Bringing prescription heart medicine out of Thailand (and into the USA)

Hi,

I am an expat living in Thailand and I am planning a trip home (USA) near the end of the year.  I have a couple of heart medications that I need to bring with me (heart surgery was done in Thailand last year).  The drugs are Entresto and Bisoprolol.  

Is it OK to travel out of Thailand with these medications ( I understand I will need to bring the prescription and doctor's note)?

Also, If anyone knows, is it a problem bringing these drugs into the US?   If anyone has had experience with this and has information to share, would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.  

I have travelled in and out of Thailand many times with similar meds (inc. Bisoprolol) and have never had any problem.  Having said that nobody has ever asked or noticed that I have them, either in carry on or checked baggage.  I have never taken any paperwork with them, as these are over the counter meds I would think not needed at least from Thailands perspective.

As for the US I have once or twice taken them in and out but again never been asked.

• Like 1

I'd actually check the TH & USA import med sites for accurate info.  IF wanting to be legal.

I know many countries allow, with or without prior written approval, but also limit the amount to 2 weeks or 30 day supply.  Don't know, but would think that's the USA policy, as big Pharma would hate to miss out on charging you overpriced USA prices for meds.

Assuming you're going back to stay, I personally would simply take a 1 yr supply with, and hope for the best.   No questions, and if notice, at worse, confiscated.  Would help to have some kind of script with you, and simply play dumb if noticed.  

You did have surgery, bring proof, and it's not like they are a marketable street drug.

Do make sure you don't fly through SG or Middle East, strict drug law countries.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

These drugs are not controlled substances but they do require a prescription in the US.

"Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply.  If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor.  A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the United States. "

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1160?language=en_US

Good idea in any event to have a medical summary with you of your surgery etc in case you need to see a doctor while in the US

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

These drugs are not controlled substances but they do require a prescription in the US.

"Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply.  If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor.  A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the United States. "

Good idea in any event to have a medical summary with you of your surgery etc in case you need to see a doctor while in the US

That's more lacks than than I would have expected, good info.

53 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Hi S

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for your reply (I have gotten advice from you before).  I have found this quote also (Maybe FDA website or CBP).  I have also heard it might be possible to have more sent by mail (if more than 90 days).  I am hoping this is the case, but am wary of FDA and Pharma wanting to sell me overpriced US drugs and I don't even have US insurance or Medicare (medicaid).  I wonder if / and how long they would allow a US citizen to have drugs sent over.  The entresto is REALLY expensive, even here.  Must be astronomical in the states.  

2 hours ago, Tom Vanderlay said:

Hi S

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for your reply (I have gotten advice from you before).  I have found this quote also (Maybe FDA website or CBP).  I have also heard it might be possible to have more sent by mail (if more than 90 days).  I am hoping this is the case, but am wary of FDA and Pharma wanting to sell me overpriced US drugs and I don't even have US insurance or Medicare (medicaid).  I wonder if / and how long they would allow a US citizen to have drugs sent over.  The entresto is REALLY expensive, even here.  Must be astronomical in the states.  

Entresto    USA

60 tabs

690-714 dollars

https://www.goodrx.com/entresto

• Sad 1

Unless you have narcotics I would not worry at all....

Take as much as you need.....

99% chance absolutly nothing will happen...And even  you were questioned about a 99% chance nothing sill would happen as long as you did not have narcotics....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tom Vanderlay said:

Hi S

Hi Sheryl,

I know that many, many Americans get their prescriptions filled at Canadian pharmacies and mailed to them in the US (for obvious reasons) but I ado nto know the legal situation. Since the issue is US law, moving this to the home country forum.

BTW the 90 day thing is just a guidleines, not a hard and fast rule. If you will be in the US ore than 90 days, to my reading you can bring more in with you accordingly. The key issue is that the quantity be consistent with personal use.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Excellent response from Sheryl, especially the point on bringing a treatment summery from tryout Thailand doctor with you. 

One point to add, carry your meds in your carryon luggage and if you can a week’s supply actually on your person.

If your meds go missing during your journey you might face difficulty getting a prompt replacement.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1