Thai banks don't give out statements in Excel or CSV format?

I opened a restaurant a few months back and need to create a company bank account. I'd like to be able to quickly analyze the transaction data, for example "show me all incoming Grab payments in the month of August 2023" or "show me all incoming Foodpanda payments". To do this, I need my account's transaction history to be viewable in Excel, where this query would be a simple date + account name filter.

I spoke to the customer service people at Krungsri and Kasikorn, and they both said they only let you export transactions in PDF format, which cannot be used in Excel.

My lawyer who owns two restaurants herself told me she opens a different bank account for every restaurant and every delivery service, so she can do the accounting more easily by seeing the bank account's totals. This seems much more busywork to me than having a single account and simply doing filters in Excel in 5 seconds.

In case you're wondering why I don't copy-paste the PDF text, I got my hands on a friend's statements from Krungsri and Kasikorn. Kasikorn's PDFs paste into a single cell with the column and entries in the wrong order compared to the header columns. Krungsri has a column called "Withdraw/Deposit" where the values are actually written spaced over 2 columns as a positive number, so whether it's a withdrawal or a deposit the line is "previous-column 100", making it impossible to automate the import.

If all the banks are like this then I'm thinking my only option here is to have a friend write a computer script to convert a Kasikorn PDF into CSV data, but I feel I'm getting ahead of myself here, it would be mind-boggling if there's really no CSV export for a company's transaction data in Thailand. My bank's website back home has had a CSV export option since I was a teen, even for personal accounts. Does everyone else have a data entry clerk doing things by hand or something?

57 minutes ago, weelittletimmy said:

have a friend write a computer script to convert a Kasikorn PDF into CSV data, but I feel I'm getting ahead of myself here

Additionally to above:

I get emails for all my K-Bank and SCB transaction.

Often those emails include more information than is available in the Bank csv files (see last post).

I wrote a small program in Outlook VBA to check for any bank entries in my mail, analyze the mail body, and export the details into my home made csv file.

3 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

May be you can convert a pdf to excel. If you look for a software, I bet it is there. 

There is - and most of the time it is far away from perfect.

The structure of pdf files is made for printing, not data collection or export.

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

K-Bank

Login and go to

https://kbiz.kasikornbankgroup.com/menu/account/account/recent-transaction

Select a date range, at the bottom right is a button download. If you press it, you will get a .csv file.

Thanks! It blows my mind that Kasikorn's own employees at their branch didn't know this. The first one wasn't sure, called another employee, and that one said "no it's only PDF".

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

May be you can convert a pdf to excel. If you look for a software, I bet it is there. 

At least half -a-dozen good and reliable (and free) pdf-to-excel services on the internet. I use a couple of them frequently.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The structure of pdf files is made for printing, not data collection or export.

The pdf's I import are multi-page and/or multi-format and I haven't encountered unmanageable  issues.

Anyway, moot point as the banks the OP is talking about do provide .csv format statement downloads.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, weelittletimmy said:

Thanks! It blows my mind that Kasikorn's own employees at their branch didn't know this. The first one wasn't sure, called another employee, and that one said "no it's only PDF".

If they don't know they will just guess, happens everywhere 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, weelittletimmy said:

That surprised you.  :giggle:

14 hours ago, weelittletimmy said:

In case you're wondering why I don't copy-paste the PDF text, I got my hands on a friend's statements from Krungsri and Kasikorn. Kasikorn's PDFs paste into a single cell with the column and entries in the wrong order compared to the header columns.

I use Acrobat on KBanks password PDF statements, using copy with format option and it pastes into correct cells on my Excel sheet.

18 hours ago, MJCM said:

With Bangkok Bank it’s possible see screenshot

666378248_2023-06-0920-58-50.jpeg.ba378e3af27272bce3f1c10cc5e29c43.jpeg

Edit: maybe this helps

https://www.howtogeek.com/770474/how-to-import-data-from-a-pdf-to-microsoft-excel/

I have an account at both Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank and download my statements every month.

I get the option of Excel, CSV or PDF.

Kasikorn statements are from the oldest date to the newest and BBK is from the newest to the oldest. For them I go to (I think data) on the ribbon, and change the direction.

I then made up an Excel spreadsheet and copy/paste with the data I use regularly and sort it out from there. I have been doing it that way for years and I am comfortable with it.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Use this one,I bet it will be perfect. Both the software were as old as the MSDOS.If it is not perfect,  I don't think the developers are just sitting idle instead of fixing the issues. I tried one and it came out perfect. 

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/pdf-to-excel.html

Edited by CartagenaWarlock