Job offer in the middle of nowhere - would you take it?

CLW

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Agree, I also work on rotation on a great salary, my company normally pays a bonus for working in places most people don't want to work. 

If it's a lousy, poor paying job with little time off you'd be a fool to take the job, but these days people are desperate to live in Thailand, desperate enough to do anything to stay. 

I feel sorry to be those desperate people, probably time to go home, get a descent job with descent salary rather than stay in Thailand under sufferance. 

With 7 or 8% inflation in west and not liking it much. But one option is work west, holiday Thai.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:44 PM, bignok said:

With 7 or 8% inflation in west and not liking it much. But one option is work west, holiday Thai.

Yes, agree.

Working Thailand is OK If you can work for a low salary that's fine but I wouldn't survive. 

I work offshore, on a 28/28 day rotation, returning to Thailand every month away, I get paid US$, my company pays my taxes. 

There's not much offshore drilling in Thailand, I worked offshore Songkla for a few years earning US$ which was acceptable. 

Most foreigners working in Thailand must be doing it tough, low salary, not being able to enjoy themselves going away, shopping, eating nice restaurants etc. buying properties or vehicles, like I said, not for me. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 6/22/2023 at 11:42 AM, steven100 said:

so CLW ... did you end up taking the job ?

Nope, some other foreigner from abroad is coming.

The last guy from Canada lasted three weeks and I doubt the new one will be any different

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2023 at 5:22 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This just about says all we need to about the Op...  he's likely going to struggle wherever he is. 

Oh really, what do you want to do or talk with village guys? Daydrinking and talking about the upcoming lottery numbers? The place is a ghost town, because everyone who can, left to Bangkok or another city to work and have higher standard of living.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:58 PM, Lacessit said:

If you are going to think negatively about a job before you have even taken it, the result is predictable.

As long as you have an internet connection, you should not be lacking entertainment. Do something creative, such as writing a book.

Why do you need a gym? Plenty of workout videos on YouTube.

You should regard any job as an opportunity. Who knows, you may even get to enjoy it.

I am looking for a Nowhere Job.

I would take the job, if it involved teaching Chinese online, and editing either MA theses, or PhD dissertations, written by either Chinese students or Thai students, or Cambodian students, or Burmese students.

In fact, I would love a job like that.

The only deal-breaker might be the potential for rooster noise.  I am unable to tolerate rooster noise when I work.

Personally, I like the middle of nowhere.  But if your young and randy, then it's probably not the best fit for you.  Any only you will know.

Take a one year contract.  You'll know after a year. 

Personally I spent 3 full years teaching in Korat.  When I move back to 'the middle of nowhere' Lamphun Province, I offered to teach at multiple government schools - for freaking free - but all I required was that he school step up and work with the MOL to obtain a work permit.  Not one school in the entire Amphur was interested.  So my attitude toward Thai public schools got flushed down the the loo. In my humble opinion, Thais are happy to use you without reciprocation. 

But you having a paying job in an rural setting with a work permit?  Kudos!

Dude - Embrace it.  Village life is good.  It just ain't the big city but it has it positives and negatives.  Give it a shot. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

Personally, I like the middle of nowhere.  But if your young and randy, then it's probably not the best fit for you.  Any only you will know.

Take a one year contract.  You'll know after a year. 

Personally I spent 3 full years teaching in Korat.  When I move back to 'the middle of nowhere' Lamphun Province, I offered to teach at multiple government schools - for freaking free - but all I required was that he school step up and work with the MOL to obtain a work permit.  Not one school in the entire Amphur was interested.  So my attitude toward Thai public schools got flushed down the the loo. In my humble opinion, Thais are happy to use you without reciprocation. 

But you having a paying job in an rural setting with a work permit?  Kudos!

Dude - Embrace it.  Village life is good.  It just ain't the big city but it has it positives and negatives.  Give it a shot. 

Korat, where. The city or province? That makes a huge difference

3 hours ago, CLW said:

Nope, some other foreigner from abroad is coming.

The last guy from Canada lasted three weeks and I doubt the new one will be any different

geeze ....  it seems hard to please some folks,  I spent 5yrs in Saudi Arabia in the desert most of the time.

but each has their complacency and comfort zone,  for me I didn't / don't care as long as I'm busy and not bored every day.

I really don't want to be outside central Bangkok anymore unless I'm on a beach. It's sort of minimum level intelligence for me. The air isn't clean, nor are the streets but I like the buzz and the roving packs of beauties coming and going.

No car, moto. Depreciating assets plus maintenance.

What's good money? Above 67.5 plus bonus?

Edited by Plern

4 hours ago, CLW said:

Oh really, what do you want to do or talk with village guys? Daydrinking and talking about the upcoming lottery numbers? The place is a ghost town, because everyone who can, left to Bangkok or another city to work and have higher standard of living.

I could have written this hahaha. This all day long ????