UPS

roger101

I bought one years ago but it finally stooped working. So I bought another but I made a mistake , I bought a Surge Protector instead.

So after a few power cuts a decided to replace it with an UPS. I would like some advice on what to look for as I can't remember from the first one I bought. I am looking for the cheapest but it must be good enough, so what figures am I looking at.

I don't understand what it all means I just want to know the minimum figures I would need . At the moment I have a PC, TV ,monitor , router, printer and DVD player plugged in.

Something like this:- https://shopee.co.th/️ส่งด่วนใน1ชม.ทักแชท️UPS-SKD-Protech-900-900VA-380W(306)-อุปกรณ์สำรองไฟ-Onsite-ทั่วไทย-รับประกัน-2-ปี-i.53549820.2002389994?sp_atk=6c083694-5fd1-42e9-9838-90dc01ce3a20&xptdk=6c083694-5fd1-42e9-9838-90dc01ce3a20

As you are using a PC, it will only last for 20 minutes or so (and less over time as the battery degrades). Enough to ride out the short outages and surges leaving enough time to shutdown.

Did you try replacing the battery in your original UPS?

On 5/18/2023 at 7:09 PM, Yellowtail said:

Surely your printer doesn't draw that much in standby, though, which I'd have thought is all that matters unless you're printing all the time...?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Roger That said:

Surely your printer doesn't draw that much in standby, though, which I'd have thought is all that matters unless you're printing all the time...?

What would be the point of a UPS when it's on standby? And I wanted it as much or more for a voltage-regulator/surge-protector as a UPS. Our power never really goes off. 

In any event, when I plug it in it comes on, so when I plug it into the UPS the UPS overloads and shuts off/won't come on. 

On 5/18/2023 at 7:00 PM, roger101 said:

At the moment I have a PC, TV ,monitor , router, printer and DVD player plugged in.

The idea for having a UPS on a PC is that you can save all your documents and then shut down the PC correctly, without losing any data.

Why do you have the TV, printer and DVD player plugged into the UPS?

Would it be a problem for you if the TV or music just stops?

And about the power consumption of devices: Just now my UPS tells me that PC and monitor use together 81W and that I would be able to use it for 72 minutes more. 

I think the power supply in my PC is rated 700W. And it will use a lot of power if I play 3D games. But it will use a fraction of that looking at the internet.

UPS2.png.9ab067c7b59a16b98d62f164140b5a14.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You get what you pay for with UPSs.  My local-brand just gave out after just under a year; not the battery, the circuitry started wigging out.

But they're cheap, so I guess go through one a year?  Seems wrong.

I like the idea of just getting the car battery and matching it with the inverter/charger as mentioned above but matching the components is beyond my level of expertise.

A very popular thread here would be to go through the steps necessary building your own UPS but using locally-sourced components.

Include necessary warnings, like if you're using standard car batteries then you have a hydrogen problem unless you have good ventilation, etc.

On 5/20/2023 at 8:19 AM, Yellowtail said:

What would be the point of a UPS when it's on standby? And I wanted it as much or more for a voltage-regulator/surge-protector as a UPS. Our power never really goes off. 

In any event, when I plug it in it comes on, so when I plug it into the UPS the UPS overloads and shuts off/won't come on. 

It might be a good idea to unplug your printer if the power goes off.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The idea for having a UPS on a PC is that you can save all your documents and then shut down the PC correctly, without losing any data.

Why do you have the TV, printer and DVD player plugged into the UPS?

Would it be a problem for you if the TV or music just stops?

And about the power consumption of devices: Just now my UPS tells me that PC and monitor use together 81W and that I would be able to use it for 72 minutes more. 

I think the power supply in my PC is rated 700W. And it will use a lot of power if I play 3D games. But it will use a fraction of that looking at the internet.

UPS2.png.9ab067c7b59a16b98d62f164140b5a14.png

Guessing he uses it as surge protection, which isn’t quite correct, but whatever.

Actually, putting a monitor on a UPS is not bad, I need to do it.

I have a nice rack mount UPS that will run a couple of servers for an hour and a bit, but not my desktop and monitor - so when the power goes, I can’t shut down the servers, I need to connect a laptop to the switch. Lol. 

• Haha 1

In India where there are daily short blackouts <10s or up to 2 mins and common hour plus blackouts I have a 150 AH tubular inverter battery connected to an inverter fed by a voltage stabilizer.  It will power my laptops and monitors for days but it's also connected to all of my AV gear and will still give a day's power.  The battery itself weight 59 kg.  Before the stabilizer I had anything up tp 260 V AC and as low as 120 V.

In Chiang Mai I use a Zircon Smooth-i : 1200VA/720W as power is quite stable here and it only powers my gaming desktop.

Sukhavati-substation.jpg.b48c480d621b6ca31cacd7e11913b6ed.jpg