Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes sentenced to 18 years in prison for plot to keep Trump in power

Scott

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Even if he loses he will claim victory and his cult fans are much better prepared than last time to stage a successful coup this time. Of course Trump as he always does will incite violence if he loses. It's very foolish to act like the threat isn't real. 

On what basis are they better prepared? Trump needs a few new white supremacists groups to step up to the plate for him. I'd say membership is down for the proud boys and oath keepers.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

On what basis are they better prepared? Trump needs a few new white supremacists groups to step up to the plate for him. I'd say membership is down for the proud boys and oath keepers.

That's easy to answer. More control over more state legislators where they can play games with electors. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Should have gotten 25 yrs, but 18 will do.  It'll give him some time to realize what a loser in life he's been. 

At his age, it's virtually a life sentence. He must serve at least 85% of those 18 years, and seeing as it's Friday afternoon and I'm tired, I'll let wiser heads do that math.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pegman said:

Way too early for Biden to declare himself a lame duck.  American politics would become even more of a 3 ring circus than it already is. LBJ didn't signal he wasn't running again until March 31, 1968. Should Biden use the same timeline that's more than 10 months from now

From last month, he's already announced:
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/25/1145679856/biden-president-announcement-2024-running-reelection#:~:text=After months of hinting at,And we still are.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Are you imagining that these morons have been sentenced to many years imprisonment and that Trump had nothing to do with it despite being investigated to years over it and having been warned to expect an indictment? There's ample evidence to show that his people had their fingers all over this. Trump won't be re-elected or even nominated. Why do you think so many people threw their hat in the ring for the GOP nomination this week?

The former guy is STILL the leading Republican contender by double digits. Don't kid yourself, we're going to see the same election all over again, and most likely the same foul tactics taken to try and overturn the election. Thankfully, we're on to all their old tricks and they're not bright enough to come up with any new tricks.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 2009 said:

All I am hearing is hyperbole from anyone who tried to answer my question.

They should just tell the truth: I am a democrat so I don't want Trump to be president again.

Is the "truth" what you want to hear? It sounds like you think there is something remotely NORMAL about Trump. That Trump vs. Biden or Trump vs. another democrat is just another partisan contest between a republican and a democrat.

Nothing could be further from the truth!

Again, informed people get that. It's not only informed democrats but most informed traditional conservative (non maga cult) republicans as well.

Hyperbole you say?

We Don’t Have to Speculate About Trump’s Next Term - The Atlantic

Trump’s Second Term Would Look Like This

The former president and his allies have explained their plans quite clearly.

By Jonathan Rauch

Mark Felix / AFP / Getty

AUGUST 29, 2022

Ever since the U.S. Senate failed to convict Donald Trump for his role in the January 6 insurrection and disqualify him from running for president again, a lot of people, myself included, have been warning that a second Trump term could bring about the extinction of American democracy. Essential features of the system, including the rule of law, honest vote tallies, and orderly succession, would be at risk.

Today, however, we can do more than just speculate about how a second Trump term would unfold, because the MAGA movement has been telegraphing its plans in some detail. In a host of ways—including the overt embrace of illiberal foreign leaders; the ruthless behavior of Republican elected officials since the 2020 election; Trump allies’ elaborate scheming, as uncovered by the House’s January 6 committee, to prevent the peaceful transition of power; and Trump’s own actions in the waning weeks of his presidency and now as ex-president—the former president and his allies have laid out their model and their methods.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The former guy is STILL the leading Republican contender by double digits. Don't kid yourself, we're going to see the same election all over again, and most likely the same foul tactics taken to try and overturn the election. Thankfully, we're on to all their old tricks and they're not bright enough to come up with any new tricks.

It won't be the same election over again. Trump was previously the incumbent and many fools and MAGA morons saw they had much to gain by jumping on the gravy train. Now he's not and he won't get those again, most are in jail or losing their law license. The courts have already struck down the lies and sanctioned his "best" lawyers. The leaders of his junk militia are in jail. Trump is toxic now. He may get the GOP nomination but I think indictments will change that scenario quickly. The GOP won't have time to recover and put up an acceptable alternative in time for the election. DeSantis is the same spoiled goods for the independents.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The big difference this next time is that Trump won't be the incumbent President.  He just can't call up state legislators or Governors and demand anything.  Heck, he can't even demand to go on Fox News.  And he won't have the power of the Presidency to try any behind-the-scenes maneuvering with DOJ, DHS, DOD,....the dude will be toothless.  And these far right militia groups.....5555.  Compared to the US gov, these people are a joke.   

I don't agree. As republican nominee he would be the leader of the maga fascist party. Similarly positioned state politicians WOULD follow him. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't agree. As republican nominee he would be the leader of the maga fascist party. Similarly positioned state politicians WOULD follow him. 

You'd have a point if the GOP was in control of PA, Michigan, Arizona, Wisconsin....but they're not.  And GA won't play ball with Trump.  Relax man, it's all good.

22 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It won't be the same election over again. Trump was previously the incumbent and many fools and MAGA morons saw they had much to gain by jumping on the gravy train. Now he's not and he won't get those again, most are in jail or losing their law license. The courts have already struck down the lies and sanctioned his "best" lawyers. The leaders of his junk militia are in jail. Trump is toxic now. He may get the GOP nomination but I think indictments will change that scenario quickly. The GOP won't have time to recover and put up an acceptable alternative in time for the election. DeSantis is the same spoiled goods for the independents.

Eventually ANY comparison of like objects or situations will be dissimilar. Take two coins, minted in the same year, same exact value, mirror images - they are still not exactly the same. You can always show how things are not the same if you dig deep enough.

My point is the election will be President Biden  vs the former guy all over again. And I WOULD bet my bottom dollar we'll see the same outcome again.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Dont worru Elmer, im sure King Baby is starting a fundraiser for you at this very minute..

let me be the first to offer......"thoughts n prayers".....sleep well traitor......sleep with that one eye open..the one you didnt shoot out with your own gun dummy....

Something tells me you're not REALLY gonna waste time on thoughts n prayers for Elmer.

BTW, apparently he HATES that name!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not for anyone who has been paying attention to what that horrible man has done and said. I get it. You don't get it. Dictator types historically get MUCH WORSE if they lose power and regain. Trump back in power means the end of American democracy. That is not an extreme outlier interpretation in the slightest.

Say if Trump won the next election by getting the most votes and he became POTUS again , would that be democracy or not ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

No, the vote might be democratic but a democratic country pursues one vote per person, makes sure everyone ha a chance to vote and does not limit their ability to do so. The process of gerrymandering and preventing poor people from voting never stops with the republicans. They simply can't win fair elections.

So if the Republicans win the election  it will be unfair and undemocratic , but if the Democrats win, then the elections would have been fair and democratic ?

This is regarding the next election 

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So if the Republicans win the election  it will be unfair and undemocratic , but if the Democrats win, then the elections would have been fair and democratic ?

This is regarding the next election 

If he wins he wins but it would be nice for you to acknowledge given an objective look at the facts that, based on his inability to accept democratic outcomes so far,  there is a huge threat of the same and worse in a second term. That that would be a serious concern. Maybe you have acknowledged this. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 2