Russian Motorbike Rider Dies After Colliding With Truck in Chonburi, Music May Have Distracted Rider

webfact

image.jpeg

Chonburi – A Russian motorbike rider died after he collided his motorbike with a truck in Mueang Chonburi.

The Mueang Chonburi Police was notified of the accident on Tuesday morning (June 13th) on Sukhumvit Road near the Wiboon Thammrak Intersection in Nong Maidang.

Police and rescue workers arrived at the scene to find the body of a 45-year-old Russian man (The Pattaya is withholding his name pending embassy and family notification).

His body was still on his motorbike which had crashed into the rear end of the truck.

By Goongnang Suksawat

TOP PHOTO: TMN Cable TV

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/06/13/russian-motorbike-rider-dies-after-colliding-with-truck-in-chonburi-music-may-have-distracted-rider/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It is all has to do with the laws of average, when you have X numbers of motorcycles on the road a certain percentage of them will meet with unfortunate end, being Thai, Russians or any other nationality, so we will be reading such articles over and over again for years to come.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

It is all has to do with the laws of average, when you have X numbers of motorcycles on the road a certain percentage of them will meet with unfortunate end, being Thai, Russians or any other nationality, so we will be reading such articles over and over again for years to come.

I definitely agree with your point that with more tourists of a certain nationality there will be more 'news' from that certain nationality....  The the news reporting here does seem to operate with a certain degree of confirmation-bias. 

Just as we see... Oh...  Brits or Aussies in yet another physical altercation - is the media just picking up on those stories and ignoring the Chinese tourists who got in a flight because its draws less attention from the readers ?... 

... the same with vehicular accidents....  Are we seeing reading of more accidents because there are more Russians here, or because those involved with the media know that feeds us which in turn feeds a wider response?

Certainly the Worst driving I've seen is in the Middle East, but we only see the reporting on Middle East guys on Motorcycles in Pattaya and Phuket.... 

Or... is it, these are the patterns that actually exist and what we see in the news truly is events which occur disproportionately to the per-capita numbers of those nationals within Thailand ????

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I definitely agree with your point that with more tourists of a certain nationality there will be more 'news' from that certain nationality....  The the news reporting here does seem to operate with a certain degree of confirmation-bias. 

Just as we see... Oh...  Brits or Aussies in yet another physical altercation - is the media just picking up on those stories and ignoring the Chinese tourists who got in a flight because its draws less attention from the readers ?... 

... the same with vehicular accidents....  Are we seeing reading of more accidents because there are more Russians here, or because those involved with the media know that feeds us which in turn feeds a wider response?

Certainly the Worst driving I've seen is in the Middle East, but we only see the reporting on Middle East guys on Motorcycles in Pattaya and Phuket.... 

Or... is it, these are the patterns that actually exist and what we see in the news truly is events which occur disproportionately to the per-capita numbers of those nationals within Thailand ????

I think we can expect to see more of these news reports concerning Russians. They are frequently younger due to fleeing the draft.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Two died yesterday.  Russians are getting a bad reputation for driving (as well).

I can't imagine many Russians have motorbike experience or ever owned one in a very cold country as Russia, with badly maintained roads :unsure:

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I can't imagine many Russians have motorbike experience or ever owned one in a very cold country as Russia, with badly maintained roads :unsure:

Completly depends on where in Russia, some places have very little snow. The country is so big. People who live near the Black Sea have very little snow.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Two died yesterday.  Russians are getting a bad reputation for driving (as well).

Russian drivers and Thai traffic are a perfect storm!

There's entire channels just dedicated to Russian dashcam footage, and while it's true idiots in cars are found everywhere, it's insane how these guys almost seem to be on a Kamikaze mission. 

The fact this guy is reportedly still wedged on the bike in death sounds like it's a particularly horrific ending. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Those Facebook videos of vehicle accidents often include a lot of clips from Russia, suggesting bad driving skills there to go with often bad and icy conditions. Jumping on a powerful bike, and driving on the other side of the road after a pint of vodka is a dangerous game.  

Where in either report does it say that he jumped on his bike after a pint of vodka, and was driving on the other side of the road ? or did you just make that nonsense up yourself ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Seems like he had a problem listening to music at the same time as looking what was in front of him. 

Seems like the reporting made quite the assumption as they often do with the news here.... 

Did the 'blue tooth speaker and music' have any impact on the incident at all????... or was that extra observation just something the reporter picked up on an assumed blame?

IF the rider was carrying a 'durian' would the reporter have blamed that?

OR... was the motorcyclist trying to 'change the song' and using his phone distracted him?

One thing is for sure, if someone is riding around on a motorycycle with a 'speaker playing music' they're a bit of a T!T.... (riding across interstate roads on Goldwing is somewhat different to riding around town with a BT speaker).

31 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Motorcycling is very popular in Russia as it was in the USSR before those heady days. Have you never seen Putin riding with his biking pals, the Night Wolves?

I saw a large group of Russian bikers when I visited Sevastopol back in the days when one could. They were regular visitors apparently. Perhaps they were Putin's emissaries in disguise.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-brands/russian-motorcycle-brands/

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Motorcycling is very popular in Russia as it was in the USSR before those heady days. Have you never seen Putin riding with his biking pals, the Night Wolves?

Yes, but that is a bit specialized and probably not encompassing the average Russian tourist. I bet one does not see 200 bikes waiting for the lights on a Moscow junction in December, as one does in Bangkok.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How did you work that out?

Maybe you should read the news a little bit better. Then you can also work something out.

Maybe you should understand the nuances of the English language a little bit before posting your admonishment.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, but that is a bit specialized and probably not encompassing the average Russian tourist. I bet one does not see 200 bikes waiting for the lights on a Moscow junction in December, as one does in Bangkok.

Oh for sure biking is nowhere near as prolific in Russia as it is here. And given the weather in most regions that's hardly surprising!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Two died yesterday.  Russians are getting a bad reputation for dying (as well).

As are Ukrainians.

Have there been frequent reports of Ukrainians being killed in motorcycle accidents or are you just trying to derail the topic?   Where were they reported?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Likely a lack of experience riding a bike. Anyone who is smart and experienced, would never listen to music while riding a motorbike anywhere, much less in Thailand. 100% of your attention is needed to survive here on the roads. Driving here is not a game. 

Ask yourself one thing. Is my life already complicated enough, without a serious bike accident? Darwin insisted that some species and some members of those species were more fit for survival than others. It would appear the roads here, and especially motorbike riders, are a perfect example of his theories in action. 

It takes certain qualities to survive on the roads here. Patience, being very conscious of your surroundings, driving defensively, avoiding excessive speed, especially in town, not driving while drunk, following basic traffic rules and laws and avoiding being overly stupid, at all times. 

Edited by spidermike007

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have there been frequent reports of Ukrainians being killed in motorcycle accidents or are you just trying to derail the topic?   Where were they reported?

Ukrainians are too busy defending there country to holiday in Pattaya.  The increase in Russian deaths is a statistical fact caused by an influx of draft dodgers by Russian families turning their backs on Putin's war.  So yes I was trying to derail or add another dimension to the topic.