Unidentified Foreign Man Dies After Motorbike Crash in Pattaya

webfact

14 hours ago, aussienam said:

No sympathy then if it is yet another tosser on the roads with some stupid urge to speed and show off.  99.9% of the time there is no urgency, just testosterone fuelled and false belief that their speeding and riding prowess somehow impresses the rest of us to the point we all go home and ferociously mast*****e over these wan***r riders. Same as the idiots who ride around revving the guts out of their bikes with loud pipes = desperate wan***s. 

If I ride fast and die I deserved it.  This idiot deserved it.  Lucky no innocents caught up in the carnage.  

Let's bring it back a bit. A fast front tire deflation or blowout, for example, could easily cause a rider to crash. I've experienced one before at highway speed, and it was terrifying. If you hit a pole, you don't need high speed to kill. Sure, the rider might have been riding too fast, but that curve on Jomtien Road is rather gentle and it wouldn't normally cause a problem at high speed. A mechanical failure of some sort is a possible cause. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Let's bring it back a bit. A fast front tire deflation or blowout, for example, could easily cause a rider to crash

Agree but I reckon the cause I the crash was a lightning strike or perhaps a solar flare. 

I've got a Thai friend who said it was a ghost that caused the accident. 

24 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Agree but I reckon the cause I the crash was a lightning strike or perhaps a solar flare. 

I've got a Thai friend who said it was a ghost that caused the accident. 

There's no need for the sarcasm...

Tyre health is not a big thing in Thailand, so of all the things that can go wrong, tire blowouts, front and back are a very real concern and would cause the swerving that was observed by onlookers. I've had blowouts on both front and back on big motorcycles (much bigger than 300cc) over my riding years. It causes swerving that is hard to control, especially on a front deflation... and it comes as a surprise (shock) that no rider on a public road is prepared for. I'm also considering the good condition of the road, and the gentle curve, which would, on its own, not be an obvious cause of a crash of this nature, even at high speed.  

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

There's no need for the sarcasm...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 

I see so many members speculating, comments about how the accident happened, it amuses me, I had to add my 'perhaps theory' ????

Have a nice day ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

I am a slow driver and yet I almost ran off the road the first time I was driving S on this road. I was wondering how many accidents will happen here.

Last year a young Chinese tourist on a big bike died here.

Since then speed limit and zig-zag signs were painted on the road, but still  inadequate road signs to warn the drivers of the curve.

20 hours ago, aussienam said:

No sympathy then if it is yet another tosser on the roads with some stupid urge to speed and show off.  99.9% of the time there is no urgency, just testosterone fuelled and false belief that their speeding and riding prowess somehow impresses the rest of us to the point we all go home and ferociously mast*****e over these wan***r riders. Same as the idiots who ride around revving the guts out of their bikes with loud pipes = desperate wan***s. 

If I ride fast and die I deserved it.  This idiot deserved it.  Lucky no innocents caught up in the carnage.  

You may be right. Seen so many reckless riders. Must be an ego thing.

On 5/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, aussienam said:

Witnesses told the Pattaya News that the motorbike rider was driving at high speed and swaying badly before losing control at a curve and crashing into the footpath.

It looks like another obvious case of a new rider not knowing what counter steering is 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thailand J said:

I am a slow driver and yet I almost ran off the road the first time I was driving S on this road. I was wondering how many accidents will happen here.

Last year a young Chinese tourist on a big bike died here.

Since then speed limit and zig-zag signs were painted on the road, but still  inadequate road signs to warn the drivers of the curve.

They dont even know how to ride. But they think they do. These accidents always happen in curves and they don't know how to counter steer and lean

19 minutes ago, bignok said:

Omg guy was hopeless

It's not uncommon for inexperienced, riders to perform in this manner. 

I've been riding motorbikes since the age of 10. I find it strange that people with no or very little experience ride motorbikes in Thailand. 

I've got mates in their 70's that ride here in Thailand, they have been riding for decades and ride well. 

Riding on Thai roads safety is not about age.

It's the Incompetent, the unskilled that will come unstuck sooner or later. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 12:13 PM, brianthainess said:

Correct but these look like 200 meters long.

And no zebra crossing in sight,  can u imagine a zebra crossing on a dual carriage way   as per the picture

On 5/22/2023 at 3:14 PM, JayClay said:

That's quite a lot of assumptions you're making there.

My guess is that most people who speed do it because they enjoy the sensation of riding fast.

That's not to justify the practice, just to give an alternative theory on why it happens.

My guess is that most people who speed do it because they enjoy the sensation of riding fast"

An assumption too!!  ????

On 5/22/2023 at 12:14 PM, JayClay said:

That's quite a lot of assumptions you're making there.

It's an AN forum, that's all I read from most members......... Assumptions , Perhaps , Maybe's and Hypothesis . 

SPECULATIONS 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

How many ?

I never did a count but if you ever stop at a service station and get out to walk to the restroom or convenience store look around for yourself.

Maybe if you use a big parking lot like at a Makro, Big C, or mall as well as other store areas then perhaps look for yourself. 

Maybe walking around tourist areas have a look at some of the scooters and tuk-tuks to see for yourself.

If you do look and take notice you might be surprised. I would guess the percentage ranks up there with the same amount of scooters you see at night time with a burnt out taillight. 

On 5/23/2023 at 4:03 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I see so many members speculating, comments about how the accident happened, it amuses me, I had to add my 'perhaps theory' ????

Have a nice day ????

That's what public forums are for. People discuss and speculate on the causes of assorted happenings. Are you suggesting that no one should should discuss anything as it's just speculation?  

Of course everything said here is speculation because we have limited facts to go on. I proposed another possible cause to create some balance to the "he was a young idiot with no experience and speeding" camp. 

Edited by JensenZ

On 5/23/2023 at 1:14 PM, Harsh Jones said:

It looks like another obvious case of a new rider not knowing what counter steering is 

What a terrifying video, but a lifesaver for anyone who rides and doesn't know this. 

It does sound like the victim on 2nd road steered himself to death on the bend. 

And of course this boring old fart is going to include the three other factors, speed, speed, and speed, even if it was mechanical, the death blow is speed. RIP unknown rider.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I never did a count but if you ever stop at a service station and get out to walk to the restroom or convenience store look around for yourself.

Maybe if you use a big parking lot like at a Makro, Big C, or mall as well as other store areas then perhaps look for yourself. 

Maybe walking around tourist areas have a look at some of the scooters and tuk-tuks to see for yourself.

If you do look and take notice you might be surprised. I would guess the percentage ranks up there with the same amount of scooters you see at night time with a burnt out taillight. 

ok so your bald tyre quip was based upon personal observance of a miniscule percentage of vehicles in Thailand.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:
On 5/23/2023 at 4:03 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Have a nice day ????

That's what public forums are for.

Maybe for dear old Aunty Doris and Grandma Gertrude but not me. 

Public forums are for obtaining knowledge, getting information about this and that. 

I've got better things to do with my time, no time for fictional reading. 

I've got a life mate 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Maybe for dear old Aunty Doris and Grandma Gertrude but not me. 

Public forums are for obtaining knowledge, getting information about this and that. 

I've got better things to do with my time, no time for fictional reading. 

I've got a life mate 

You expected knowledge from a thread about a motorcycle death in Pattaya? Seriously? I would suggest you work a little bit harder on getting that life you think you have, mate. A good start would be avoiding threads like these and wasting your time baiting other members.

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You expected knowledge from a thread about a motorcycle death in Pattaya? Seriously? I would suggest you work a little bit harder on getting that life you think you have, mate. A good start would be avoiding threads like these and wasting your time baiting other members.

What are you talking about, I learnt a few things from this thread, a dangerous road to avoid etc, I've also had a few laughs reading the many Aunty Audrey and Nana Beryl comments regarding how the accident occurred.

I reckon some of the members here think they are inspector Clouseau.

Stop with the hostility and keep up the entertainment ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

13 hours ago, aussienam said:

My guess is that most people who speed do it because they enjoy the sensation of riding fast"

An assumption too!!  ????

I thought it was more about impatience and lack of consideration for others. I did get a buzz on my motorcycle when I passed 70, and left all the noise behind.... that was just being young though!