what happens if Thailand denied me to entry to the country?

Hi all,

I am trying to find the answer, but it is not easy, and to be honest, I do not believe too much the "agencies" here in Thailand.

I need to leave Thailand soon, because my visa is almost expired and I would like to back after stay one or 2 weeks in another country from  South Asia, maybe Cambodia, Vietnam.. I do not know yet.

My doubts are these:

1) If I back by land and they do not allow me the entry (for whatever reason), I have to back to my home country? , or I can stay in Cambodia, Vietnam etc...? 

2) If I do by air, they can force me to back to my home country?

On the other hand, my passport will expire in 10 months (I can get a new one if it expires in 12 months or less), that's why I also thinking to get a new one in the embassy of my country in Vietnam or Cambodia, this thing could help?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by caracule78

1 hour ago, caracule78 said:

1) If I back by land and they do not allow me the entry (for whatever reason), I have to back to my home country? , or I can stay in Cambodia, Vietnam etc...? 

2) If I do by air, they can force me to back to my home country?

#1. I'd think that this depends on your nationality. You (usually) can get a visa upon arrival in Cambodia. As for Vietnam, it depends on your nationality, and how often you travelled there within a certain timeframe. So, yes, you might be declined staying on in Vietnam without a visa, which, I presume, would mean a flight home. (As for details and post-Covid updates, why not search Google...

#2. The short answer is 'yes', but you might be lucky to be sent back to the place you boarded at, provided that you don't need a visa to enter there.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

If you're rejected at a land border, immigration of the country from which you were attempting to cross into Thailand (e.g. Cambodia) will cancel your exit stamp and you can stay there for the remainder of your reinstated permission to stay. Where you go next is then up to you.

At the airport, it's somewhat less clear. By default, you're returned to the country where you came from, but if you don't have permission to re-enter that country, you might need to fly to your home country instead. You might be able to negotiate flying to another country with the representative of the airline that brought you in (and that becomes responsible for your removal), but from reports, that's hit and miss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

At the airport, it's somewhat less clear. By default, you're returned to the country where you came from, but if you don't have permission to re-enter that country, you might need to fly to your home country instead. You might be able to negotiate flying to another country with the representative of the airline that brought you in (and that becomes responsible for your removal), but from reports, that's hit and miss.

correct.

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

If you're rejected at a land border, immigration of the country from which you were attempting to cross into Thailand (e.g. Cambodia) will cancel your exit stamp and you can stay there for the remainder of your reinstated permission to stay. Where you go next is then up to you.

Had a friend once flew back from Cambodia, his English not so good Immigration asked him ''you have 20k baht?'' he did not have it in cash and I think he misunderstood it as a scam.

He was denied entry (kept in a holding cell) and sent back to Cambodia who refused him entry as he had no exit stamp from Thailand, back to Thailand again held in a cell, charged 1k a night then back to Italy. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:44 AM, Tod Daniels said:

Okay if you fly in and are denied entry as a rule they give you the option to go back to where you just flew in from
Although you need to keep in mind that if you raise a fuss with them they can (at their discretion) send you back to the country of passport origin) <- so if you're denied entry by air while you're free to try to negotiate getting in do not argue with them to the point they decide you're going "home" ????

Where as IF you're denied entry by land they just turn you around and send you back to the country you just stamped out of <- meaning that country cancels your exit stamp and lets you back in
Then you go to an airport to fly in or try to 'negotiate' a way in the following day <- that last one is seen a LOT at the Aranyaprathet / Poipet border where they will deny you entry and as soon as you're stamped back in to Cambodia two guys will approach you and say "we can get you in tomorrow when the border opens for xxx USD" ????
They can indeed get you in AT that border, without any difficulty, but it happens so much, and like clockwork that I think both sides of the border are in on it along with the touts who approach people when they're denied.

Another good bit of info, IF you're denied by air do NOT (as in under NO circumstances) sign that form in thai that they fill in. Don't sign it, you don't get a denial of entry stamp in your passport, just shipped out. Sign it and you DO get that denial stamp in your passport. That's how it works and I know over a dozen people denied entry by air who refused to sign the form and did not get a denial of entry stamp in their passport. I mean it's still IN the immigration computer system but there's NO half page stamp saying you were denied in your passport  

My friend just got sent back, he arrived by air. He signed the form. He asked to go to Cambodia instead but they sent him back to his home country instead.

Deneid entry means that you will be returned to the palce of origin. So if coming from Cambodia they will sent you back to Cambodia. If in detention they will normally send you back to your home country, or a country where you are a resident.

They told him he must buy a ticket to his home country in Scandinavia. They said he spent too much time in Thailand. He's been doing border bounces, and covid extensions for two years. He said he saw several other foreigners being sent back as well. Are they tightening? I'm doing a border bounce to Vietnam in about a week...