Dangerous political flux in the aftermath of the General Election is growing and poses a threat

webfact

1 hour ago, nikmar said:

It s a bity of a grey area. According to the letter of the law, this may be correct. but as ITV are not functioning as a media company , it cant be used for self promotion. Just my opinion, but especially, considering Prayut aligned himself with the likes of Prawit (watches) and an international heroin trafficker, it would hardly be in the spirit of the law to ban him.

It would be in the spirit of the law to ban him, but not the complete MF. And just ban him for a short time, like 6month

35 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

if there is one thing rich thais hate it's losing.

this is just the beginning.

expect a war on the streets before christmas. 

And both sides are enthusiastic about it.

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

Realistically how long does it take to "investigate" this.

This particular roadblock has been dragging on for what feels like weeks.

Somebody needs to pick up a pen and start making decisions.

Couple of days max, to look at evidence and dismiss this nonsense.

Waiting for all the bids to come in.

• Like 1

Strange stories, why should any western country as Germany or USA want to influence the Thai economic politics.. It is a third world country, with many restrictions and totally influenced by China... So if China had something to do wit it I could believe it, but al the other stories are fake nothing to gain here for them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Indeed it is and any normal minded person would accept that the rules had effectively not been broken but I fear that a court of law would judge according to the letter of the law and not its spirit.

Im going with a 'no case to answer' and believe the scenario where Khun Pitas living father owned the shares in question and had Willed them to Pita. According to Thai TV yesterday, Pitas' father has since sold the shares. I would sum it up as rumour mongering. Not my business nor country, but i sincerely hope they do move forward.

Edited by tandor
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

The value of my pension is increasing with the weakness of the Baht

That's strange. I also receive my pensions in Baht, transferred over from the UK via Wise, and the exchange rate has been pretty much stable for a long time. I'd guess at least a couple of years. Same with the US$, no major change.

Anyway, political turmoil has no effect on the Thai baht anyway, as previous coups have proven. Thailand is an insignificant SE Asian backwater, and anything that happens here largely goes unnoticed by the rest of the world. What happens in Thailand is only of importance to those that live within its borders. The rest of the world hasn't the slightest interest in Thailand, financially or politically.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

Oh it appears weeks later as of June 7 they are still "considering" beginning an investigation.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/election-commission-yet-to-consider-pitas-alleged-media-share-holding/

They seem pretty content to slow down the pita train as much as they can.

Yes.... As long as the investigation has not started or the investigation is draged out the dinosaurs are the winners.......

4 hours ago, waders123 said:

Coup! Coup! Coup!  The Asian Koel singing it's bittersweet melodies to the world, perched on an extended limb overlooking the crowds below.

There may be a coup but that will only cause more protest as most people are fed up with the military.

If this falls apart then better to throw out the election and redo it after fully reviewing all potential PM before the election.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That's strange. I also receive my pensions in Baht, transferred over from the UK via Wise, and the exchange rate has been pretty much stable for a long time. I'd guess at least a couple of years. Same with the US$, no major change.

Anyway, political turmoil has no effect on the Thai baht anyway, as previous coups have proven. Thailand is an insignificant SE Asian backwater, and anything that happens here largely goes unnoticed by the rest of the world. What happens in Thailand is only of importance to those that live within its borders. The rest of the world hasn't the slightest interest in Thailand, financially or politically.

You don't know what you're talking about

There is striking evidence that amid a growing political vacuum created by political uncertainty, conservative forces in Thailand are mounting a rearguard action against the result of the May 14th General Election with a spike in online misinformation stoking fear. This is happening simultaneously with efforts by an eight-party coalition trying to form a new government while facing a minefield created by the kingdom’s election laws. The country’s complicated and onerous legal provisions have seen it still awaiting confirmation of the election results with a growing threat being presented to the prospect of Mr Pita Limjaroenrat, the charismatic young leader of the Move Forward Party, taking on the mantle of Thailand’s 30th Prime Minister in August.

A top business leader on Thursday warned that the threat of a delay in forming a new government expected in August and the rising prospect of political instability poses a twin threat to the Thai economy which is struggling to overcome a slump in exports this year.

by Joseph O' Connor

British Pound - Thai Baht Historical Forex Chart

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

There is striking evidence that amid a growing political vacuum created by political uncertainty, conservative forces in Thailand are mounting a rearguard action against the result of the May 14th General Election with a spike in online misinformation stoking fear. This is happening simultaneously with efforts by an eight-party coalition trying to form a new government while facing a minefield created by the kingdom’s election laws. The country’s complicated and onerous legal provisions have seen it still awaiting confirmation of the election results with a growing threat being presented to the prospect of Mr Pita Limjaroenrat, the charismatic young leader of the Move Forward Party, taking on the mantle of Thailand’s 30th Prime Minister in August.

A top business leader on Thursday warned that the threat of a delay in forming a new government expected in August and the rising prospect of political instability poses a twin threat to the Thai economy which is struggling to overcome a slump in exports this year.

by Joseph O' Connor

The chart is GBP vs THB btw

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

There may be a coup but that will only cause more protest as most people are fed up with the military.

10,000 protesters is about the best they can muster, irrelevant!

6 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Our state or their state???

Some of us outsiders have closer and familiar ties and bonds to the place than others, en lieu of the pretend understanding and connections that most display here. 

"Our" would be quite appropriate for those very few.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Most are indifferent about the military, as they've been for decades. 

Best keep your highly speculative sociological perspectives to the make believe surveys.

1 hour ago, delgarcon said:

by Joseph O' Connor

I'll ignore your insulting first sentence.
Your second paragraph has nothing at all to do with my post and merely repeats what is in the article.

Regarding your third paragraph, history has shown that whatever happens in Thailand has little bearing on its economy. During the last - sorry, most recent coup - I remember that the currency actually rose. It is termed Teflon Thailand.

I repeat - Thailand is so insignificant in economic terms that the effect of coups and political turmoil is also insignificant. You - or the person your referred to - has a different point of view. A different 'top business leader' might believe the opposite to the one you refer to, as why this upcoming period of turmoil should differ from previous ones isn't discussed by him, is it. It would be interesting to pose that question to him.

3 hours ago, bogs smith said:

if there is one thing rich thais hate it's losing.

this is just the beginning.

expect a war on the streets before christmas. 

Especially to another rich Thai?  .... he is not poor by any standard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well we have been here before haven't we 

The Corrupt elite shaking in their boots so make up a story at least it could be another one as FFP was tarred with the same brush in the last election. Foreign interference from a western country like who  really cares about ???????? its a bubble country so i assume no Western country would interfere 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, maddox41 said:

Foreign interference from a western country like who  really cares about ???????? its a bubble country 

it's a highly xenophobic "bubble" country, however, whose citizens' xenophobic issues are easily accessed.