Getting a Work permit with a Non O visa - retirement extention of stay

Hi,

I've been staying on a non O visa with a retirement extention of stay since last year (valid until sept). I've been offered a job in BKK and therefore need a work permit. The company mentioned I would need to change visa type to Non B and then apply for a work permit.

I'm getting confused as I've read that I can actually apply for a work permit with a non O visa (extension is separate to visa as i understand...as i understand my extension type is 'Retirement'.. ) . Is it really the case? or can i just apply for a work permit

I enclose copies of my visa and extention details... i would very much appreciate some help, i'm getting stressed. I'm not sure what I need to do, I tried ringing the immigration office but could not get through.

Can i just apply for WP, or can i change my visa from non O to B (and do i need to leave the country to do so or can it just be changed?)

Also, being a bi-national (UK + Frogland), could I just use my other passport and apply for a non B directly.... ?

I'm after the fastest solution as I need to start work asap

Thanks to anyone who can help, it would be much appreciated.

visa1.png

visa2.png

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is obvious.

The real question is to change form non O retirement extension to a non B

yes exactly, i've tried to find info about that as well but can't find much. On another thread some guy managed to do it -i've tried to contact him to find out how..

There's info on the immigration website, but it relates to changing from e.g. tourist visa to Non B...

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

At start of post I made post that included post from ubonjoe (RIP) 

Read that tread.

Any info in that from uj take to the bank as bullet proof. 

ah yes I actually remember the message saying he passed away some time ago, I did think the name was ringing a bell. RIP

2 minutes ago, tezzaaa said:

ah yes I actually remember the message saying he passed away some time ago, I did think the name was ringing a bell. RIP

No offense but I notice you very little posts.

Heads up. ...if you read past threads then just listen to ubonjoe over all other mugs including me. 

1 hour ago, tezzaaa said:

yes exactly, i've tried to find info about that as well but can't find much. On another thread some guy managed to do it -i've tried to contact him to find out how..

Well, I managed to Change from Non-O Retirement no Non-B and then WP, without leaving Thailand, but that was during COVID, and by way of canceling my Non-O, applying for one of those temporary extensions they were handing out at the time because it was not possible to leave the country, and from that one applying for a Non-B etc.

I am now back to a Non-O Retirement like before, that I will need to cancel again if I need to apply for a WP. But this time, I will consider replacing it with a Non-O Marriage, which presumably can be done in Thailand without requiring to travel to a consulate in a nearby country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a retired you cannot work.

If you are married to a Thai, you can change your extension of stay to be based on marriage and get a work permit.

Otherwise you need to exit Thailand and re-enter on a non-immigrant B-visa.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

As a retired you cannot work.

If you are married to a Thai, you can change your extension of stay to be based on marriage and get a work permit.

Otherwise you need to exit Thailand and re-enter on a non-immigrant B-visa.

Ah! Thank you, yes I'm married to a Thai. So I will do that

11 minutes ago, tezzaaa said:

Ah! Thank you, yes I'm married to a Thai. So I will do that

But I believe you cannot just cancel your RET ext, and apply for a Marriage ext, until the RET ext renewal due date, unless you leave the country without a re-entry permit, which will cancel your RET ext.  I had a similiar case years ago, but things may have changed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

But I believe you cannot just cancel your RET ext, and apply for a Marriage ext, until the RET ext renewal due date, unless you leave the country without a re-entry permit, which will cancel your RET ext.  I had a similiar case years ago, but things may have changed?

I have an appointment at the immigration office on Monday, I will update this thread as it could be useful to people

• Like 1

probably few years ago i was asking the same question in this forum for one of my friends.

he was on non-o retirement & extension. i asked the question if he can work and get a work permit. because my knowledge at that time was no.

then (i cannot remember 100%) the answers were yes he can with some he cannot. and i was so surprised. actually i do remember Ubon said every people can work with any kind of 'O' type immigrant visa.

so to make things clear again.. this means non-o retirement visa owners can work but cannot have work permit? if the answer is no they cannot even work then something changed? because im 100% sure the answer was yes few years ago when i posted.

thanks

You have to ask your department of employment, not immigration.

You should be able to apply for a work permit, and then after this immigration would cancel your retirement extension and give you an extension for working.

But department of employments are known to be difficult. For example my local office refuses to let a tourist visa holder apply for a work permit, even though the first clause on the work permit application form states something along the lines of "for holders of non-immigrant or tourist visas".

1 minute ago, problemfarang said:

so to make things clear again.. this means non-o retirement visa owners can work but cannot have work permit?

They can work if they currently have an extension which allows them to work, an extension for retirement doesn't allow work. But if let's say they initially entered with a non-O for retirement, but do now have an extension for having a Thai spouse, or an extension for working, then they can work. Of course they need a work permit as well.

Somebody with a retirement extension should be able to apply for a work permit, and after having confirmation that the work permit is being processed they should be able to change their extension to one for working and then subsequently be issued the work permit.

• Confused 1

I will ask on Monday. I will also ask them: given I also have a French passport, could I maybe leave the country, and re-enter on a tourist visa with my French passport and apply for a work permit... That might be simpler/quicker!!

15 minutes ago, tezzaaa said:

I will ask on Monday. I will also ask them: given I also have a French passport, could I maybe leave the country, and re-enter on a tourist visa with my French passport and apply for a work permit... That might be simpler/quicker!!

That's the slowest option

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tezzaaa said:

re-enter on a tourist visa with my French passport and apply for a work permit... That might be simpler/quicker!!

No work permit will be issued on a tourist visa. 

You have a legit job, simply switch to a working visa, that the new company should arrange along with the work permit. 

You would have no reason to tie up your funds again. Then when the time comes, re-apply for the retirement visa.

Edited by marin
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, tezzaaa said:

I've been offered a job in BKK and therefore need a work permit.

I thought all reputable companies here are required to help you get your work permit? 

But yes, you need to change Visa first 

Hi, here's what happened in the end. We managed to get thru on the phone to someone at immigration, they said it wasn't recommended at all to apply for Thai wife visa, and it wouldn't be quicker anyway. Told us to come at their office in BKK to cancel the current visa. Got there, front desk lady told us to cancel we needed to show 400k in account .. we don't have that lying around so paused for a minute... Then went back inside and asked to proceed to the officer anyway ... When got to the officer he said : no need to cancel as you just get out the country and don't use it, it will cancel itself.. I showed him the answer from the embassy in Cambodia insisting clearly in having it cancelled first ????... He said 'let me check'. He came back in and said 'oh yes actually have to cancel'. I explained I didn't have 400k in my account, he said "don't need"...Asked him to cancel, he looked at my visa and said: it was issued in Chonburi so you can only cancel it there ???? Went there yesterday, had to write a letter and give copy of passport + passport, 30mn later it was cancelled (they give you 7 days to leave). I shall now be able to apply for non B ..

• Thumbs Up 1