Does your travel insurance cover you for scooters over 125cc?

sharksy

It would seem that many ride uninsured and then beg on the interrnet when the brown stuff hits the fan.

It's difficult to get insured up to 125cc and virtually impossible to get cover over 125cc from a mainstream insurer.

And by the way, most scooters have gradually been inflated over the years and are now at 155 or even 160cc - e.g. Nmax, Click, PCX.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

you make sure you have proper valid travel insurance which cover all your activities. Not so difficult, but you need to read the policy

Yes, I have read my policy and it states up to 125cc on my worldwide travel insurance.

I should have stated:  Which UK based travel insurer do you use when renting motorbikes over 125cc?  I do have a full motorcycle license too.

Not so easy to find.

2 hours ago, sharksy said:

many scooters here in Thailand are often slightly more, 135cc seems common

I've never seen 135cc scooters in Thailand. Most low-end scooters available for rent are 125cc (Honda Click, Scoopy etc.). The higher category is 155/160cc (Honda PCX, Yamaha Aerox, NMax etc.).

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I've never seen 135cc scooters in Thailand. Most low-end scooters available for rent are 125cc (Honda Click, Scoopy etc.). The higher category is 155/160cc (Honda PCX, Yamaha Aerox, NMax etc.).

Ok, I remember years ago riding a Suzuki135 I think, times change.  Except for insurance policies.

The point is, the restiction for most Travel Insurance policies is 125cc.  I'm looking for recommendations for companies who allow a larger cc.

Interested (except for residents) what other renters use for insurance, or as suggested above, gofundme when it all goes wrong...

My current policy covers me for up to 200cc as rider or pillion.

Exclusions:
Riding a moped or motorcycle (whether as driver or passenger) in any of the following circumstances:
a. where the engine capacity is more than 200cc;
or
b. without a helmet; or
c. without a valid driver’s licence as required in the country you are in.

With many scooter-style bikes now in excess of 200cc, and even being a pillion on a 200+, some thought/caution required.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sharksy said:

Yes, I have read my policy and it states up to 125cc on my worldwide travel insurance.

I should have stated:  Which UK based travel insurer do you use when renting motorbikes over 125cc?  I do have a full motorcycle license too.

Not so easy to find.

Easier enough ask the people you rent the bigger cc bike from. 

Met a couple who had booked and rented 500X bikes from a bike hire place in CM and they had 1st class insurance.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

There is a company called Cover for you , that are very good. Unlimited engine size if you have a full UK licence , and helmet etc.

Interesting. I've just called the company to confirm and you are absolutely correct, any size cc motorcycle.  Must wear a helmet, obviously - although no cover if you injure someone else.  Many thanks

When young and stupidly naive I never even thought about this...  just as many young people at the time. 

Many of those young people are now older people who pass judgment on forums such as this while conveniently forgetting the mistakes they made and that they were just lucky !!...  I call these types of posters 'sanctimonious hypocrites’ !!!!

Now that I am older, have a family and social media has made me more aware of such risks and issues I am fully insured...  I do not rely on Travel Insurance, I have full cover health insurance, I also have the correct licences to ride or drive in the countries I want to when I visit. 

I also take out extra insurance to cover me for specific sports where necessary (i.e. winter sports) - i.e. with companies such as World Nomads Travel Insurance.... But, I don't think they’d cover me on any motorcycle if I wasn’t insured.

The ‘wiggle room’ would exist if I were passenger on a motorcycle without a helmet etc.

15 hours ago, London Lowf said:

It's difficult to get insured up to 125cc and virtually impossible to get cover over 125cc from a mainstream insurer.

Nope, All Clear Insurance give medical cover up to £15 million provided you have a licence for the bike - no limit on cc.  I have an annual policy with them - unlimited trips in 12 months with a max stay of 45 days each trip.

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When young and stupidly naive I never even thought about this...  just as many young people at the time. 

Many of those young people are now older people who pass judgment on forums such as this while conveniently forgetting the mistakes they made and that they were just lucky !!...  I call these types of posters 'sanctimonious hypocrites’ !!!!

Now that I am older, have a family and social media has made me more aware of such risks and issues I am fully insured...  I do not rely on Travel Insurance, I have full cover health insurance, I also have the correct licences to ride or drive in the countries I want to when I visit. 

I also take out extra insurance to cover me for specific sports where necessary (i.e. winter sports) - i.e. with companies such as World Nomads Travel Insurance.... But, I don't think they’d cover me on any motorcycle if I wasn’t insured.

The ‘wiggle room’ would exist if I were passenger on a motorcycle without a helmet etc.

You would be open to financial risk if you hit + injured someone, albeit unlikely

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean open to financial risk more so than any other person on the road here ????

Explain why ???

In the UK if you damaged another vehicle or injured/killed someone, insurance would cover all costs.  Admittedly, I'm not competely au-fait with the technicals of insurance in Thailand, but in the same scenario, you would be liable rather than the insurance company.

3 hours ago, sharksy said:

In the UK if you damaged another vehicle or injured/killed someone, insurance would cover all costs.  Admittedly, I'm not competely au-fait with the technicals of insurance in Thailand, but in the same scenario, you would be liable rather than the insurance company.

They have First Class insurance in Thailand...  (for cars) - it works the same as insurance in the UK. 

To be held personally accountable there would have to be criminal charges.. i.e. criminal negligence... 

Which is possible, if DUI or ‘deliberately' jumping a red lights etc... 

That said: What does happen here is that is if someone is injured, or killed, the other party pays some from of compensation - this is more of a 'cultural thing’... the social norm, but it is not a legal requirement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They have First Class insurance in Thailand...  (for cars) - it works the same as insurance in the UK. 

1st class seems to be different, if you look at the cover it's limited so if you hit an expensive car it may not have enough cover

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

1st class seems to be different, if you look at the cover it's limited so if you hit an expensive car it may not have enough cover

I'm now scared to walk out of the door....  my own shadow might frighten me !!!

IF I were to ‘hit’ an expensive car, the insurance of the ‘expensive’ car should have cover. 

Thats up to the insurance companies to deal with. 

Alternatively, the owner of the ‘expensive’ car could file a lawsuit and claim ‘criminal damages’...  how far are you willing to push the ‘whataboutery’ ??....  what is your end objective in this discussion ? is it to suggest the only way to financially protect ourselves in Thailand is to never drive ourselves ???

In which case I’d counter that there is a valid ’safety argument’ to counter the financial arguments (i.e I’m safer riding and driving than many Thai’s around me, which is why I prefer to drive and ride myself). 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm now scared to walk out of the door....  my own shadow might frighten me !!!

IF I were to ‘hit’ an expensive car, the insurance of the ‘expensive’ car should have cover. 

Thats up to the insurance companies to deal with. 

Alternatively, the owner of the ‘expensive’ car could file a lawsuit and claim ‘criminal damages’...  how far are you willing to push the ‘whataboutery’ ??....  what is your end objective in this discussion ? is it to suggest the only way to financially protect ourselves in Thailand is to never drive ourselves ???

In which case I’d counter that there is a valid ’safety argument’ to counter the financial arguments (i.e I’m safer riding and driving than many Thai’s around me, which is why I prefer to drive and ride myself). 

"what is your end objective in this discussion ?"

just to let you know your understanding is incorrect. 1st class insurance here isn't as comprehensive as insurance in UK

• Thanks 1

I think the point is, in UK and many other places, Comprehensive Insurance & Third party insurance covers all costs to other caused by yourself.

For peace of mind in Thailand, when renting a motorbike or scooter, I would ideally like to think I have similar cover there too.

But the original gyst of the post is that many, many foreigners on holiday rent scooters, can we assume that most are riding uninsured as most policies limit cc to 125??

I would like to thanks a couple posters above for highlighting a couple of companies who will cover me next time I ride a bike bigger than 125cc.

• 5 weeks later...

is it still the case that in the UK you can ride up to 125cc with only car licence (with CBT) etc.

There is no such provision in Thailand so unless you have full UK motorcycle license, you'd be considered unlicensed for the motorcycle

9 minutes ago, digbeth said:

is it still the case that in the UK you can ride up to 125cc with only car licence (with CBT) etc.

There is no such provision in Thailand so unless you have full UK motorcycle license, you'd be considered unlicensed for the motorcycle

The law in Thailand for motorbikes, Waves and Scooters is not the same as UK why are Falangies so stupid.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:10 AM, scubascuba3 said:

My 1st class on the daily car only covers me up to 10 million baht for damages to other vehicles.

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

we were talking about motorbikes

Just to let you know, the person you qouted was talking about cars.

Maybe you should have not replied also mentioning cars..... we are talking about motorbikes after all !!

image.png.c57b72ce2c3f4b7583df538c4c693e27.png

Edited by Ralf001

19 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Just to let you know, the person you qouted was talking about cars.

Maybe you should have not replied also mentioning cars..... we are talking about motorbikes after all !!

image.png.c57b72ce2c3f4b7583df538c4c693e27.png

believe it or not motorbikes have accidents with cars

• Haha 1