Rented room will be locked by landlord

d4dang

3 hours ago, itsari said:

If I have been here 10 years or 10 days the law on eviction of tenants is a fact.

If you know of people breaking the law when evicting tenants that does not make it right  however long you have been in Thailand.

12 years and have seen lock changes quite regularly especially with foreign tenants.  No one has evicted his friend neighbor significant other.  They are just stopping him form getting his stuff and access to a room he has not paid for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

12 years and have seen lock changes quite regularly especially with foreign tenants.  No one has evicted his friend neighbor significant other.  They are just stopping him form getting his stuff and access to a room he has not paid for.

The landlord in question that you mention  is not following Thai law .

Take care Sir

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, i am not. Know to many police, army and rich people.

Then you admit you are part of the problem in Thailand: the law does not apply to rich or well connected people.  I doubt you are anyway.

16 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Please tell me it wasn't in cash. Did you get a receipt? 

Why does a receipt matter if they are being evicted? The landlord sees it as non payment.

The police would see it as a civil dispute between tenant and landlord and still remove them. Receipts would need to be reviewed by a court much later on.

A lease would not matter much either if the landlord was determined to get them out. It could help in court later on for fines or punishment if it ever came to that. In reality that rarely happens as it costs more to the tenant then just moving.

In the end, it’s more about being able to trust who you are dealing with. It always comes down to trust and iron clad contracts are very rare, there is always some way to wiggle out.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 12:23 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

You don't have to be long in Thailand to realize that there is a huge difference about what is legal and what happens all the time.

I don't know how legal the behavior of your landlord is. Maybe it is legal. But even if it is not so legal, what are you going to do? Tell the police? Hire a lawyer without having money?

What you experience is real life, and it doesn't really matter if it is legal or not or if you like it.

I hope you sort it out somehow. It won't be easy.

Please keep in mind that many landlords (incl. me) have had many errant tenants, therefore they apply the get tough approach.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 9:13 AM, itsari said:

The landlord has to apply for an eviction notice from a judge after giving the 7 days notice to the tenant .

The procedure can take many months .

Section 560. In case of non-payment of rent, the letter may terminate the contract. But, if the rent is payable at monthly or longer intervals, the letter must first notify the hirer that payment is required within a period not less than fifteen days.

after being late with rent about two months I paid one month and promised to pay in full in two weeks. I then found a note on my door saying I would be locked out in 7 days. Is this legal? When I paid the one month there seemed to be no problem.

You are probably lucky that the landlord has not cancelled your contract and required removal of your contents that same day... (along with forfeit of security deposit).   Rental contracts here usually have things like the landlord has the right to cancel the contract if you are late by 15 days (and you lose the deposit).  

This is not the country to expect you can breach your contract and the government will come to your rescue.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:13 AM, Mises said:

You are correct and all those stating you are not should do some basic research.  They could start here:

https://www.opera.co.th/post/renting-your-real-estate-in-thailand-how-to-evict-a-bad-tenant

"Has your lease agreement come to an end, your tenant is no longer paying the rent or causing damage to your property?

The first step in order for your tenant to leave your apartment or villa will be to send a formal notice drafted by your lawyer stating explicitly that the tenant has a period of 7 days to leave the premises before launching an eviction procedure before the judge.
If your tenant does not leave the premises, you will have to present your request for expulsion and damages in court. The procedure can take between 3 and 6 months. Important: if the Thai law is not very conciliatory with the tenants not paying the rent, some actions are prohibited on your part: - You cannot enter the property using duplicate keys without the consent of the tenant - You cannot empty the property of the tenant’s personal belongings without permission from the judge."

Re-reading the OP, the landlord is following this law to the letter: 7-day notice on the door, he is not entering the premises or evicting the OP but locking his stuff 'in'.

On 5/27/2023 at 12:27 AM, d4dang said:

actually it is my next door neighbor....looks like he has to leave...legal or not

Good job.. Where should a landlord not receive his required rent on time.. It's cheap enough.. 

To all landlords, put it in writing. I saw contracts clearly stipulating, that a delay of more than 30 calendar (note, not week- but calendar)  days in rent payment would allow the landlord to extradite the tenant. 
The property would be emptied, the belongings kept for another 30 days after which the left behinds would be considered forfeited. 
The legal reason behind this is that the security deposit alone is not sufficient to cover eventual costs left behind by a tenant being in arrear. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 9:42 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Goodbye, enough of your rambling.

Now that you have had time to calm down, it would be a great opportunity for you to look back through the thread and use it as a great educational opportunity.