Thai senators come under pressure over PM vote

snoop1130

Didn't he challenged the senators to vote against him..I am the government.

I am the PM...he said..arrogant like Prayut..

But it's only fair he get the PM, you can't allow 250 lackeys to over-ride the wishes of ten of millions of voters..

4 hours ago, PeachCH said:

I'm sure that the senators will listen what the falangs have to say here????????

Of course they will, we know and are experts in everything

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, chuang said:

Didn't he challenged the senators to vote against him..I am the government.

I am the PM...he said..arrogant like Prayut..

No he did not. In fact nothing like that. Share a link to back up your post please.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Rural Doctor Society

Descent watchdog group actually helping Thailand.

During COVID-19 they were constantly putting pressure on Anutin to precur MRNA vaccines and stop buying the inferior Chinese vaccines. 

Hopefully all these senators will be forced to fully disclose there financials. Then will see the true reason for there voting bias. 

1 hour ago, marin said:

No he did not. In fact nothing like that. Share a link to back up your post please.

Yes he did if you are following the comments he made post election..I don't keep track of links..do it

yourself ..

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Unfortunately, those in power, who were not voted for by the people, continue to show that they have no respect at all for the voters and the people of Thailand.

They only respect the man who put them in power and who also fills their pockets.

Yes, I think this is a universal situation around the globe.  I feel like workers right now need to unite against their  capitalist oppressors who just want to use their labor and then throw them in a pit when they get old.  This time in Thailand, it's going to be hard to go against the will of the people, but you can see they really really want to, because they have no respect as you say... it's the way of the world, baby.  I think the real solution is just to eat more pizza.  It makes you happy and when you're done with it you just poop it out. 

• Like 1

Whilst you have a Senate controlled and dominated by Army generals you have no real democracy as they will protect the right to be there given the monetary incentives and with no regard for the wishes of the people which is what they are supposed to be ensuring!! 

Where on the planet has a Military led government & often a dictatorship been successful?

The argument by those dinosaurs is, that MFP wants to rewrite article 112.

The MFP proposal, as far as I understood it, would only allow the Palace and its Royal members to file a "lèse-majesté" cases. That (yet to be formulated) revision would have to pass parliament, then presented to HM for His signature and then published in the Royal Gazette. 

So all those hand-picked dinosaurs could no longer hide behind this "lèse-majesté" law, which has been grossly misused in the past by too many people to get rid of political or business opponents. A revision would result in the initial reason this law was created in the first place. So it is quite obvious, why all those misusers - outside the Palace - are against touching this delicate issue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Would be nice but 90% of these 'senators' would probably have never spoken to a farang in their life and would be unaware that quite a few live here, here because married to a Thai lady, to be with their children, 'retired', permanent residents...

You don't think the people at the top of the Thai power structure have ever spoken to a farang? Look at who they are and what their backgrounds are. They can't help but to have spoken, met, and interacted with plenty of farangs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The argument by those dinosaurs is, that MFP wants to rewrite article 112.

The MFP proposal, as far as I understood it, would only allow the Palace and its Royal members to file a "lèse-majesté" cases. That (yet to be formulated) revision would have to pass parliament, then presented to HM for His signature and then published in the Royal Gazette. 

So all those hand-picked dinosaurs could no longer hide behind this "lèse-majesté" law, which has been grossly misused in the past by too many people to get rid of political or business opponents. A revision would result in the initial reason this law was created in the first place. So it is quite obvious, why all those misusers - outside the Palace - are against touching this delicate issue. 

Amendments to the constitution require approval by one third of the Senate.

The military locked in its control of the government in the constitutional change after the coup. No need for any more coup, the Military is in control, there is no such thing as freedom and democracy in Thailand. The Land of Smiles is fast becoming the Land of Tears

19 hours ago, Enoon said:

If the Senate is now determined to neutralise the elected representatives of the people, the Senate must itself be neutralised, by excision from the political process.

There is no political process that can do that.

This is the turning point.

The storm has arrived.

I don't know wether the storm has arrived or not, but you are right about the Senate. There's no way to get rid of it. It would need amending the constitution, and as I said in previous posts, it would require the approval of one third of Senators.

It's also very easy for the Senate to oust a government. They only need to file a complaint with the help of the NACC for not respecting the 20 years strategic plan (which can be anything). The constitutional court and the supreme court will decide.

Nothing can happen without the agreement of the establishment, That's how the constitution was designed.

10 hours ago, fdimike said:

I personally don't think it a very good idea to constantly comment on the politics of the country we are GUESTS in.  We expats/foreigners cannot vote so why not just let things play out in their country as our comments really mean nothing at all?

First of all we are not GUESTS - we chose to come here, and GUESTS do not have to pay for electric, water, rent etc!

And I wouldn't say that our comments mean nothing at all to the current Thai Government, but agree that they mean very little. What they did eventually notice (emphasised by Covid) is that tourism accounted for quite a large chunk of Thailand's GDP i.e. "In 2020, the tourism industry contributed around 65.7 percent to Thailand's GDP, which drastically decreased form the previous year due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic." (Figures from Statista Research Department) 

Consequently, any new Government "may possibly" take this on board, and realise that we foreigners/expats are in actual fact an important part of the Thai economy, and in actual fact we DO have a vote - the option to vote with our feet, and the Covid crisis has shown what a crippling effect the lack of tourism can have on a country such as Thailand, in spite of the notoriously unbelievable statistics spouted out by TAT.

Edited by sambum

2 hours ago, candide said:

Amendments to the constitution require approval by one third of the Senate.

Well, presently they run on the 20th constitution over the last 91 years ........ rewritten ever 4 ½ years by average ???? 

the senators will be gone in about 9 months, then this rule does not apply. Interesting enough there was no comment of the King so far which usually was the case in the past.

When I read all this here it sounds like Pita is stupid, but he is one of the brightest politician in Thailand now. You can all assume he has a Plan A, B and C.

Tonight he was interviewed by CNN, cannot rmbr Prayut ever caught their interest. Pita is bright and starts to talk to world media to carefully explain how rigged the system is. 

The upper elite lost the grounds so they as this headline stipulates come under pressure. I believe that everybody thinks twice this time if they play dirty tricks as the situation has turned somehow against them. There ard more possibilities then ever to get a maybe slow and not such instant change. Patience is a virtue, I assume Pita knows how to play this.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:21 AM, Eric Loh said:

Senators were elected in the past and never participated in the choice of PM. Prayut shredded the constitution when he staged the coup and put in place amendments for appointments and joint house voting for PM. He is the reason why Thailand's politics are now being held hostage by the senators. 

But only for one more year. Prayuth's constitution (the one that is still in effect) capped their shelf-life.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:13 AM, graham66 said:

For the first time ever that I can remember in Thailand, here is someone speaking like a real leader should:  

So you missed the Eton and Oxford-educated Abhisit's brief flight as leader before he flew too close to the sun?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 12:45 PM, paul1804 said:

Whilst you have a Senate controlled and dominated by Army generals you have no real democracy as they will protect the right to be there given the monetary incentives and with no regard for the wishes of the people which is what they are supposed to be ensuring!! 

Where on the planet has a Military led government & often a dictatorship been successful?

South Korea.  Before he was assassinated, General Park Chung Hee laid the foundations for the industrial powerhouse that his country would eventually become. It took Korea a further 20 years or so to shake off their thrall for the military strongman as a statesman but they became the first real 'Asian tiger' mostly under a ex-military watch.

There's hope for Thailand.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

They are doing OK in Russia, China, North Korea, Belarus, Burma and Iran.

Well, apart from Burma, not military-led. And apart from China, no really successful (except about the survival of their regime).

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

South Korea.  Before he was assassinated, General Park Chung Hee laid the foundations for the industrial powerhouse that his country would eventually become. It took Korea a further 20 years or so to shake off their thrall for the military strongman as a statesman but they became the first real 'Asian tiger' mostly under a ex-military watch.

There's hope for Thailand.

Well, not sure Thailand can be compared to SK, nor the Thai generals to SK generals.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So you missed the Eton and Oxford-educated Abhisit's brief flight as leader before he flew too close to the sun?

Abhisit is where he belongs - lost in irrelevancy due to his ineptness and treachery to Thai democracy.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 2:07 PM, candide said:

I don't know wether the storm has arrived or not, but you are right about the Senate. There's no way to get rid of it. It would need amending the constitution, and as I said in previous posts, it would require the approval of one third of Senators.

It's also very easy for the Senate to oust a government. They only need to file a complaint with the help of the NACC for not respecting the 20 years strategic plan (which can be anything). The constitutional court and the supreme court will decide.

Nothing can happen without the agreement of the establishment, That's how the constitution was designed.

If I remember correctly  Prayuth deliberately failed to complete his promise to uphold the Constitution. If so the Constitution Court should be able to wipe out a lot of these problems. If they wanted to.

Thai PM breached constitution by failing to vow to uphold it: ombudsman Aug 27, 2562 Reuters 

5 minutes ago, greeneking said:

If I remember correctly  Prayuth deliberately failed to complete his promise to uphold the Constitution. If so the Constitution Court should be able to wipe out a lot of these problems. If they wanted to.

Thai PM breached constitution by failing to vow to uphold it: ombudsman Aug 27, 2562 Reuters 

That was about his oath, not about the constitution itself.

Anti-establishment activists plan to rally in front of the parliament this Tuesday at 5pm, to put pressure on the Senate not to vote against Move Forward party’s Pita Limjaroenrat as Thailand’s 30th prime minister.

More:
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-anti-establishment-activists-plan-rally-on-tuesday-to-pressure-senate/

• Like 2

Thailand can be more influential than any country in Myanmar as it suffers disaster and conflict under junta rule.

@Pita_MFPcould signal a break with the cosy old relationship of soldier-politicians to set a new direction.

https://twitter.com/TostevinM/status/1660268674811322368

Pita Limjaroenrat

@Pita_MFP
·
My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Myanmar today, especially those who lost their lives, families and homes from the Cyclone Mocha.
I call on the Thai caretaker government and the international community to expedite the delivery of humanitarian assistance to those affected by the Cyclone, with priorities given to those in dire need first. This is in line with my new foreign policy agenda as PM-Elect.
Edited by anchadian

5 minutes ago, greeneking said:

If I did not make it clear enough Prayuth took power illegally and then failed to properly vow to keep to the Constitution hix people drew up. The one that was altered after it was voted for in a very dodgy referendum.

There are grounds to call what rules have been passed to be invalid.