Thailand’s Cannabis Future Network warns parties against reinstating plant as narcotic

webfact

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Regulation and taxation YES

Recriminalization NO!

I wouldn't be too quick to push for taxation,  It may well be a price we have to pay , but I don't think we should be volunteering  for it.   Especially considering where a lot of the money raised will probably end up

To be honest I'm starting to think that "recriminalisation" might actually be a lesser evil There will only be one "regulation" as before, and as somebody who generally only smokes discreetly and mainly at home that was never really an issue. The added bonus will be that all the vocal opponents will quickly disappear under their rocks and I am sick of reading the rubbish they write 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I wouldn't be too quick to push for taxation,  It may well be a price we have to pay , but I don't think we should be volunteering  for it.   Especially considering where a lot of the money raised will probably end up

To be honest I'm starting to think that "recriminalisation" might actually be a lesser evil There will only be one "regulation" as before, and as somebody who generally only smokes discreetly and mainly at home that was never really an issue. The added bonus will be that all the vocal opponents will quickly disappear under their rocks and I am sick of reading the rubbish they write 

No.

This is a potentially huge international industry for Thailand.

They will blow it entirely with this narcotics classification.

Taxation normalizes it as any other commodity.

Your view sounds very self centered.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

This is a potentially huge international industry for Thailand.

They will blow it entirely with this narcotics classification.

Taxation normalizes it as any other commodity.

Your view sounds very self centered.

Alas you are correct,  it does sound somewhat  self centered although in reality its not exactly what I am actually hoping for.  

Think of my comment as an attempt to look on the "bright side" of what I fear is a sad possibility. 

I'm all in favour of a more liberal approach and fully aware of the huge benefits that it would bring, that surely has to be evident from all my previous posts on this matter

But if the misinformed and brainwashed  who decide these things  either don't care about or choose to ignore the obvious positives  and wish to drag things back to the dark ages what can I do ?

Despite being a long term user of cannabis I don't tend to suffer from depression as some would suggest I should, so my only option is to try and put a positive spin on things from a personal perspective

In an ideal world the current situation would continue as it is but if that is not allowed to happen it will be every man for himself again

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Thailand needs ????  You should have typed "I want"  instead  Now explain why you seek to restrict the choices of grown adults?  People like you should learn to be a little more tolerant! 

Tolerant of druggies? You've got to be kidding.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

... These points you make have been being made for decades yet the conservative morons ignore them ...

Wouldn't they be progressive morons in this case?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

So who decide if there are enough pleasures. Maybe the next one want to allow weed but ban alcohol and argue there is enough pleasure. Or think any please is bad and hang drug users together with prostitutes and gays like the hardcore Muslim countries do.
Or better keep the government out of it. Ban advertising for things that are unhealthy...weed, alcohol and sugar drinks, ban kids from using it but let adults decide themself

So your alternative is open up everything and have a social collapse...

Clear regulation on these avenues is what is required... as they are with most things already.

But with weed this is something that Anutin forgot when he was going around the country on his popularity crusade.

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 1:45 PM, h90 said:
On 5/30/2023 at 2:28 PM, billd766 said:

Who appointed you to speak for everybody?

Please speak ONLY for yourself.

You certainly don't speak for every Thai person either.

It certainly is not in my best interest, nor that of my Thai wife.

He's "not speaking for everybody"  he is stating a fact.  What specific issues actually  are there for you and your "Thai " wife    is her nationality relevant ?  Would you and her have more or less problems with this if she was foreign 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

one huge benefit of descheduling was they stopped arresting good citizens for weed

How do you know and what is the difference between "arresting good citizens for weed" and "arresting bad citizens for weed"?

If the are breaking the law and being arrested they must be "bad citizens" IMO!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, candide said:

If the stepping stone effect has been a reality (only to some extent) when we were younger, this is probably not the case any more. The hippie time is over..

Young people are often going directly to chemical "club" drugs, and it's a different type of people and environment from the weed consumption related ones. I.e. people who smoke weed usually don't go dancing until the end of the night.

Thailand is a very good example. There are more drugs around than foreign people may perceive among young Thai people (at least among party goers): yaba, exstasy, ketamine, etc... They didn't start by smoking weed and are usually not interested in it: only alcohol and chemical drugs (usually both).

Its been considered an "oldies habit" by the young for ages  bit like smoking a pipe, taking snuff, or a sweet sherry/ milk stout  for granny or chewing "Maak" in the case of a Thai granny. The young don't really have that much interest. its never been considered cool to copy ones parents  maybe some on here can remember that far back

"Young people" get up to all sorts of things that many of the generation who predominate this forum  know  absolutely nothing about and would seek to put a stop to if they did ("cos I say so"  being the usual response when asked "why" or more likely "why not")

I guess there may be  good reason to worry about the headstrong independant ways of hormonal adolescents and its probably instinctive of them to feel the need to interfere "for your own good"  being another popular response

But these interfering busybodies(to put it politely) have to realise that their perceived moral authority cannot be "self  extended" to include lecturing other grown adults in the same way and that there will be plenty of opponents who will indeed "answer back" Why  they put themselves in the firing line, leaving themselves wide open to  (justified ) criticism  as they repeat the tired old reefer madness lies that they were fed 60 or more years ago is a mystery to me, especially as they would be  a lot more comfortable having a game of bingo or bridge with a cup of milky tea in the day room

"Amazingly" plenty of people take all sorts of drugs and have never touched cannabis. The myth of the "gateway" drug has long been discounted.  

Has anybody ever wondered why was that incorrect "gateway" status was never not afforded to alcohol ?  after all its just another drug. and I can guarantee that whilst  there are many users of other substances  who have never smoked cannabis there will be none who did not try alcohol first, 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Its been considered an "oldies habit" by the young for ages  bit like smoking a pipe, taking snuff, or a sweet sherry/ milk stout  for granny or chewing "Maak" in the case of a Thai granny. The young don't really have that much interest. its never been considered cool to copy ones parents  maybe some on here can remember that far back

"Young people" get up to all sorts of things that many of the generation who predominate this forum  know  absolutely nothing about and would seek to put a stop to if they did ("cos I say so"  being the usual response when asked "why" or more likely "why not")

I guess there may be  good reason to worry about the headstrong independant ways of hormonal adolescents and its probably instinctive of them to feel the need to interfere "for your own good"  being another popular response

But these interfering busybodies(to put it politely) have to realise that their perceived moral authority cannot be "self  extended" to include lecturing other grown adults in the same way and that there will be plenty of opponents who will indeed "answer back" Why  they put themselves in the firing line, leaving themselves wide open to  (justified ) criticism  as they repeat the tired old reefer madness lies that they were fed 60 or more years ago is a mystery to me, especially as they would be  a lot more comfortable having a game of bingo or bridge with a cup of milky tea in the day room

"Amazingly" plenty of people take all sorts of drugs and have never touched cannabis. The myth of the "gateway" drug has long been discounted.  

Has anybody ever wondered why was that incorrect "gateway" status was never not afforded to alcohol ?  after all its just another drug. and I can guarantee that whilst  there are many users of other substances  who have never smoked cannabis there will be none who did not try alcohol first, 

Actually, the current drugs are more in an evolution path starting with alcohol for partying and then adopting also more potent drugs for more partying.

Smoking weed was rather an alternative to drinking. That's maybe one reason why people who despised weed smoking where often to find among alcohol drinkers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

You weren't expecting much of a response to that answer were you  well sorry but....

Some might say there are adequate grounds for both to be banned thus depriving you of what you consider to be harmless enjoyment.

Golf is somewhat addictive from what I've seen, and thousands of "golf widows"  would back me up on that, there is also a strong chance of suffering personal injury, not to mention the disproportionate  number of golfers that get struck by lightning    So "Dangerous and addictive" your words I believe would be a perfectly  appropriate description  Ripe for banning isn't it ??

Football well need I mention the extreme violence that can occur amongst both players and spectators ? The terrifying spectacle of thousands of fans often intoxicated with alcohol and armed with knives or even guns running wild in the streets?  Or the proven dangers and health and safety implications of allowing 50,000 or more people congregate together in a very confined space?  Or the extortionate cost of blackmarket tickets, the proceeds from the sale of which could be used to fund organised crime?  Or the shame suffered by the parents of young girls who have been spit roasted by some of these Ridiculously overpaid animals ?  I could go on but I won't

"But but but I only watch it on the telly"  that's no way out , you are still supporting it, without the money they raise from TV it would stop tomorrow 

Lets ban them both now   ,how would you feel then?  

I’ll enjoy these things and let the druggies do what they gotta do. Hopefully drug laws become much stricter in the way that Singapore does and the druggies face the consequences.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

The same "social collapse" that has not only  conspicuously failed to occur  a whole year after decriminalization and still shows no signs of starting anytime soon ?

Surely it's time to change tack   that argument has lost all credibility 

Given time it would have, MFP want to stop the rot before it gets up steam.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1