Truck flips in Chon Buri, crushes car and kills young woman

webfact

image.jpeg

A young woman was tragically killed in a Chon Buri motorway accident involving an 18-wheeler truck carrying a container and multiple cars. Police are investigating the causes of the accident and will examine CCTV footage for further information.

The 18-wheeler Isuzu truck carrying a container reportedly flipped over and crushed a Honda Civic. The driver of the Civic, a 34 year old woman from the northeastf Sisaket province, suffered fatal injuries in the crash. Another vehicle, a Toyota Vios, also sustained significant damage in the accident.

The 29 year old female driver of the damaged Toyota Vios, whose identity was withheld, claimed she was unsure how the truck flipped over or how the collision occurred, but her vehicle was struck and seriously damaged.

The 30 year old truck driver, whose name was also withheld, stated he was driving in the left lane while the Civic was on the right.

by Nattapong Westwood

Top Photo by Khaosod

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/lorry-overturns-crushes-car-on-motorway-34-year-old-woman-killed

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

......................carrying a container and muliple cars. How many cars can an 18 wheeler carry ?

I think you misread the section written under the photo.  The Isuzu Truck carrying the container flipped over crushing and killing the driver of one of two cars in the OP.  May she RIP.

1 hour ago, Pink Mist said:

I think you misread the section written under the photo.  The Isuzu Truck carrying the container flipped over crushing and killing the driver of one of two cars in the OP.  May she RIP.

These incidents happen all over the world 24/7, they are then professionally investigated to find the cause and then hopefully limit the risks in the future, driver ban, road camber, road markings. A starting point for the investigation could be the container appears to have removed itself from the trailer, I have seen many in Thailand with faulty or no. Locking mechanism and the container bouncing away merrily on the trailer. Investigator start with the locking mechanism if it is faulty or not being used, corporate manslaughter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

......................carrying a container and muliple cars. How many cars can an 18 wheeler carry ?

Pitfalls of natural languages (I love programming languages :biggrin:)

accident involving an 18-wheeler truck carrying a container and multiple cars.

That is how I read it:

accident involving a. ...truck ... and multiple cars.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

No they don't......

Not locking the container is a frequent error here.... drivers are reckless. 

My meaning death on the roads, at the end of my post if you had taken the time to read it before commenting I suggested a look at the locking mechanism by the investigator if if is investigated at all

4 minutes ago, Almer said:

My meaning death on the roads, at the end of my post if you had taken the time to read it before commenting I suggested a look at the locking mechanism by the investigator if if is investigated at all

I read all of it.....the OP as well, which said the truck flipped over. 

The truck driver tried to blame the driver saying she cut in front of him. 

Corporate manslaughter, yeah we get convictions a lot here for that!

From the linked article:

"The ThaiRSC reported in January that as many as 939,713 road accidents were reported in Thailand last year, up 4.7% from 2021. Road accidents killed 14,737 people, and injured 924,799 last year, ThaiRSC said. The committee reported that 536 deaths and 7,885 injuries were among foreigners.

Following the Songkran holiday this year, during the ‘seven deadly days‘ from April 11 to 17, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) revealed that there were 2,203 road accidents, 2,208 injuries, and 264 deaths during this period."

For the year the average is 40.37 deaths per day.  For the 'seven deadly days' the average is  37.71 deaths per day.

So perhaps they should call it the 'seven less deadly days'

And we know the figures are much higher as they don't count those who make it to the hospital but die there.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The 18-wheeler Isuzu truck carrying a container reportedly flipped over and crushed a Honda Civic. The driver of the Civic, a 34 year old woman from the northeastf Sisaket province, suffered fatal injuries in the crash. Another vehicle, a Toyota Vios, also sustained significant damage in the accident.

How do you flip an 18-wheeler carry a container.. Jeeeeeezuz?

• Like 2

40 dead every day; another triumph for RTP!  When they are not tinkering with traffic lights to impede traffic flow they are conspicuously absent as everyone knows if they have experienced the misery of Railway Road intersections during Rush Hour.  The Sukhumvit road, having suffered three years of disruption from Sattahip onwards has now been hit with a bout of re-surfacing work.  Do NOT attempt to  shop at Makro; a huge tailback with no sign of cops.  I gave up after 30 minutes of inching.

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

How do you flip an 18-wheeler carry a container.. Jeeeeeezuz?

Speeding.

Suddenly changing direction at speed. 

Driving under the influence. 

Driving too fast for the conditions – wet road.

Not trained properly or competent for such a scenario (license issued without proper assessment etc.)

Possible poor maintenance on truck – bald tyres, brakes not functioning correctly etc. 

Not paying attention when driving – on phone.

Container loaded on the very back of the trailer which would distort the CoG. 

Many other reasons, but these are the ones that spring to mind as possibilities. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

40 dead every day; another triumph for RTP!  When they are not tinkering with traffic lights to impede traffic flow they are conspicuously absent as everyone knows if they have experienced the misery of Railway Road intersections during Rush Hour.  The Sukhumvit road, having suffered three years of disruption from Sattahip onwards has now been hit with a bout of re-surfacing work.  Do NOT attempt to  shop at Makro; a huge tailback with no sign of cops.  I gave up after 30 minutes of inching.

Evidently, they are not able to manage the crisis on the roads and are too arrogant to bring in foreigners to do it for them. 

On 5/27/2023 at 2:32 PM, Almer said:

I suggested a look at the locking mechanism by the investigator if if is investigated at all

'Investigation' will be done by the local plod who don't have a clue.

17 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Evidently, they are not able to manage the crisis on the roads and are too arrogant to bring in foreigners to do it for them. 

They are NOT going to share their day's takings with foreigners.

• Like 1