Jomtien's gone rogue on Non-Imm O visa

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

I've checked that out. Pacific Cross with 40k deductible (once per policy year) gives 3 million baht insurance for 38k a year. I'd be getting insurance anyway and that's cheaper than my current health insurance in Aus

O-A visa also means I never have to visit immigration for 2 years (other than first 90 day report in person) ????

how long before that changes?

9 minutes ago, JayClay said:

It also says "for an extension of stay", which the OP isn't applying for...

Let me ask you this question:

Isn't this same TM7 application used whether it's for an initial request or any following request?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

TM7 is for the initial or following requests for an extension of stay. My post never mentioned extension of stay and was for an application of Non-Imm O visa (TM7 not used)

Maybe that is my confusion then as I have always used a TM7 from the first time.... (2009). I have never ever used a TM86 or TM87 as another posted mentioned.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Maybe that is my confusion then as I have always used a TM7 from the first time.... (2009). I have never ever used a TM86 or TM87 as another posted mentioned.

I think your confusion is that he is not applying for an extension but an O visa in country, my guess you already had a visa of some type when you arrived in Thailand originally

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

They must be short on tea money to make it even harder than usual. Report it to Pattaya News, try AJ on Facebook 

Is AJ a member on here? Is any Pattaya News reporters a member? Would love to ask them to comment (thinking defamation laws may prevent Pattaya News article)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Yes, when you enter Thailand on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, which you acquired abroad you have sufficient time to open a personal Thai bank-account and transfer the funds from abroad and have them seasoned for 60 days before applying for the 1-year extension of the Non Imm O Visa.

However, when you enter Thailand VisaExempt, providing you with a 30-day Permission to stay on entry, you won't have sufficient time - even if you apply for a 30-day extension, to season the funds for 2 months (and surely not if you still have to open a personal Thai bank-account and transfer the funds).  That's why in ALL other Imm Offices in Thailand you only need to provide evidence of those +800K on your bank-account at the moment of application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

Jomtien actually forces Newbies arriving on a VisaExempt entry that want to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, to do a border-run after having opened their bank-account and transfered the funds, otherwise they won't be able to meet that @#$%^ 60-days seasoning Jomtien-only requirement.  

As I wrote in my previous comment, it is also clear WHY they do this > as it drives Newbies to Visa Agents, and the corrupt Jomtien officers will indirectly benefit from the 'brown envelopes' they receive via that channel.  

Like Al Pacino said in 'Scent of a Woman' > If I were 30 years younger I would go back there with a flame-thrower and burn the place to a crisp....

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, flexomike said:

I think your confusion is that he is not applying for an extension but an O visa in country, my guess you already had a visa of some type when you arrived in Thailand originally

You're exactly right. I entered Thailand on a Business Visa I obtained at the Thai Embassy in NYC. I then applied for an extension based on marriage which then I later converted to retirement. Thus I have always done a TM7.

1 hour ago, d4dang said:

how long before that changes?

Why would it change? O-A used to be 400k inpatient/40k outpatient. It just changed to 3 million baht cover as I quoted so not likely to change again. As for the O-A itself it's multi entry and gives 12 months stay every re-entry so gives almost 2 years if you re-enter just before 12 month expiry (as long as you keep insurance valid)

As I said previously, best visa after my Jomtien hell, never need to visit immigration for 2 years, which means I don't even have to do a TM30 after the first time ????

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, d4dang said:

soon it will be easier to get a Clambodian long term visa and live in Thailand as a tourist commuting or ? Join the Chinese mafia and get Thai citizenship...oh that scam is over.

oh sorry this was sarcasm.....but I can't delete the comment but Cambodia is competing with Thailand for tourists and investment

I will stand by what I have experienced, maybe it has been rescinded now with the Covid restrictions gone.

You cannot/could not obtain a non 'O' extension directly from a visa-exempt, it is/was changed by immigration to a tourist visa (last year) using TM87 form from which you can extend if required then apply for a 3 month non imm 'O' using the TM86 form. This can be extended to a 12 month extension for marriage / retirement etc.

The TM87 Thai Visa Application Form in 2021 - Integrity Legal - Law Firm in Bangkok | Bangkok Lawyer | Legal Services Thailand

Read it all... This explains the process (at the time) that I and many others used.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is getting like the facebook groups where people like yourself just guess

People like yourself just won't accept what others have experienced so accuse them of guessing ...... Plonker! 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Madgee said:

I will stand by what I have experienced, maybe it has been rescinded now with the Covid restrictions gone.

You cannot/could not obtain a non 'O' extension directly from a visa-exempt, it is/was changed by immigration to a tourist visa (last year) using TM87 form from which you can extend if required then apply for a 3 month non imm 'O' using the TM86 form. This can be extended to a 12 month extension for marriage / retirement etc.

The TM87 Thai Visa Application Form in 2021 - Integrity Legal - Law Firm in Bangkok | Bangkok Lawyer | Legal Services Thailand

Read it all... This explains the process (at the time) that I and many others used.

So pretty much covid work around rules now not available

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Why would it change? O-A used to be 400k inpatient/40k outpatient. It just changed to 3 million baht cover as I quoted so not likely to change again. As for the O-A itself it's multi entry and gives 12 months stay every re-entry so gives almost 2 years if you re-enter just before 12 month expiry (as long as you keep insurance valid)

As I said previously, best visa after my Jomtien hell, never need to visit immigration for 2 years ????

I have been here 39 years and the Immi rules have always been changing. You are happy. Good on you mate.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Conversion to an O visa IN THAILAND is by definition at the officer's discretion

There are ~ 75 immigration offices.

Can you rattle off a few offices imposing same rubbish as Jomtien. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My opinion which people can take it or leave it.

There is nothing to complain about and nobody to complain to.

Why?

Conversion to an O visa IN THAILAND is by definition at the officer's discretion.

It's pure folly to view this as something to be taken for granted or viewed as having the same predictability as extensions.

But yeah I would try an agent.

The published rules state 800k in bank with proof from foreign source. Jomtien insistence on 800k for 2 months is purely driving agent involvement so immigration get their cut. In fact agents buying into it as they demanded I have 800k in bank for 3 months to apply or pay full amount of 25k to get non-imm O visa (ridiculous 23k if I did have 800k for 3 months)

By what lawful regulation do you think Jomtien is applying this rule?

Edited by Pattaya57

Go to a nearby country and get a tourist visa or non-O and move on with your life, you can't fight City Hall as it were. 

Also from what I've read in the Health and Medicine forum, the local insurance policies aren't up to snuff and that the international ones are the go.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

Also from what I've read in the Health and Medicine forum, the local insurance policies aren't up to snuff and that the international ones are the go.

Pacific Cross I quoted seems to be the favourite of many Expats I know. They are very happy with claims process and the price seems very good

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

The published rules state 800k in bank with proof from foreign source.

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Go to a nearby country and get a tourist visa or non-O and move on with your life, you can't fight City Hall as it were. 

Or to anywhere else in Thailand where a non-O for retirement can be obtained without the need for the 800k to be seasoned for 2 months.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Madgee said:

People like yourself just won't accept what others have experienced so accuse them of guessing ...... Plonker! 

For quite some time, during Covid, it was possible to get 60-day Covid extensions. This did not involve applications for a visa using TM86 or TM87.

As most here seem to appreciate, application for an extension of your permission to stay (using the TM7 form) is not the same as applying for a Non Immigrant visa (using the TM86/TM87 forms).

The official rule when apply for a Non O visa at Immigration on the basis of retirement is that you need 800k baht in the bank on the day of application with proof that the money originated abroad. Notes: (i) if the money has been undisturbed in a Thai bank account for a significant period, most offices will waive the proof that the money originated abroad. (ii) if you are a citizen of a country whose embassy still issues income letters, you can use an income letter showing an income of minimum 65,000 baht per month as an alternative to the money in the bank.

Note that a possible workaround is to apply in Bangkok. If you check into a hotel in Bangkok, and apply for the visa there, Immigration will accept the explanation that you are staying in hotels while looking for a permanent place to live. This would need three trips to Bangkok (with nights in hotel): application for visa; collection of visa and 90-day permission to stay after the under consideration period; and application for the first one-year extension. After that you can establish a residence in Pattaya and continue normally.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry you are having so much consternation over this.  To play by the rules, put over 800K in a bank account today and do a border run to get the 2 months needed before applying for your Non-O VIsa.     Problem solved. 

The 2 months will pass quickly and years from now you will forget all about it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1