Students Fatally Stab Each Other at Sisaket Province School

webfact

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Senior school in the 70's where I was there were definitely playground monitors - usually 6th form prefects.

We had prefects, yes. Didn't command much authority though. Didn't have 6th form at our senior school. Only up to 4th. Lower 6th and 6th was at college at a different site.

I like your use of the word "playground" at senior schools. ????????????

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

I like your use of the word "playground" at senior schools.

Students/Children were aged from 11 to 18. Not sure what else you would call large areas of tarmac/concrete with them playing ball games of various sorts and generally running around?

• Like 2

Just now, topt said:

Students/Children were aged from 11 to 18. Not sure what else you would call large areas of tarmac/concrete with them playing ball games of various sorts and generally running around?

We called it a playground in junior school. It was the school yard in senior school. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not in senior school....

My experience in Thailand is that M1 and M2 (Yrs 7/8) where the hormones are raging is where the aggression is most prevalent. Prefects (Older kids) would be an excellent idea to take the time pressure of the teachers but does it count as unpaid labour or educating future leaders?

3 minutes ago, rbkk said:

My experience in Thailand is that M1 and M2 (Yrs 7/8) where the hormones are raging is where the aggression is most prevalent. Prefects (Older kids) would be an excellent idea to take the time pressure of the teachers but does it count as unpaid labour or educating future leaders?

Believe it or not, most Thai schools do have their own version of prefects. There is a head student and a student committee. Part of their role is student safety.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In a testament to the teacher's courage and quick thinking, they managed to apprehend the child responsible for the crime before law enforcement arrived to survey the scene. During subsequent questioning, the child perpetrator admitted to employing a real knife, driven by personal anger.

All a little late, don't you think.

Aren't teacher's supposed to watch over students on lunch breaks, boxing game, yeh right, could it be that Thailand's attitude is, let them sort it out, but when it all goes wrong, excuses are flying in the wind.

Tragic, but also happens around the world, just look at the USA and their schools.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbkk said:

From my 15 yrs experience as a teacher here in Thailand it is highly likely that the students were left unattended as it was lunchtime. Many a time I have been witness to students physically assaulting each other during the lunch break. Not a homeroom teacher or assistant in sight is normal for govt. and private schools both primary and secondary level. My many suggestions to stagger teacher lunch break times was never more than nodded at. The most notorious age for aggression is M2 (Mathyom) due to the hormones. Broken noses, compass stabbings, glass classroom doors smashed the list goes on, are all par for the course; sadly.

teachers never had to come and watch over us in years 5,6,7-10 ....  during breaks.  We didn't carry pocket knives around and we certainly didn't stab anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, george said:

Mor 2.

Tragic!

I wish ages were posted not Grades, Mors, mathyums, or forms. These differ from country to country and many of us, without kids have no idea what age kids they refer to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

From the headline, it says they fatally stabbed each other, but only one died in reality. It also says they were in Grade 1 and 2. They look a bit old to be Grade 1 and 2. Must be  Mor 1 and 2.

A renowned school in Sisaket Province was gripped by a shocking incident yesterday, as two young students in Mor 1 and Mor 2 engaged in a fatal altercation using a knife.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

so did the kid have the pocket knife with the intention to stab the other kid on that particular day and time or does he always carry the pocket knife around with him.   Another example of how thai people cannot control their anger and lack any after thought of their consequences.  

Very sad for the boy who lost his life at the hands of a selfish delinquent .... 

"Another example of how thai people cannot control their anger and lack any after thought of their consequences..."

Steven100.

You hit the nail right on the head there, with your observation. I can back that up every day with my situation, (mother & her 10year old daughter). Does'nt matter how blunt or loud I proclaim the fact you mention, neither ever listen or want to understand or learn. 

Thais should come with a health warning stamped on them, like cigarette manufacturers are forced to provide on their product packaging.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, flexomike said:

A renowned school in Sisaket Province was gripped by a shocking incident yesterday, as two young students in Mor 1 and Mor 2 engaged in a fatal altercation using a knife.

It has been changed now. But it originally said Grade 1 and Grade 2.

Fortunately, mass killings at schools in Thailand is not an everyday occurrence. Knives were banned in school when I was a kid.

Feel sorry for the parents who just lost a child.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

teachers never had to come and watch over us in years 5,6,7-10 ....  during breaks.  We didn't carry pocket knives around and we certainly didn't stab anyone.

When I was young we carried sheath knives, not to stab anyone, when out playing in the fields, making camps etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

When I was young we carried sheath knives, not to stab anyone, when out playing in the fields, making camps etc.

yes .... thailand really is a mess mentality wise because we also hear about Thai drinking friends shooting each other regularly .... they just can't keep it together.   imo

• Like 1

Another reminder of the topic:

Students Fatally Stab Each Other at Sisaket Province School

It has nothing to do with any alleged violent incidents in the UK, US, Scotland or any other country, those deflection posts and replies have been removed.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

yes .... thailand really is a mess mentality wise because we also hear about Thai drinking friends shooting each other regularly .... they just can't keep it together.   imo

We hear about them, I agree. However, it is a minority and most Thai students are OK. 

As for shooting. I wouldn't say "regularly". For every report of a drinking session gone wrong there are likely a million that went by without incident.

As usual, people read a report in the media and suddenly every one is tarred with the same brush.

9 hours ago, Goat said:

And the other 6 million students who attended school yesterday are other examples of how thai people control themselves.

Not really, because you can't know how many of those 6 million students faced a situation where self-control was required.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Goat said:

example of how thai people control themselves.

Aww! That never happens in the UK of course. And in the USA, they are perfect examples of restraint as for using firearms. But, of course, Thai people!

Edited by ToolKit
Improve comment
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Not really, because you can't know how many of those 6 million students faced a situation where self-control was required.

On the other hand, it could be their peers didn't give them any reason to test their self control. Therefore, 6 million students in harmony.

• Thumbs Up 1