97 year old Thai grandmother abandoned on road by daughter, found soaking in rain

ทิ้งแม่.jpg

A 97 year old grandmother was abandoned in the middle of a road in the rain by her own daughter in Thailand‘s southern Ranong province. The elderly woman managed to crawl into the grassy area beside the road, where she was eventually found today by her distressed grandchildren. The road was in the middle of a residential area.

Security camera footage in the locality showed a suspicious vehicle dropping her off on the day of the incident. A woman was seen enquiring about the whereabouts of the 97 year old grandmother in the area before leaving her there.

The children of the elderly woman, who helped her when she was discovered, expressed their anger at her daughter for abandoning her. According to them, the grandmother, who had been staying with them for over a year, was taken to Phang Nga province by her younger daughter, who then returned her back, leaving her about 50 metres from her home.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo by Khaosod

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/south/97-year-old-woman-abandoned-on-roadside-by-daughter-found-soaking-in-rain

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 5

Not 97 yet, but already 80. At this age you really can get crumpy and annoying, probably the daughter could take it any longer. 

Has to be seen, if my family choose the same way to get rid of me ????????????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, milesinnz said:

I think in the case of more than one daughter it is the older daughter

I was led to believe the youngest.... and so it would appear in the Thai family of my partner. Tell me about it.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, milesinnz said:

"I don’t understand the mentality of this daughter".. exactly... Thai family dynamics are often a lot different to those of western families - and those western family dynamics leave a lot to be desired. In Thai society it is often seen as the daughters responsibility to "look after" the parents I think in the case of more than one daughter it is the older daughter - and they then get to inherit everything and sons get nothing. But this means that the mother then often treats the daughter as some sort of slave to be kept on a very short leash often destroying the adult life of the daughter - never marry, hand over any money she earns to her mother. I have seen it on more than one occasion. Now if you were a daughter in such a situation and had been conditioned to fulfill this role, how might you feel ?

it happened to me in America.  you soon become co-dependent and resentful.. driving miss Daisy.  

My Thai MIL came to live with her daughter (my wife) for about 5 years in a small house we had built for her until she died.

Though she was several years younger than me she was the matriarch of the family and was respected, looked after and looked out for during her remaining years. She became a part of my family and I became part of hers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

15 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Daughter is not the appropriate word for this woman.  I could think of some others but they would be inappropriate for the deleted 

Deleted 

Edited by roo860

3 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Exactly, we don’t know the ins and outs of the situation. I took care of my mother for over 7 years while her dementia got worse and worse. There were times I would have loved to strangle her, or leave her somewhere, just to get away from her for a while. It can be very tough to take care of someone you love, but who is also - through no fault of their own - becoming a huge pain in the @ss. 

So please stop judging the daughter before you know the whole story. 

no matter how much a pain in the ass my mother became i would never leave her on the side of the road in the rain. 

that's straight gangster. 

• Like 1