Thailand says foreign arrivals could reach 30 million this year, if Chinese return

snoop1130

In CNX I have witnessed some odd behavior exhibited by retail staff.  Some appear to be rude to many Asian customers and guests.  A Thai lady I know who has traveled internationally for years told me many Thai's in CNX assume all Asian guests and customers are Chinese and assume that they will be rude.  She told me a friend from Malaysia was treated rudely by a waitress at a restaurant because of this assumption.  It appears many Thai's cannot comprehend the fact that not all Asian tourists are from China. Many are from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Tawan and other parts of East Asia.  

But of course never forget Rule #1:  Never tell a Thai person he or she is wrong.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The Tourism of Thailand said if..... IF

I suspect if they removed the need for visas (on arrival) for Chinese, Indian and a few other nationalities, they could get to 30 million faster.....numbers in v numbers out may differ!

Edited by jacko45k

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

In CNX I have witnessed some odd behavior exhibited by retail staff.  Some appear to be rude to many Asian customers and guests.  A Thai lady I know who has traveled internationally for years told me many Thai's in CNX assume all Asian guests and customers are Chinese and assume that they will be rude.  She told me a friend from Malaysia was treated rudely by a waitress at a restaurant because of this assumption.  It appears many Thai's cannot comprehend the fact that not all Asian tourists are from China. Many are from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Tawan and other parts of East Asia.  

But of course never forget Rule #1:  Never tell a Thai person he or she is wrong.  

Double wrong: As retail staff, you aren't rude to customer. Even if the customer is rude themself. You are not supposed to let your own emotions going...you shouldn't have any. You may defend yourself if treated badly but in no way proactive being rude. The job is only for the money and that includes unpleasant customer.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, h90 said:

Double wrong: As retail staff, you aren't rude to customer. Even if the customer is rude themself. You are not supposed to let your own emotions going...you shouldn't have any. You may defend yourself if treated badly but in no way proactive being rude. The job is only for the money and that includes unpleasant customer.

Preaching to the choir but try telling this to a Thai person.  As Jim Phelps was told "your mission should you decide to accept it"?  But of course Jim Phelps of the IMF (Impossible Mission Force) never turned down a mission.  I thought even the IMF could get Thai retail staff to change.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And my income could increase by 400%, if consumer confidence returns to normal, if interest rates drop, and if everyone decided at once to choose to patronize my business. And at the same time, I can jump over the moon, mine gold from the local river, win the lotto both here and in the US, get rid of all my health problems, and anything else I wish will come true.

And talk to us about the sacrifices you fools are willing to make, to get tourism back. It is not magic. You will not open your doors and have millions pouring in again. Get that? When you kick an animal that is already ill enough times, it eventually dies. Your industry is dying. You have sabotaged it to no end. And this started long before Covid, so stop with the excuses. Real men take responsibility for their mistakes. Punks, juveniles, and men with undeveloped emotional natures refuse to take responsibility for anything, and it makes them look like more of a fool.

The very first thing would be to repeal the anti foreign wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that would be had from an 80% or 100% wine duty, instead of 365%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. Billions earned, and alot of jobs, you fool.

Thailand keeps droning on and on and on, about how they want wealthy tourists. Again, what sacrifices are you willing to make? Rich tourists like to spend money when they travel. And they cannot do that here, as they do not like getting taken for a ride. Most wealthy people are smart with their money. Thailand could be making a fortune on a 25% luxury tax, instead of the 100% of more, which discourages most people from buying. How many people do you see in the luxury stores here? They are almost always completely empty. Inane. Beyond inane.

The most common complaints I have heard from wealthy friends who visit, is that we will never return to Thailand, because the wife cannot shop. She refuses to get taken for a ride, and will not spend $12,500 on the new handbag she has her eyes on, as it is $4,500 at home, and elsewhere. Rich people tend to be savvy and smart. The Thai authorities continue to insist, based on their policies, that these people are dumb. Go ahead. Continue with your nonsense. Maybe. Basically, the tourism industry here has been sabotaged. And it will be long term. 

Not to mention the tax on wine  imports are too high! Just messing with you Mike. Lol

• Haha 1

These secondary attractions don't have viable domestic airport services, and no one wants to sit in a death-trap minibus for 5-6 hours after flying in from China or Korea, or even Kuala-Lumpur.  

Edited by chalawaan

3 hours ago, h90 said:

Double wrong: As retail staff, you aren't rude to customer. Even if the customer is rude themself. You are not supposed to let your own emotions going...

The problem in Thailand is that business owners don't care whether their staff is rude to customers, as (in their mind) it is easier to get new customers than new staff...

In other countries rude staff might get fired, but not in Thailand, as it would be difficult to quickly hire new staff.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, h90 said:

Were you there in the shop at the time?

Do you know what really happened?

I wasn't and I have no idea what happened, so I followed my Mum's advice and didn't bother to post and make myself look stupid.

You on the other hand jumped in with both feet in your mouth as usual.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

I wasn't and I have no idea what happened, so I followed my Mum's advice and didn't bother to post and make myself look stupid.

Did you read what I write, or are you just barking when you are seeing me?

What shop at what time? Your answer doesn't make any sense, as you most probably didn't bother to read.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Some can't help to comment or shed an opinion towards things that they have little comprehension of. 

Quite evident here - in droves. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, h90 said:

Did you read what I write, or are you just barking when you are seeing me?

What shop at what time? Your answer doesn't make any sense, as you most probably didn't bother to read.

So you actually have no idea at all about what went on, but you still blame the staff.

23 hours ago, chalawaan said:

The average Chinese are soon going to be locked in. 

Even now the size of Chinese tour groups in Pattaya is much smaller than pre-Covid. The TAT is dreaming big, but another lockdown in China or not, numbers like in 2019 won't return anytime soon.

Ironically, while Pattaya is full of Indians, they are not mentioned much in tourism strategies anymore.

Edited by StayinThailand2much