Police Warn of Restaurant Scam: Fake Customers Demand Refunds for Incorrect Food Deliveries

webfact

This makes no sense.

When there are errors in orders you complain to the delivery company. 

The delivery company calls the restaurant for their side of the story and then if a decision is made to refund it comes from the delivery company.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have called the restaurant myself many times when my orders were not correct not the delivery company.  The rider picks up the order which has your name on it.  They then double check the name when they deliver it, and many take a photo as proof they delivered it to you, at least in BKK they do.  Many times the restaurant realizes they put the wrong item in a wrong bag, remake the order and send it out to us.  So it makes perfect sense.

Interesting.

I stand corrected.

It would never occur to me to call the restaurant when using a delivery service.

As far as I'm concerned I'm doing business with the delivery service. 

I order through them and pay through them.

I only complain when there is a real problem that I can document so.I get satisfaction when I do. From the delivery companies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This makes no sense.

When there are errors in orders you complain to the delivery company. 

The delivery company calls the restaurant for their side of the story and then if a decision is made to refund it comes from the delivery company.

Many restaurants accept orders direct from the customer without ordering via a delivery service.

• Like 1

Another thing when a restaurant uses a delivery service such as grab, food panda, etc.  they don't get paid right then.  So it would not be like the restaurant is returning money they already received.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

However, upon further investigation, they discovered that there were no records of customers who had placed orders during the specified time or at the stated prices. When owners attempted to confirm the legitimacy of the claims, the scammers disappeared.

Confirm the order with the rider before any refunds, simple.

If the refunds are going into a bank account, surely the culprits would be easy to track down? It's the 'insignificant' amounts involved that make it easier for police to issue a warning to restaurants rather than investigate further.

I used to deliver.....is why u see the guys snap a pic when pick up...id also snap a pic when i drop off as some ppl dont want to open door(covid-etc) so i have proof i delivered it

others would lure you with a big tip and then retract the tip after you drove way out of your zone......killed my car doing it.....wore our brakes..speeding tixs etc........and of course..humans.. ????