 66 of the senators?  

Good question. I predict they'll conspire to give between 50 and 60 votes for the purposes of 'verrisimilitude' (if I've spelt that right!)  - the appearance of honesty. 'Appearance' being the operative word.

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

So in other words, he needs 66 more votes.  Do you think he can get 66 of the senators?  

Probably not unless he commits to not allowing any reforms of the Institution, and does not allow Thaksin to return.

BJT has enough seats to help a coalition assume power without any Senators votes.

5 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Probably not unless he commits to not allowing any reforms of the Institution, and does not allow Thaksin to return.

BJT has enough seats to help a coalition assume power without any Senators votes.

But they don't want BJT as a partner, because both MF and PT are against the potheads

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

But they don't want BJT as a partner, because both MF and PT are against the potheads

Meh, overly simplistic, and that's not what is holding back BJT joining the coalition. Pita can offer a different ministry, other than MoPH (and MoT for that matter), and still reign in Cannabis, if that is important.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, h90 said:

Well it is protecting Monarchy, Religion and Country (not Military) and there is nothing wrong with that.

MoveForward ran on a platform which included certain reforms of the Institution. Millions voted for MF based on their platform.

It would be disingenuous to abandon this plank NOW.

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

MoveForward ran on a platform which included certain reforms of the Institution. Millions voted for MF based on their platform.

It would be disingenuous to abandon this plank NOW.

Yes sure, but than they can expect opposition from these people who are loyal to that....As I am not Thai and Atheist it is not my thing but I understand that it is important for many people. Most countries have laws protecting their political structure so it is not something that happens in Thailand only. We'll see how it plays out.

6 minutes ago, h90 said:

Yes sure, but than they can expect opposition from these people who are loyal to that.

Yes. Sure. During the election.

And of course they can continue to voice their opposition, and vote in Parliament against any reforms. But holding a government in waiting hostage? Not a good look.

There are some off-ramps but ultra-Royalists will not allow ANY reforms, nor even any discussions about reforms, so there is a deadlock.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

I’m worried now. My wife as well as a great deal of youngish Thais are infatuated with this guy. “My husband win!”, she claims. 

lucky you. my wife's infatuated with all things Loong Tu. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Yes. Sure. During the election.

And of course they can continue to voice their opposition, and vote in Parliament against any reforms. But holding a government in waiting hostage? Not a good look.

There are some off-ramps but ultra-Royalists will not allow ANY reforms, nor even any discussions about reforms, so there is a deadlock.

The solution would be: Away with the Senators...they are not needed.
Changes in the constitution can be only made with a 2/3 or 3/4 majority in parliament and major changes need a single issue public referendum where a majority of all voters approve it.
Than there is no need anymore for any Senators as safety against elected bad guys.

48 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The senators aren't working for Prayuth.

They, like Prayuth, are just guard dogs.

The system was never designed to cope with the massive collapse in support for the Old Order.

Previously the "favoured" Parliamentary governing bloc (with a comfortable or narrow majority) would always prevail because it had the senate securely behind it.

Those "Old Order" parties are now so depleted that, effectively, the will of Parliament will be permanently at odds with the Senate.......because the Senate was only set up to bolster the ideology of it's proxies in Parliament.......who are now thoroughly enfeebled.

It must be understood that the Senate has absolutely no interest in a functioning Parliament, unless it is able to manage it as an instrument of the will that is not that of the people.

That was the core aim of the Constitution.

The sides in the coming conflict will be Senate vs Parliament.

It cannot be settled by negotiation, because they are contradictions of each other.

There is no civil solution.

I doubt there is a massive collapse of the support of the old order Monarchy and Religion. People want reforms but I doubt they want to permanent change the order to something nihilistic western style. But I might be wrong, maybe they want that.
The senate as guard dog is a silly solution. A good constitution that can be changed only with a big support would be the right solution

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, h90 said:

I doubt there is a massive collapse of the support of the old order Monarchy and Religion. People want reforms but I doubt they want to permanent change the order to something nihilistic western style. But I might be wrong, maybe they want that.
The senate as guard dog is a silly solution. A good constitution that can be changed only with a big support would be the right solution

They want the military out of politics. Its that simple. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, marin said:

They want the military out of politics. Its that simple. 

I think they want more change than that...Military has no place in politics, but on the other side the job is per definition to protect Monarchy, Religion and Country. So if something very bad happens they must do something. Question is: Where is the line.....

• Confused 1