Almost 10 Million Foreign Tourists So Far This Year

webfact

image.jpeg

Colourful umbrellas are seen in a restaurant as tourists enjoy a beach in Phuket on January 19, 2023. Photo: Reuters/Jorge Silva and published by CNAby TNR Staff

THE Thai tourism industry is soaring as seen by altogether 9.47 million foreign tourists having come here from the beginning of the year till May 15 with the biggest markets being east and south Asia plus Asean countries, MNG Online said this morning (May 20).

Ms. Trisulee Trisoranakul, deputy spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office, also said that total tourist expenditure during this period reached 391 billion baht.

All relevant agencies were urged to improve their operations to maintain the growth momentum and meet targets, with this especially applying to key markets like China.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/05/20/almost-10-million-foreign-tourists-so-far-this-year/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-05-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

Popped up to Krung Thep the other day, and yep ... way too tourist ????

Silom area & lower Suk & Nana soi 4 was packed, as was the the BTS, non-ish rush hour as were the walkways, T21.   

You probably wouldn't make the 1st or 2nd BTS train @ Asok.   Actually better than pre-covid, when you couldn't even get pass the turnstiles at rush hour.   Faster to actually walk if going only 1 or 2 stations, along with no need to climb up the steps.

No way could I live anywhere close to 'downtown'.  We were only there for convenience, as usually stay on W side of river.  TBH ... couldn't wait to leave.   

• Like 2

I came through Suvarnabhumi a couple of weeks ago. Arrived on an A380 and expected massive queues at passport control.

Turns out the place was totally deserted at midday. There were no arrivals in immigration and I was able to walk right up to a booth and was out in minute. Luggage arrived as I got to the carousel. No stopped at customs and was out in arrivals are at 12:15 which was the supposed landing time. 

I didn't see any of the 10 million other arrivals.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I came through Suvarnabhumi a couple of weeks ago. Arrived on an A380 and expected massive queues at passport control.

Turns out the place was totally deserted at midday. There were no arrivals in immigration and I was able to walk right up to a booth and was out in minute. Luggage arrived as I got to the carousel. No stopped at customs and was out in arrivals are at 12:15 which was the supposed landing time. 

Same in Phuket a couple of weeks ago also a midday flight 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Popped up to Krung Thep the other day, and yep ... way too tourist ????

Silom area & lower Suk & Nana soi 4 was packed, as was the the BTS, non-ish rush hour as were the walkways, T21.   

You probably wouldn't make the 1st or 2nd BTS train @ Asok.   Actually better than pre-covid, when you couldn't even get pass the turnstiles at rush hour.   Faster to actually walk if going only 1 or 2 stations, along with no need to climb up the steps.

No way could I live anywhere close to 'downtown'.  We were only there for convenience, as usually stay on W side of river.  TBH ... couldn't wait to leave.   

If you wish to avoid tourists, don't go the the main tourist areas og Bangkok!

11 hours ago, Xonax said:

If you wish to avoid tourists, don't go the the main tourist areas og Bangkok!

Yes it was by choice, but the infrastructure can hardly keep up with the non-tourist population.   8-14 million people at BKK-metro is simply too many already.

At 1838 hrs on a Tuesday, rush hour should be winding down, not in Krung Thep;

1684387161152.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

14 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Low season is now here. I do not think Thailand will be seeing the same numbers the next 4 to 5 months.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

Low season is now here. I do not think Thailand will be seeing the same numbers the next 4 to 5 months.

Thankfully, and why we enjoy being O&A then, along with no smog, and the rains bring green-ness & clean air to everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

I was in a wine connection last night even the staff said to me it's slowed right down, here in Phuket

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes it was by choice, but the infrastructure can hardly keep up with the non-tourist population.   8-14 million people at BKK-metro is simply too many already.

At 1838 hrs on a Tuesday, rush hour should be winding down, not in Krung Thep;

1684387161152.jpg

traffic looks pretty light in that pic :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I was in a wine connection last night even the staff said to me it's slowed right down, here in Phuket

All the places we have visited so far this month are pretty much empty of anyone except locals. Restaurants around us are now closing from Monday to Thursday and only opening up Fri-Sun.

A waiter, at one of the places we go to, has said he now has a 2nd job during the days as a gardner. Luckily he said it is in a housing development to help make ends meet as he replaced a gentleman who went back to the university.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

All the places we have visited so far this month are pretty much empty of anyone except locals. Restaurants around us are now closing from Monday to Thursday and only opening up Fri-Sun.

A waiter, at one of the places we go to, has said he now has a 2nd job during the days as a gardner. Luckily he said it is in a housing development to help make ends meet as he replaced a gentleman who went back to the university.

Not that bad here in Rawai, but quiet 

9 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Not that bad here in Rawai, but quiet 

I haven't been to Rawai since December when I was blown away by the herds of Russians.   Turned around and never went back.   So is there hope I can have an enjoyable time in Rawai now?  There is a concept called sustainable tourism, that hasn't caught on here, unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

I haven't been to Rawai since December when I was blown away by the herds of Russians.   Turned around and never went back.   So is there hope I can have an enjoyable time in Rawai now?  There is a concept called sustainable tourism, that hasn't caught on here, unfortunately.

I know what you mean I have my family here at the moment and we took the little one to that Rawai water park, It was like little Moscow I never realized there is a whole Russian community down there and a school, Last night we went to wine connection in Nai Harn it was OK, nowhere near as busy as it was a couple of months ago, 

• Like 1

The steady increase in Chinese numbers from a still low level should more than make up for the traditional decline in the Western market at this time of year. Should tick along around 2 million a month as per target.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 11:37 AM, webfact said:

9.47 million foreign tourists having come here from the beginning of the year

300,000 of them were arrested in Pattaya for various offences like: not having their passport on them; shy-willie syndrome preventing a drug test; being in possession of a white face; having a dangerous person on their weapon.