Money in bank for extension based on marriage - minimum must be kept there whilst under consideration?

I've been married 10 years today,although been together 20,so happy anniversary to me and my teelac today Phitsanulokjohn.

Each immigration office is different.For instance I have only been visited once on my very first application.After the annual under consideration stamp,I just send the missus down to the IO with my passport and they stamp in a 1 year extension and place a 90 day paper inside.The official rules state the 400k must be in your bank for at least 2 months prior to application,

but like I said all IO'S are different.Personally for the loss of such small interest,I wouldn't be prepared to take the chance,over something that could have the potential and aggravation to cost me a lot more money than the small amount of interest it could earn me,but up2u. 

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Then open a Mee Tee account with KrungSRI bank at 0.9% up to 2 million. guessing your with BKB.

Thanks, that's a good compromise. Rate is 1.1%/y for first 100k, so effective rate for 400k is 0.95%/y. Over the 3 month period for extension of stay, that'd earn almost 1k THB, which is better than nothing.

Though I've read somewhere people recently have had success with using SCB EZ Savings (which is passbookless) for extension of stay. That'd be even better if it really is possible now.

Edited by omnipresent

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

I read some place that banks were considering raising the interest rate paid to 2% , 400,000 baht at 2% will net about 600baht. Not enough money to take a chance for IMO.

I have other funds which could go into a better interest account, 7 months at 600 Baht admittedly only 4,200 (or 6 boxes of beer) but it's better in my pocket than in the banks.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I have other funds which could go into a better interest account, 7 months at 600 Baht admittedly only 4,200 (or 6 boxes of beer) but it's better in my pocket than in the banks.

I agree, but is it worth the risk?

I would at least keep it there until your extension is approved , My extension based on marriage usually comes back in about a month , perhaps a bit less. 

You still get 6 months worth of beer. et me know when you do, I am coming over and will even bring the ice :smile:

41 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I forgot to mention that I like how your mind works :clap2:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, omnipresent said:

Thanks, that's a good compromise. Rate is 1.1%/y for first 100k, so effective rate for 400k is 0.95%/y. Over the 3 month period for extension of stay, that'd earn almost 1k THB, which is better than nothing.

Though I've read somewhere people recently have had success with using SCB EZ Savings (which is passbookless) for extension of stay. That'd be even better if it really is possible now.

It Was 1.1% and only up to 1m then went down to 0.9% up to 2m has it gone back up ? what I forgot to add is that Krungsri only take about 20min even for a years statement. I have closed my SCB ez  last week, cos even they couldn't open it on MY laptop, they told me oh you'll have to download their app. well me and phone apps just don't get along. 

Then in todays news on Fab 108 SCB EZ have been hacked so now it's App only. :crying:

Edited by brianthainess

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's ridiculous. I've been married for over 32 years, lived in Thailand with her for close to 30 years and still have to wait for weeks while they decide whether I can 'visit' her. And then I have to report myself to immigration every three months as if I'm a criminal on probation.

What, exactly, do they spend a month considering? They have evidence money is in the bank, they have the Kor Ror 2 confirming we are married. What the **** is their problem?

The whole "under consideration" process is extremely annoying, but I can explain why it takes so long.

Once every few days to a week, your immigration office sends all applications (visas and some extensions) to Division headquarters for scrutiny by the staff there, and eventually by a senior responsible official. When that official gets around to it, he checks everything out and approves the application. It goes into his out tray. Once every few days to a week, approved applications are returned to your immigration office. This whole merry-go-round with the paperwork, and delays waiting for movement between offices is time consuming.

Should there be a better process (ideally, just abolishing the under consideration thing altogether)? Yes, but do not hold your breath.

• Like 1