Harley-Davidson rider dies in collision on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road in Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

A 50-year-old man riding a Harley-Davidson motorcycle lost his life in a traffic accident on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road. The motorcyclist was hit by an unidentified vehicle before crashing into the rear of a taxi. The incident is currently under investigation by the Thung Song Hong police station.

On May 18th, officials from the Thung Song Hong police station were notified of the accident on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road, in the Thung Song Hong district of Lak Si, Bangkok. The officials coordinated with the Ruamkatanyu Foundation volunteers to inspect the scene.

Upon arriving at the scene on the outbound side of the road, in the parallel lane, they found a black Harley-Davidson motorcycle that had been struck by an unidentified vehicle.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

The motorcycle lost control after the impact and subsequently hit the back of a pink taxi, reported Daily News.

The motorcyclist, a male approximately 50 years old, suffered severe injuries and later died. The cause of the accident is still under investigation by officials at the Thung Song Hong police station.

We thank the Ruamkatanyu Foundation and Sawasdee FM91 for the images and information.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-05-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

We don't know. He was riding????

Yes, he was riding a motorbike, but driving on the road. That kinda makes him a driver as well. But, by all means, feel free to nitty pick as usual. Seems to be the way to pass the day for you. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 year old man dies racing Harley, crashes into taxi on busy Bangkok street
by Nattapong Westwood

image.jpeg

A 50 year old man tragically died following a high-speed motorcycle accident in which he crashed into a taxi in Bangkok last night. Initial examinations by police and medical personnel revealed that the victim, Chatri, suffered severe head injuries as a result of the crash.

The incident occurred near the Tung Song Hong bus stop on the Vibhavadi-Rangsit outbound road in Bang Khen Market, Laksi district, Bangkok. Police found Chatri’s black Harley-Davidson motorcycle, with the license plate “อบฬ -176 กทม,” heavily damaged around 20 meters from his body. The front wheel had become detached, and the headlight was shattered.

In addition to Chatri’s motorcycle, a pink taxi with the license plate “ทส-976 กทม” was found near the scene of the accident. The taxi, driven by 48 year old Phichit, sustained damage to its rear bumper and tail light. Phichit remained at the scene to provide information to authorities.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/50-year-old-man-dies-racing-harley-crashes-into-taxi-on-busy-london-street

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

A grammar police troll post and replies have been removed.  The OP is not about the term riding, driving or about a driver license.

The OP is:

Harley-Davidson rider dies in collision on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road in Bangkok

With an update to the OP:

50 year old man dies racing Harley, crashes into taxi on busy Bangkok street

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

More details... Helmet? Motorcycle license? experience on bike? People die everyday on the roads throughout the world... there are no accidents... just terrible drivers

99% agree, there is always that pesky 1% (God's will).

1 hour ago, Mad mick said:

RIP  ???? Condolences to family friends ! motor bikes coffins on wheels my old father use to say.. unsure was hit from behind & knocked into the taxi ???? or did he run into back of taxi ? article states crashed into by another what or who  ? or he crashed into back of taxi ???? story lacking lot details what actually did happen  ????, RIP sad regardless 

From the link:

Preliminary investigations indicate that Chatri was riding at high speed when he lost control of his motorcycle and collided with the rear of the pink taxi. The impact caused fatal injuries, and he died shortly afterwards

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I think you forgot one thing. Actually most important. Who was the person that hit him? Did you know the person in question? Are you sure he was a terrible driver?

And we dont know if he was wearing a helmet,

Obviously a tragic story and RIP, but if you look really hard there is a bright side to this story...

One less Harley on Thai roads, assuming its a total loss, and lets hope it is.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Obviously a tragic story and RIP, but if you look really hard there is a bright side to this story...

They are never total loss, time means nothing just have to pay for the parts or use salvage parts to rebuild

3 hours ago, Bassosa said:

I like Harleys except they are totally overpriced.  I'd rather have a good rice-burner with the same engine displacement.  I don't need that "Whomp Whomp Whomp" sound.  Like, as I kid I put playing cards on my bike frame so it would make a "Brrrrrrrrr" sound against the spokes.  It's all perception and had nothing to do with performance.  "Whomp Whomp Whomp" isn't worth the extra money and I don't wear 'colors' so no reason to have one.  All the same - I still like them.

15 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

More details... Helmet? Motorcycle license? experience on bike? People die everyday on the roads throughout the world... there are no accidents... just terrible drivers

why the assumption the motorcyclist was in the wrong?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I think you forgot one thing. Actually most important. Who was the person that hit him? Did you know the person in question? Are you sure he was a terrible driver?

"It was an accident" is the universal excuse for consequences for bad behavior.

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now what would you say if he had a helmet and a license? 

RIP

AND EXPERIENCE... Why have you assumed that I am saying that it was the motorcyclists fault?  I have ridden motorcycles for 62 of my 75 years and (knock on wood) have never been involved in an accident.  I was told early on that "no matter what while on a motorcycle I never have the right of way"...  So maybe the motorcyclist did not have that knowledge and made a wrong decision... or maybe the car driver was distracted and made a wrong decision... it wasn't an "accident"... that's an excuse that was invented by poor decision makers in order to place blame... it was a tragic poor decision by one or both parties while operating their vehicles... thus, one was a terrible driver at the given moment.

17 hours ago, BritScot said:

Not a lot you can do when someone hits you while riding a motorbike. Even bicycles are lethal on Thailand roads.  How many "Round the world" cyclists arrive in Thailand on their last leg only to be killed. RIP. 

Over the years there have probably been dozens of cases of just that.Cyclists meeting their maker on the roads of LOS.A very dangerous undertaking where the biggest vehicle has the right of way.

11 hours ago, it is what it is said:

why the assumption the motorcyclist was in the wrong?

It's more of a presumption than an assumption as it was reported by witnesses that he was racing with a car at the time he lost control of the bike...

"Preliminary investigations indicate that Chatri was riding at high speed when he lost control of his motorcycle and collided with the rear of the pink taxi. The impact caused fatal injuries, and he died shortly afterwards. Reports suggest that Chatri’s Harley-Davidson may have been racing against an unidentified car, with eyewitnesses unable to recall the make, model, or registration number of the vehicle".

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/50-year-old-man-dies-racing-harley-crashes-into-taxi-on-busy-london-street

Edited by Liverpool Lou