Is Bangkok really under threat from sea level rise?

webfact

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

It's an old chestnut that's often wheeled out by Thai bashers, when the exact opposite is the truth:

"Thailand has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Netherlands to help tackle floods and water management".

Thailand taps Dutch expertise to tackle Bangkok's flooding problem (nationthailand.com)

"Somkiat said after the signing ceremony that this cooperation would be valid for three years and be automatically extended by five years if neither party objects." 2 years gone but can extend 5 more years. What exactly has been the planning and action? Based on out of control flooding in the last two years - nothing.

"the two sides will exchange know-how on water management, assist experts who dealt with the national floods in 2011, find solutions for flooding problems in Bangkok and its vicinity, and improve the weather forecast system to be more accurate." Isn't one problem is there is no Thainess-knowhow to exchange with the Dutch? And those experts who dealt with the 2011 flooding, would their "expertise" be relevant unless another failure is planned?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Ah! The floods of 2011/2 where the water wouldn't go into the sea so the great ideas men in Bangkok came up with the idea of pointing a raft of long-tailed boats upstream and have their engines running full bore to hurry the water to the sea.

Comedy gold...

That's why I didn't mention it.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Between 1901 and 2010 the sea level rose around 19cm. That's 1.7 mm/year.

In 2018 there was a plus of 3.7 mm.

So it'll take some time until Bangkok will be sinking, I guess.

Small numbers do not necessarily mean that it's a small problem.

Glaziers are shrinking at ever increasing rates. The ice sheets of Greenland, Iceland and the Antarctic are melting. All this is dumping more and more water into the sea. The sea itself is getting warmer and is expanding as it does so. 

Indonesia have already recognized the reality and have decided to move their capital.

Thailand will, inevitably have to follow suit eventually, that is providing that mankind survives long enough to see that come to fruition.

Edited by Moonlover

The Dutch also wanted to help in Indonesia, Jakarta. No clue if they got the job over there. As Jakarta is even way more sinking then BK.

However the Dutch dont know if they should save their own country. In the old google, I found stories about what to do. It is still not clear and still nothing is done.

There is even a plan of aborting Holland and go live with the Germans. 

The country is most below sea level and if sea level really rises, and or we could have a spring tide with a storm (like in 1953), all could be flooded. Meaning no more Rotterdam , the Hague, Amsterdam, all the way up to Utrecht.

So have to wait and see what is going to happen.

For Amsterdam and region they ordered 2 of the biggest pumps in the world

https://pressurewashr.com/the-worlds-most-powerful-water-pump/

60000 ltr/sec, if they start them up, probably Holland has an electric powerdip.

No clue if it is so, I could only find this by searching in English in google, I was amazed, as in Dutch searching didnt show anything. Long live AI.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Quote from the above article

As industry experts at last year’s Thailand Tourism Forum agreed, the subway system will open up more space for households and businesses,.......... 

I would reckon, given the original topic, as the subway system (not the sky train) is below ground level - flood water

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Small numbers do not necessarily mean that it's a small problem.

Glaziers are shrinking at ever increasing rates. The ice sheets of Greenland, Iceland and the Antarctic are melting. All this is dumping more and more water into the sea. The sea itself is getting warmer and is expanding as it does so. 

Indonesia have already recognized the reality and have decided to move their capital.

Thailand will, inevitably have to follow suit eventually, that is providing that mankind survives long enough to see that come to fruition.

Mankind will survive 100,000 years.

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

At least not in every street, but wait for a good storm for a few days and reconsider those areas under a couple of meters of water, they might disagree with you.

LOL you just have to go to ASOKE when there is a heavy rain but take your hip waders.

I hae no dougbt wotj tje way things are managed in Bangkok that it will end up submerged.  The city learnt nothing form the flood that we had a few years ago.  They needed to raise the walls on the canals and set up a dredging schedule.

The amount of junk that is in those canals along with the mud is going to be an issue.

I remember in the early eighties being in Bangkok in May - and the roads were flooded. As somebody pointed out - nothing new.

Sea level rise is currently metres per millenia.

And filling in all the canals to make roads was not such a smart idea......