Public advised to protect themselves as COVID-19 cases surge

webfact

22 hours ago, sungod said:

Thanks for the article, as I say I dont know anyone.

Just like many people originally said they knew of no one who died from Covid.  However, now that time has passed many people do know one or more that have died from Covid. I myself lost four prior co-workers, as well as a teacher who taught my kids.  As for Long Covid as I stated in an earlier post my niece is suffering from long covid symptoms.  You do tend to diminish and deflect in your posts regarding posted scientific studies and links.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just like many people originally said they knew of no one who died from Covid.  However, now that time has passed many people do know one or more that have died from Covid. I myself lost four prior co-workers, as well as a teacher who taught my kids.  As for Long Covid as I stated in an earlier post my niece is suffering from long covid symptoms.  You do tend to diminish and deflect in your posts regarding posted scientific studies and links.

Who is deflecting science? Stop twisting my words. I am merely stating the fact that I know lots of people who have all had COVID, but none of them is claiming to be suffering from long COVID. I apologies if that's not what you want to hear.

Or would it make you feel better if I said I only know 2 people in the world and they are both suffering from Long COVID, as thats what you want to hear?

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As for the added risks of incurring repeated COVID infections, emerging research suggests successive COVID infections may also increase the risks of bad outcomes -- something to be avoided for sure.

Many repeat infections are mild, but some studies suggest people who have been infected with COVID more than once are at a greater risk of severe disease or long COVID

The first study of health risks from repeat infections was published last November. A team of researchers led by Ziyad Al-Aly, a clinical epidemiologist at Washington University, in St. Louis, and his colleagues concluded that reinfected people are twice as likely to die and three times as likely to be hospitalized with COVID than those infected only once, regardless of their vaccination status."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-repeat-covid-infections-increase-the-risk-of-severe-disease-or-long-covid/

Interesting, the other article you led us to seems to contradict this

'Dr Yong added that the term novid is real but people who have never been infected will slowly decrease. It is also possible to get infected with Covid two to three times but symptoms generally decrease with repeated infection.'

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Thanks for the article, as I say I dont know anyone.

I just wanted to help you not fall under the misconception that long covid doesn't exist or isn't a problem affecting many people including the young and healthy and even those with few or no symptoms. In fact I read that younger people are more likely to suffer long covid.

14 minutes ago, sungod said:

Interesting, the other article you led us to seems to contradict this

'Dr Yong added that the term novid is real but people who have never been infected will slowly decrease. It is also possible to get infected with Covid two to three times but symptoms generally decrease with repeated infection.'

He's not talking about long covid here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

He's not talking about long covid here.

But the article does say you are more likely to die or be hospitalized with repeat infection, that was my point.

The other article said symptoms generally decrease with repeated infection. It contradicts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sure glad to hear from the various and regular COVID denying posters here that COVID is done and gone in the world and in Thailand.

Now, if they could only convince Siriraj Hospital and its overflowing numbers of critical condition COVID patients of the same.

Siriraj Says All Beds For Critical Covid Patients Full

https://aseannow.com/topic/1296093-siriraj-says-all-beds-for-critical-covid-patients-full/

Actually not Siriraj hospital, it's SiPH the private side. Not sure how many beds they have but certainly no where near the number of the public side. It does need to be put in perspective IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

A misinformation laden troll post filled with insults has been removed.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

Is this still the "pandemic of the unvaccinated", or has that slogan been consigned to the trash-heap of history already?

the relative number of unvaccinateds with covid infections is still high.......

but the absolute number of unvaccinateds has been declining.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sungod said:

But the article does say you are more likely to die or be hospitalized with repeat infection, that was my point.

The other article said symptoms generally decrease with repeated infection. It contradicts.

The wife started her 3rd infection 2 days ago. First one had the most symptoms. Second had no symptoms. Third had a mild sore throat/headache/stuffy nose for one day. Time between first and second was 5 months. Time between second and third was 9 months.

Edited by AndyFoxy

19 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I'm vaxxed with:

Sinocrap

Astra Zeneca

Moderna

second booster free in NZ was 

Pfizer

I had Covid in December, mild, the worst of it was fatigue and "eating cardboard flavoured food" for about 5 days.

I wore my mask obediently.

Now, I'm done. 

If they enforce masks again, I'll do it very grudgingly. 

I've always washed my hands and avoided touching my face out and about for decades. 

But they can take their peer pressure mask culture and shove it. 

Well.....No flies on you then!! With all those boosters Covid shouldn't show up as more than a pimple on your bum....

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

the relative number of unvaccinateds with covid infections is still high.......

but the absolute number of unvaccinateds has been declining.

Thanks for that well researched and data-driven answer.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:44 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sure glad to hear from the various and regular COVID denying posters here that COVID is done and gone in the world and in Thailand.

Now, if they could only convince Siriraj Hospital and its overflowing numbers of critical condition COVID patients of the same.

Siriraj Says All Beds For Critical Covid Patients Full

https://aseannow.com/topic/1296093-siriraj-says-all-beds-for-critical-covid-patients-full/

No one ever denied covid....That one hospital says all beds are full means what?

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

At a guess I'd say it means that there is more covid around, just like the news claims.

Yes but it does not mean panic...Also it is surprising. Before all the time someone from the staff got covid or had the child/mother/etc at home with covid. Now since weeks. No one has anything....But sometimes someone is coughing, maybe it is light cases and just noone is testing anymore?? 

A reported off topic post about covid deniers and multiple replies have been removed as well as a personal attack.

The OP is not about covid deniers but is about:

Public advised to protect themselves as COVID-19 cases surge

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 8:49 PM, Eleftheros said:

Is this still the "pandemic of the unvaccinated", or has that slogan been consigned to the trash-heap of history already?

No, at least according to a government news report out today, talking about recent COVID deaths, they mostly remain those who are unvaccinated or under-vaccinated (wherein they appear to be saying un-boosted).

Last paragraph of the following government news report dated today, via Google Translate:

"Due to the statistics of COVID patients who died in the past week, more than 90% are those who have not been vaccinated or have not completed the vaccine."

https://nbt2hd.prd.go.th/th/content/category/detail/id/2153/iid/185098

And talking about the breakdown of current COVID hospitalizations by type of symptoms, again via Google Translate of the second to last paragraph:

--240 asymptomatic, representing 9.7%,

--687 mild symptoms, representing 27.8%,

--moderate symptom group, 1,146 cases,

representing 46.30%,

--402 heavy cases, 16.2%,

--278 intubation, 11.2%

Even though it's variants of Omicron, there are still nearly 700 people currently hospitalized with COVID in Thailand who are in serious condition and/or require intubation in order to breathe.

• Thanks 1

The BKK Post just posted an article online saying new COVID deaths in the most recent week (May 21-27) declined to 42 compared to the year-high number of 64 in the previous week.

Curiously, though, the Post's current online report is entirely silent on the latest weekly figures for new COVID hospitalizations, which also reached a year high number of 2,632 two weeks ago (May 14-20).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No, at least according to a government news report out today, talking about recent COVID deaths, they mostly remain those who are unvaccinated or under-vaccinated (wherein they appear to be saying un-boosted).

Last paragraph of the following government news report dated today, via Google Translate:

"Due to the statistics of COVID patients who died in the past week, more than 90% are those who have not been vaccinated or have not completed the vaccine."

https://nbt2hd.prd.go.th/th/content/category/detail/id/2153/iid/185098

And talking about the breakdown of current COVID hospitalizations by type of symptoms, again via Google Translate of the second to last paragraph:

--240 asymptomatic, representing 9.7%,

--687 mild symptoms, representing 27.8%,

--moderate symptom group, 1,146 cases,

representing 46.30%,

--402 heavy cases, 16.2%,

--278 intubation, 11.2%

Even though it's variants of Omicron, there are still nearly 700 people currently hospitalized with COVID in Thailand who are in serious condition and/or require intubation in order to breathe.

Do we know the age, BMI and any health conditions of these people? If not, the above is not relevant and one would have to very biased to draw the conclusion that unvaccinated = hospitalization.

Another very dubious notion is the "not completely vaccinated" one. What is the proportion of those who have had zero jabs, one jab, two jabs…?

As always, logic, objectivity and reason are discarded to push vaccines at all costs… it's just ridiculous.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The BKK Post just posted an article online saying new COVID deaths in the most recent week (May 21-27) declined to 42 compared to the year-high number of 64 in the previous week.

Curiously, though, the Post's current online report is entirely silent on the latest weekly figures for new COVID hospitalizations, which also reached a year high number of 2,632 two weeks ago (May 14-20).

Having read the same report - do you see how your posting on hospital beds overflowing can be considered alarmist?

From that report: 

"He said there was no shortage of hospital beds for Covid-19 inpatients. The bed occupancy rate for Covid-19 patients nationwide was 22%. Any reported shortage may have been at hospitals that had reduced the number of beds reserved for Covid-19 cases, Dr Opas said. " 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Having read the same report - do you see how your posting on hospital beds overflowing can be considered alarmist?

From that report: 

"He said there was no shortage of hospital beds for Covid-19 inpatients. The bed occupancy rate for Covid-19 patients nationwide was 22%. Any reported shortage may have been at hospitals that had reduced the number of beds reserved for Covid-19 cases, Dr Opas said. " 

My earlier comments were simply in response to the news thread here on the topic of Siriraj hospital turning away COVID cases -- though it was later clarified that that was the smaller private part of Siriraj and not the larger public wing of the hospital.

But regardless, the MoPH has often played games with statistics when it comes to hospital bed utilization for COVID...

From the above report, is it clear that the utilization percentage they're citing is of COVID hospitalizations vs. all available hospital beds, OR, COVID hospitalizations vs all COVID-suitable hospital beds? It's not clear to me which ratio they're using.

At least in the past, the public health system here didn't put contagious COVID cases in general wards along with routine patients, but instead, put them in special rooms with special equipment and often negative pressure to avoid spreading the virus, a room type of which the available numbers are much smaller. Whether they're still doing that now, I haven't seen any reports lately.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My earlier comments were simply in response to the news thread here on the topic of Siriraj hospital turning away COVID cases -- though it was later clarified that that was the smaller private part of Siriraj and not the larger public wing of the hospital.

Actually it was always reported that it was SiPH (private) as opposed to the public side.

Edited by Pink Mist
Flame removed