Oysters (fresh unopened in shell)

roger101

I live in Pattaya and want to buy some fresh oysters. I know I can go to my local markets and buy tubs of oysters (100 Baht) and a few restaurants which sell them on a half shell.

Back in the UK I used to buy fresh water oysters (3 pound a dozen, long time ago). I wasn't very good at shucking them so I used to freeze them. The one good thing about freezing them is that when they defrost they open up automatically and they feel and taste exactly the same as a fresh one.

There are plenty of markets in Pattaya that I have never been to and I wondered if anyone knew one that sold oysters in their shell.

If anyone thinks that this would be better in Pattaya forum feel free to move it. Thank you.

There is a fresh seafood market in Naklua, it’s where the baht buses stop to make the return journey back into Pattaya 

It’s quiet a distance from the roundabout 2nd road / beach road, maybe some other member recalls the name

Edited by MJCM

As I said it was a long time ago. I had a holiday chalet in West Wales and the Oyster Farm was on the river leading to Milford Haven. It all closed down when they had that massive oil split at Milford Haven.

It wasn't the oil spill that closed it down it was the councils bureaucracy afterwards. The council insisted that it's Health Inspector had to come out and check every order, which normally meant a delay in getting the oysters to the London hotels that ordered them.

We turned up one day to find the owner decorating he said it was too much hassle now and was going into holiday lets instead.

Thanks for the replies I will go to Naklua tomorrow.

Hello

Makro sells oysters but not on regular basis.. French restaurant L auberge on 3rd road in Rena House building sells french oysters..fresh and tasty about 300 bahts for 6 and 600 for 12.. when you eat them there

He also sells them as take away..but I don t know if there is a minimum quantity in this case ..

Have a nice evening 

Edited by LOG54

• 2 months later...

I have been buying oysters now from Naklua market. I dozen today 480 Baht.. I just wish there was somewhere closer to Thepprasit Road. Mind you I haven't tried Rattanakorn market. Anybody know if they sell what I'm looking for.

And before I get posts saying why don't I go and look, asking on here means that lots of other people (including me) wont waste a trip to the market if the answer is no but will encourage people to go if the answer is yes. I thought that the whole point of Thai Visa (I prefer the old name) is to make life easier for expats and others.

11 hours ago, roger101 said:

I have been buying oysters now from Naklua market. I dozen today 480 Baht.. I just wish there was somewhere closer to Thepprasit Road. Mind you I haven't tried Rattanakorn market. Anybody know if they sell what I'm looking for.

Rattanakorn market usually has seafood/oysters.

• Thanks 1